5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
you didn't happen to find a good solution for the sirius antenna, did you? My understanding is that the sharkfin should have it incorporated, but there are no appropriate connectors behind the dash
Nope, I didn't bother looking into it. I use spotify.

·
Registered
12 Posts
so... funny thing happened. the place that shipped me the wrong radio wound up shipping one of the right ones. so now I have 2!

Anyone else looking to do the swap?

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry for the delay...

There's a couple of light surface scratches on the screen, but not bad. Could likely be buffed out with a plastic compound. Asking $250

·
Registered
295 Posts
you didn't happen to find a good solution for the sirius antenna, did you? My understanding is that the sharkfin should have it incorporated, but there are no appropriate connectors behind the dash
It has been a while, but I if my memory serves me correctly the premium did not have the option for the 8" only the 6.5"...and the 6.5" did not have SXM as an option. With that thinking, there may not be an antenna in the sharkfin and therefore there would not be the connector in the harness.

I am with Jojo613, I have IHeart (and an unlimited throttled data plan) so the SXM would not necessarily be something that I was concerned with

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone who did this had any issues with their USB connection at all or had to replace any cables to get the USB working properly?
I ask because I'm trying to figure out if i should send back an 8” radio I have or not. Everything seems to work fine except the USB constantly connects and disconnects about once per second. Tried multiple known working with previous radio USB device cables and also tried re-seating the aux cable in the back of the radio with no luck, but as soon as i put my old 6.5” radio back USB was working again.
The cable that runs from behind the radio between the center console to the female USB-A socket in the car is the only cable I didn’t try replacing during troubleshooting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently have the 6.5" head unit in my '17 Impreza Premium.
I've been mulling over whether I could upgrade it to the larger 8" screen. I really dislike the large bezel and smallish screen that comes on the base and premium, and I will never forgive Subaru for creating this difference in the trim.

There are a couple 8" units available on Ebay, not exactly cheap at $850, but it's the stock radio.
IMPREZA 2017 Radio/Audio | eBay
and
IMPREZA 2017 Radio/Audio 81356 | eBay

Does anyone know whether the larger radio will work in the premium trim? I'm assuming the navigation will not, but what about everything else?

I've already taken apart my radio to upgrade to the Rockford Fosgate speakers (check my other thread on that). Looking at the back connections, the 8" unit looks pretty much the same.

What about a completely different aftermarket head unit? Anyone considering changing out the radio completely?
the dealership has the Rockford Fosgate upgrade for $361. Ordered mine today to be installed Monday. They did mention that if you currently have the Harmon Kardon radio, the upgrade can not happen. If that’s the case, then aftermarket it is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the dealership has the Rockford Fosgate upgrade for $361. Ordered mine today to be installed Monday. They did mention that if you currently have the Harmon Kardon radio, the upgrade can not happen. If that’s the case, then aftermarket it is.
He means the Harmon Kardon Upgrade, which is only available with certain packages. To determine if this is your case, then look at one of the front speakers. There will be a "Harmon Kardon" pin next to the grill, indicating you have the upgrade.
The reason the RF upgrade will not work with the HK is because the HK upgrade already uses an amplifier for the speakers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Actually pretty stoked for you guys to get this done. As far as the Sirius Satellite radio goes, they likely have a proprietary plug in on the back of the system for an antenna. No antenna, no service. You guys are likely right that the fins you have don't have them incorporated as I doubt they just used one model for all trims and just routed the line to nothing. I was going to suggest checking salvage yards as it's not uncommon to find things in good shape floating around. Used to do that to source parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone who did this had any issues with their USB connection at all or had to replace any cables to get the USB working properly?
I ask because I'm trying to figure out if i should send back an 8” radio I have or not. Everything seems to work fine except the USB constantly connects and disconnects about once per second. Tried multiple known working with previous radio USB device cables and also tried re-seating the aux cable in the back of the radio with no luck, but as soon as i put my old 6.5” radio back USB was working again.
The cable that runs from behind the radio between the center console to the female USB-A socket in the car is the only cable I didn’t try replacing during troubleshooting.
Have you fixed this issue? I did a similar swap for my '18 Crosstrek Premium and everything works besides Apple Carplay due to the disconnecting every minute. Android Auto works no problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
no I didn’t find any solution but It’s good to know I’m not the only one that had the issue.
Oh, that’s very interesting that it only seemed to be a problem for car play. All my devices are iOS so I didn’t even think of testing an android auto device. It wouldn’t even charge the iOS devices I tried though, even if I wasn’t interested in the car play.
I did find this technical service bulletin regarding the radio usb which claims that the base model radios had a different auxiliary port terminal than the mid/high models.
If that’s really the case then maybe using one of those auxiliary port terminals from the mid/high model might fix the issue? That’s pure speculation on my part, and I’m also not sure if the cable that runs between the aux terminal and stereo is different at all either.
If it really is a different part at the very least the mid/high radios wouldn’t be validated and tested using the base 6.5” auxiliary terminal.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
no I didn’t find any solution but It’s good to know I’m not the only one that had the issue.
Oh, that’s very interesting that it only seemed to be a problem for car play. All my devices are iOS so I didn’t even think of testing an android auto device. It wouldn’t even charge the iOS devices I tried though, even if I wasn’t interested in the car play.
I did find this technical service bulletin regarding the radio usb which claims that the base model radios had a different auxiliary port terminal than the mid/high models.
If that’s really the case then maybe using one of those auxiliary port terminals from the mid/high model might fix the issue? That’s pure speculation on my part, and I’m also not sure if the cable that runs between the aux terminal and stereo is different at all either.
If it really is a different part at the very least the mid/high radios wouldn’t be validated and tested using the base 6.5” auxiliary terminal.
Someone on the Crosstrek told me I should update the firmware which I can only do at the dealer, and when another user asked me what version I was on, his response was I was extremely outdated and need to get it updated.

Did you update your head unit as well? What version are you on?

The PDF you linked will be helpful. But I'm heading to the dealer first and see what they have to say. I also have to get my coil ignition recall done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since no one had even mentioned the issues regarding the USB I just paid to return the unit. I rather have a 6.5” unit that I can see my driving directions on. When I have more free time I will likely chase this down again further. I’d be extremely interested in anything at all you find out regarding the USB stuff!

Regarding updating your firmware, as long as you have one of the 8” units if you connect it to a WiFi network you should be able to update the firmware yourself. The mid and high stereos (both 8”) can be updated over the air with an internet connection, but the low unit, 6.5” screen, can only be updated via a file on a usb that is normally done at the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since no one had even mentioned the issues regarding the USB I just paid to return the unit. I rather have a 6.5” unit that I can see my driving directions on. When I have more free time I will likely chase this down again further. I’d be extremely interested in anything at all you find out regarding the USB stuff!

Regarding updating your firmware, as long as you have one of the 8” units if you connect it to a WiFi network you should be able to update the firmware yourself. The mid and high stereos (both 8”) can be updated over the air with an internet connection, but the low unit, 6.5” screen, can only be updated via a file on a usb that is normally done at the dealer.
So I couldn't do WiFi updating, it just didn't work. That's why I went to the dealer. I also got my recall done. They updated my firmware and it did but it NOT fix Apple car play. But they were not fazed by me having a different screen in my '18 Crosstrek Premium. So I'll go again when I have some more free time and tell them my USB port doesn't work. I read that some people got it fixed no problem (and they didn't do a screen swap they just had the issue).

·
Registered
26 Posts
SUCCESS!!! IT WORKS!!!
I installed the 8" version today and the volume controls and equalizer work like a charm!
The part is 86201FL62A if anyone wants to upgrade.
This time around it was a huge PITA to replace, primarily because the dealership replaced my original 6.5" unit with a newer one due to non-stop bluetooth and other issues. They completely jacked a couple of the main wiring harness connectors, so it was extremely difficult to pry loose. I prevailed in the end.
I now have probably the only 2017 Premium hatch with an 8" HK head unit. Goals, LOL!
Shout out to ali-saurus for nailing down the correct part number.
You do not say if your usb port works or not, 2 other folks are having problems with theirs, I only ask because I just got one of the part number 62 radios to put in ours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
so I've done a bunch of research over the past few days. I wound up running into the same issues as Jojo. I ordered a 86201FL63A 8 inch radio and had the no volume-control issue.

Here's what i've confirmed: there's actually 2 different mid-level radio part numbers.
86201FL63A is described as "Impreza Audio Assembly w/ Amp. Mid-Level Harman Kardon."

That's it... this needs a factory amp

What I SHOULD have ordered was:
86201FL62A "Impreza Audio Assembly Mid-Level 6 Speaker App."

oops.
I saw your post on the crosstrek site (
Things you need to know:
There is no built-in sirius antenna as best as I have been able to find out (although I haven't pulled the antenna and checked all of the interconnect points on the run from antenna to behind the dash). Because of this, you're going to get a No Signal alert on the screen at start, and then repeatedly while driving. it's annoying!) you have not mentioned this before, just how annoying is it?

61 - 78 of 78 Posts