5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
It looks like the systen uses AVC-LAN to communicate with the amp. I'm not a car audio guy, is this something your amplifier supports? If so it's probably just a matter of moving the pins from the stock adapter into the wires your amp is expecting.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
It looks like the systen uses AVC-LAN to communicate with the amp. I'm not a car audio guy, is this something your amplifier supports? If so it's probably just a matter of moving the pins from the stock adapter into the wires your amp is expecting.
What the heck is that hieroglyphics diagram?!? I don't know what to make of it.

All I want to find is an adapter wiring harness that hooks to the stock Harman Kardon speaker output, so it can work with other amps, like the Rockford Fosgate.

What about this puppy:
http://ae64.com/10-6-pincombinedharness.htm

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Well, I'm sad to report that the 6.5" to 8" head unit swap was a FAIL.

The 8" unit fits fine in the space, but the wiring must be a bit different causing a loss in functionality over the volume and equalizer.

I thought it may have been because I was using the Rockford Fosgate amp. I disconnected the amp wiring and wired the original harness directly to the head unit.

Another thing I noticed was that the unit's fan seemed to keep running even after I turned off the ignition and exited the vehicle.

This really sucks.
Anyone have any ideas to make the 8" unit work in a Premium model???

·
Registered
206 Posts
You could try a line out converter to an aftermarket amp... The volume controls may work. In mine, the Line Out Converter is hooked up to the driver side door speaker and the volume did adjust to the subwoofer. Maybe you could hook up the line out converter directly to the head unit... use it to give input to the aftermarket amp(or even your RF one if you can figure out how to hook it up) with the amp powering all of the speakers. It would be a crazy wiring fiasco, but it should work. If you go through with it definitely test it before you wire everything in. Sorry if this wasn't clear, but it is the only thing I can think of. As for the fan issue, I am clueless. Sounds like something in the programming of the car. Maybe leave the radio for a while and see how long the fan is on. it might turn off after a while once the radio cools down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any insight for this volume issue, I am in the process of doing the same thing and i'm having the same problem (didn't see this thread before I bought it). Also, when I plug in my iPhone to the USB port to get carplay it doesn't work, charges my phone for a split second then turns off then repeats. I read above that I would need a certain amp, does anyone know which one specifically? Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I still have 8" unit sitting in storage since I gave up installing it correctly with the volume/ amp issue. Let me know if you figure it out!

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may be a bit late to the party here but i believe something like this would work for you to add an aftermarket amplifier, basically this will just clip into the wiring harness behind the head unit and then plug into the back of the head unit and then you have you rca's to run to the amplifier. And then the head unit wont even realise that its bypassing the old amp.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQUL240/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yWvgCb3T3AZWF

·
Registered
187 Posts
What the heck is that hieroglyphics diagram?!? I don't know what to make of it.
:grin2: I guess you’re not an engineer, I’ve been drawing diagrams like that for over 38 years. Each block of the “System Block Diagram” may even have it’s own sub-block diagram depending on how complex the system is. Finally when you dig down deep enough you will get to the electrical schematic for each function. Divide and conquer, makes the job much easier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may be a bit late to the party here but i believe something like this would work for you to add an aftermarket amplifier, basically this will just clip into the wiring harness behind the head unit and then plug into the back of the head unit and then you have you rca's to run to the amplifier. And then the head unit wont even realise that its bypassing the old amp.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQUL240/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yWvgCb3T3AZWF
That won't work for an HK upgraded system/head unit as you still won't be able to adjust the volume.

The HK head unit doesn't adjust the volume - it sends a signal to the HK amp to adjust the volume of the speakers. That is also why the OP was having trouble getting his system working in general. He needs the HK amp to actually have adjustable volume.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Now I am just wildly guessing: Since the radio recognizes the volume changes in graphics perhaps the line output stays constant and it is expected that the (external) amplifier listens to volume commands on the bus.
Could be that the unit doesn't expect to be driving external amp and is controlling gain of internal amps but you do not have speakers attached to their outputs. (?)
May be some configuration issue. Perhaps the installation manual for FosGate may shed some light there.
Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, would I need to purchase a new amp to use with this adapter?
I currently have the Rockford Fosgate upgraded amp option for the 6.5" unit.[/QUOTE]

Apparently with the HK amp it doesnt send an audio signal through any rca's out of the head unit? So apparently this wont work? But I'm just confused because if you have the same head unit whether you get the upgraded HK speakers or have the original it would still have to put out an audio signal to wires. Idk I'd say its worth a shot and if it doesnt work then return it.....

21 - 40 of 78 Posts