5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the 6.5" head unit in my '17 Impreza Premium.
I've been mulling over whether I could upgrade it to the larger 8" screen. I really dislike the large bezel and smallish screen that comes on the base and premium, and I will never forgive Subaru for creating this difference in the trim.

There are a couple 8" units available on Ebay, not exactly cheap at $850, but it's the stock radio.
IMPREZA 2017 Radio/Audio | eBay
and
IMPREZA 2017 Radio/Audio 81356 | eBay

Does anyone know whether the larger radio will work in the premium trim? I'm assuming the navigation will not, but what about everything else?

I've already taken apart my radio to upgrade to the Rockford Fosgate speakers (check my other thread on that). Looking at the back connections, the 8" unit looks pretty much the same.

What about a completely different aftermarket head unit? Anyone considering changing out the radio completely?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I currently have the 6.5" head unit in my '17 Impreza Premium.
I've been mulling over whether I could upgrade it to the larger 8" screen. I really dislike the large bezel and smallish screen that comes on the base and premium, and I will never forgive Subaru for creating this difference in the trim.

There are a couple 8" units available on Ebay, not exactly cheap at $850, but it's the stock radio.
IMPREZA 2017 Radio/Audio | eBay
and
IMPREZA 2017 Radio/Audio 81356 | eBay

Does anyone know whether the larger radio will work in the premium trim? I'm assuming the navigation will not, but what about everything else?

I've already taken apart my radio to upgrade to the Rockford Fosgate speakers (check my other thread on that). Looking at the back connections, the 8" unit looks pretty much the same.

What about a completely different aftermarket head unit? Anyone considering changing out the radio completely?
If I were you I would defiantly go aftermarket. I?m going to try and find the review of some very impressive looking and operating screens I saw installed in a Subaru and for half the price of that 850 ripoff.

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
I think with the skill and desire you can do whatever you want to your car man, go for it and post up your steps and some photos for us to help people who may want to do the same project.

Take care and good luck!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would assume that it would work just fine since it is an option on the 17 Impreza...however the opening in your vehicle will not be the same

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I purchased an 8" Harman Kardon unit from another member on this board and installed it tonight.
Everything fits fine, BUT the volume control does not work. I can't adjust the volume by either the knob or the steering wheel. The volume just stays at a constant level...
I reset the unit multiple times and disconnected the battery, no dice.

This sucks because I really wanted the larger screen in the factory format.

I know this part model is listed to work only on the sport trim, but all the connections are identical.

Anyone know why only the volume doesn't work properly?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It could be a bad head unit. To have all be fine except volume appears weird but it may also have to do with the output connections and how it ties through the external amp in the high end units. Other than that, I am at a loss.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be a bad head unit. To have all be fine except volume appears weird but it may also have to do with the output connections and how it ties through the external amp in the high end units. Other than that, I am at a loss.
The head unit worked fine in the seller's sport model.
It's probably just different outputs like you said.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I purchased an 8" Harman Kardon unit from another member on this board and installed it tonight.
Everything fits fine, BUT the volume control does not work. I can't adjust the volume by either the knob or the steering wheel. The volume just stays at a constant level...
I reset the unit multiple times and disconnected the battery, no dice.

This sucks because I really wanted the larger screen in the factory format.

I know this part model is listed to work only on the sport trim, but all the connections are identical.

Anyone know why only the volume doesn't work properly?
I was looking to do the same thing. Do you know if the resolution on the 8" is higher than the 6" one?

As for your problem, do you see the volume dialog come up when you press the buttons or turn the knobs?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking to do the same thing. Do you know if the resolution on the 8" is higher than the 6" one?

As for your problem, do you see the volume dialog come up when you press the buttons or turn the knobs?
The screen looks decent, I don't know the exact resolution on the 8".
Yes, the volume dial graphic appears and moves correctly. The sound just does not adjust.

Could it be related to the Rockford Fosgate amp I installed?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The screen looks decent, I don't know the exact resolution on the 8".
Yes, the volume dial graphic appears and moves correctly. The sound just does not adjust.

Could it be related to the Rockford Fosgate amp I installed?
Can you try it without the amp in the system?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Seriously...

I'm really thinking it's the amp that is causing the problem.
Nothing else makes sense.
Ya if the dial is moving up and down on the screen I'd assume whatever connection you need between the receiver and the amp is either not wired correctly or isn't connected.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 8" head units are designed to specifically "talk" with the HK amp in the cars that it comes with. I am guessing but pretty sure it's a connection/amp issue. Same thing happened with the 15-17 Fujitsu top-line radios in the Legacy, Outback and Forester models and you have to decipher the pinouts and go from there to actually hook up and bypass the amp it was designed to communicate with.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 8" head units are designed to specifically "talk" with the HK amp in the cars that it comes with. I am guessing but pretty sure it's a connection/amp issue. Same thing happened with the 15-17 Fujitsu top-line radios in the Legacy, Outback and Forester models and you have to decipher the pinouts and go from there to actually hook up and bypass the amp it was designed to communicate with.
This^^^

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Can anyone take a guess what will happen when I remove the external Rockford Fosgate amp from my system and rewire with the original setup to the head unit?
Do the upgraded Rockford Fosgate front door speakers need that additional power from the amp?

Do you think the 8" head unit will work without an external amp?

If I were to purchase the stock Harman Kardon external amp and somehow get the factory wiring harness that connects to the 8" head unit, will everything just work?

I called a local Subaru dealer about getting the wiring to the stock HK amp and one of the techs came back and said I would have to rewire the whole car. I can't imagine it's that complicated.

I don't have a clue what the wiring harness part number is for the HK amp. The dealer was pretty much stumped as well.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts