5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you have pin_out's for both units? Maybe the larger one is sending digital data out to the amp (which ever one is correct for the unit) that includes the audio and control (Vol,Bass,Treble,fade) info? Maybe?

·
Registered
12 Posts
so I've done a bunch of research over the past few days. I wound up running into the same issues as Jojo. I ordered a 86201FL63A 8 inch radio and had the no volume-control issue.

Here's what i've confirmed: there's actually 2 different mid-level radio part numbers.
86201FL63A is described as "Impreza Audio Assembly w/ Amp. Mid-Level Harman Kardon."

That's it... this needs a factory amp

What I SHOULD have ordered was:
86201FL62A "Impreza Audio Assembly Mid-Level 6 Speaker App."

oops.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
so I've done a bunch of research over the past few days. I wound up running into the same issues as Jojo. I ordered a 86201FL63A 8 inch radio and had the no volume-control issue.

Here's what i've confirmed: there's actually 2 different mid-level radio part numbers.
86201FL63A is described as "Impreza Audio Assembly w/ Amp. Mid-Level Harman Kardon."

That's it... this needs a factory amp

What I SHOULD have ordered was:
86201FL62A "Impreza Audio Assembly Mid-Level 6 Speaker App."

oops.
So, are you going to try and order 86201FL62A instead?
I just found a used 86201FL62A on ebay for $249 and pulled the trigger. It's returnable, so I'll report back after I install it to see if it works properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, are you going to try and order 86201FL62A instead?
I just found a used 86201FL62A on ebay for $249 and pulled the trigger. It's returnable, so I'll report back after I install it to see if it works properly.
haha... i think you ordered the one i was going to snipe! I'm definitely planning to give it a try once I source a new radio.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
haha... i think you ordered the one i was going to snipe! I'm definitely planning to give it a try once I source a new radio.
Ha! I was wondering if you saw that puppy on ebay! Definitely priced to sell at $249! Those units retail for well over $1,000.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
SUCCESS!!! IT WORKS!!!
I installed the 8" version today and the volume controls and equalizer work like a charm!
The part is 86201FL62A if anyone wants to upgrade.
This time around it was a huge PITA to replace, primarily because the dealership replaced my original 6.5" unit with a newer one due to non-stop bluetooth and other issues. They completely jacked a couple of the main wiring harness connectors, so it was extremely difficult to pry loose. I prevailed in the end.
I now have probably the only 2017 Premium hatch with an 8" HK head unit. Goals, LOL!
Shout out to ali-saurus for nailing down the correct part number.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
An auto recycling yard of all places! searched car-part.com and found a couple at reasonable prices... but this one was crazy
Niiiice!
So, FYI... this 8" model actually has HD Radio and Sirius XM built in.
When I hit the SXM button, I got some error about the signal connection. I don't use XM radio since I have Spotify, so this is a non-issue.

I did notice this model has 3 ports at the bottom of the unit, while our 6" has only 2. See the attached image. I connected mine to the middle one (I think) because that was the only one that would fit... you can see they have different notches and orientations. I don't know what that wire is exactly and why there's an extra one on the 8" version.
Anywhoo, everything else works great and the HD radio function is pretty cool. Stations that are broadcasting an HD signal have options for 3 stations and you can pause, rewind, and fast forward live radio! Album art is also shown on the screen.
This model has WIFI, so you can presumably update the firmware wirelessly.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Omg this is super exciting!! I managed to source another radio for $150 (dead serious!!!)
Should be coming in Thurs
Is this your Ebay listing?!? LOL!
I still have my other 8" head unit sitting in a box for the past 3 years. I guess I'll price it similarly to yours!

·
Registered
12 Posts
so.... the wrecking yard screwed up and sent me the wrong unit (6.5" Starlink)...
just ordered radio #3.... $270 and waiting for it to arrive

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
so.... the wrecking yard screwed up and sent me the wrong unit (6.5" Starlink)...
just ordered radio #3.... $270 and waiting for it to arrive
Oh man, that sucks. Hopefully, you'll get it straightened out soon!

·
Registered
12 Posts
you didn't happen to find a good solution for the sirius antenna, did you? My understanding is that the sharkfin should have it incorporated, but there are no appropriate connectors behind the dash

41 - 60 of 78 Posts