5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Doing some research on the impreza and one of the things I'm looking at getting clarification is remote start. Which trim has it standard? It's a plus here in the southwest in the summer and nice in the winter also.

Thanks!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hello all,

Doing some research on the impreza and one of the things I'm looking at getting clarification is remote start. Which trim has it standard? It's a plus here in the southwest in the summer and nice in the winter also.

Thanks!
No trim has it standard, but it can be added as an accessory when purchasing vehicle. Funny you post that though, I was at the dealer last Saturday & they quoted me $609 for the remote starter & installation :eek::eek: That's too expensive. Probably just go with an A/M one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check what they'll quote when we do a test drive. It's one of those things that you can't let go once you have it for while.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check what they'll quote when we do a test drive. It's one of those things that you can't let go once you have it for while.
I'm sure the cost varies from dealer to dealer too, but let me know what they say. What trim are you considering?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I built one from the subaru site as a basis for what we'll be looking at. 5 door premium with Eyesite, BSD, Cross Traffic with Remote Start, msrp ~$24,360

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2010 car with remote start which was good in cold weather to warm up the interior but I haven't used it quite often since I have relocated to a warmer place. I had to pay around $300 then.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I built one from the subaru site as a basis for what we'll be looking at. 5 door premium with Eyesite, BSD, Cross Traffic with Remote Start, msrp ~$24,360
That's awesome. I'm not trying scare you away from the EyeSight system, but just so you know, if the windshield ever needs to be replaced, the EyeSight system needs to be calibrated at the dealer. Otherwise from what I hear, it's probably the best system out there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a 2010 car with remote start which was good in cold weather to warm up the interior but I haven't used it quite often since I have relocated to a warmer place. I had to pay around $300 then.
That sounds about right. I was quoted $350 for an A/M remote starter, but I'll wait until winter is closer to get it done.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Hopefully one day remote start ends up being a standard option on every model. I had an A/M remote start and security system in a previous vehicle and it was great, but I don't think the remote start was installed correctly. It ended up causing tons of problems with my car so I'm hesitant to add one unless it's factory installed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Keep in mind that the Subaru remote start feature will turn the engine off when you open the door.

I find this to be a bit annoying, but not the end of the world.

That being said, one should be able to get it installed fairly cheap by the dealer when you purchase. Just include it as part of the negotiation. We were able to order ours with several accessories, including remote start, plus a spare key and got a total price well below MSRP including taxes and fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind that the Subaru remote start feature will turn the engine off when you open the door.

I find this to be a bit annoying, but not the end of the world.
Thanks for the good info. This is interesting lol and probably annoying as you mentioned. We're dragging our feet going for a test drive as it's too dang hot out... no fun getting inside a car sitting in the lot when it's 110F outside.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the good info. This is interesting lol and probably annoying as you mentioned. We're dragging our feet going for a test drive as it's too dang hot out... no fun getting inside a car sitting in the lot when it's 110F outside.
That is another disadvantage to bear in mind. I'd have the salesperson start the car, bring it to the door & let it idle for a few minutes with the A/C on full blast :smile2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
wait, it always shuts the car off if you open the door? Or is that only if you don't have the fob in your pocket? if it always shuts off, regardless of if you have the fob or not, it may be a deal breaker for me.

I appreciate any feedback

·
Registered
137 Posts
wait, it always shuts the car off if you open the door? Or is that only if you don't have the fob in your pocket? if it always shuts off, regardless of if you have the fob or not, it may be a deal breaker for me.

I appreciate any feedback
It always shuts off when you open the door. That is a security feature. Its not so bad. Saying it's a deal breaker seems a bit over dramatic. I press the button before I put my seat belt on and it's started and ready to go before I can reach over and shift into gear.

Or do like my wife does and start it 20 minutes before she actually needs to leave. Its started, ran it's cycle, and timed out before she gets to it. She doesn't hear it shut off when she opens the door but its still warmed up.

It would be nice if there was a preference in the system settings. But even with the latest update installed, I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Other thing I find annoying is because of the digital heater controls, it does not get left of max defrost. With analogue controls you could put max heat max blow and your car is toasty, now its just a small about of heat and air. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Other thing I find annoying is because of the digital heater controls, it does not get left of max defrost. With analogue controls you could put max heat max blow and your car is toasty, now its just a small about of heat and air. Very disappointing.
Are you saying your defroster doesn't turn on with the remote start? It does front and rear on mine, which has the automatic climate control stuff. My car is nice and toasty after it runs its cycle. Especially with the seat warmers on. Our previous car (Pontiac G6) would leave the seat heater off during remote starting. So this is a nice step up in pre-heating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a heads up that if you have pushbutton start on your car, you can also use your regular key to activate and deactivate the remote start, so you wouldn't need to carry the fob in addition to the key. To start press the lock button 2 times within 2 seconds and then press and hold the lock button for 3 seconds. To shutdown, press and hold the lock button for 2 seconds. See page 7-18 in the manual for details. Apparently, the fob has a longer range than the key, but it hasn't ever been an issue for me.

I wasn't really looking for remote start, but it was on the car that was available and I've ended up really liking it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts