5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why most cars don't let you flip on the rear view camera to see what's behind you while driving? Most cars have at least 3 mirrors to look behind, so it shouldn't be a safety/distraction issue., the more visibility, the better!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Wonder why they all don't; if they already have the camera and screen. It's just a matter of a switch or button....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Money. It takes a more expensive camera to be able to function both ways. Remember these are budget cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just another program to write. And you would really need a dual focus camera to make it useful.

Any time you add an extra feature it adds cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Turning on the camera while driving is possible with the 'secret' or service menu section of the infotainment, which is accessed by holding the home button and double clicking the set/tune knob. The camera can be tested while driving.

Kinda cool, also distracting/disorienting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not a huge thing, but when I back up EXACTLY perpendicular to a cement parking "head stone", the camera shows me at an angle, one red hash mark is about 4 inches further back than the other side. The net effect is that I park crooked sometimes unless I self-correct. Is this adjustable?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine too. Maybe not 4, but noticeable, not a big thing, I’m glad it has a camera, so very helpful!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you want to see when someone rear-ends you? Ive used these kind of cameras before in german vehicles and in the newer hondas... nothing really spectacular about it

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's not a huge thing, but when I back up EXACTLY perpendicular to a cement parking "head stone", the camera shows me at an angle, one red hash mark is about 4 inches further back than the other side. The net effect is that I park crooked sometimes unless I self-correct. Is this adjustable?
The camera lines are adjustable through the service diagnostic menu mentioned above. Hold down the home button and double click the tuning knob. There is an option for the camera in the menu tabs.

·
Banned
417 Posts
My Imp's rearview camera is more than adequate for me. Besides the guide lines I've been used to, it has lines that show where I'll go depending on my steering angle.

I used the dealer/service menus to have it stay on for a selectable time after moving forward and got rid of the warning at the bottom. The lines, as noted, can be adjusted... IF you are absolutely certain they should be. ;)

There have long been mods to allow the camera on whenever one wants it, including driving. Don't see the need for that myself. I don't like anything distracting my driving... even my phone is set to end notifications while in the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts