5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son lost his 2nd key and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to get a replacement. I see places on line that sell the key fob but it still requires Subaru to program the key. Seems like it is adding up quickly. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
711 Posts
Buy a 57497XC01B key with chip (or aftermarket alternative) and take it to a locksmith to cut and take it to a shop with a fancy big screen obd reader to program it. Or buy a fancy obd they're like 150 bucks on amazon and program it yourself.

edit: found an aftermarket for $65. Anyone know where I can get it even cheaper? I wanna try programming it.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
311 Posts
edit: found an aftermarket for $65. Anyone know where I can get it even cheaper? I wanna try programming it.
I haven't looked for one for this Subaru, but I purchased a couple for previous Jeeps online for around that price. Not all manufacturers are the same, but some require you to have 2 working chip keys to be able to program it yourself. I'm not sure the procedure for Subarus.

As for having working chip keys for future reprograms, it's worth having a cheaper valet key cut and programmed stored at home in case you lose one of the expensive keys. But you have to have one of these before you lose a key :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wanna try programming it.
I hope it is obvious that, for security reasons, people cannot just buy a key online and program it to work on a car.

Without at least one working key.... reprogramming is not a trivial task.
Having possession of a working key allows electronic 'duplicating' to make another one.

BOTTOM LINE: For a modern car - Always, ALWAYS have more than one key and store them separately. The alternative may be taking the dash apart to replace transponders to program brand-new keys.

HINT: When buying a used car always INSIST that there are TWO keys for the vehicle. (Either force the seller pay to make a duplicate or take $200 off the price.)

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
711 Posts
I hope it is obvious that, for security reasons, people cannot just buy a key online and program it to work on a car.

Without at least one working key.... reprogramming is not a trivial task.
Having possession of a working key allows electronic 'duplicating' to make another one.

BOTTOM LINE: For a modern car - Always, ALWAYS have more than one key and store them separately. The alternative may be taking the dash apart to replace transponders to program brand-new keys.

HINT: When buying a used car always INSIST that there are TWO keys for the vehicle. (Either force the seller pay to make a duplicate or take $200 off the price.)
I wanted to do it on my car, looks super easy with a spare key takes about 1 minute with the right tool:

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,619 Posts
When I got my kids Crosstrek it only came with one key. I got two blanks off of eBay, one with the remote and one with just the transponder. I wanted the one without the remote cut but not programmed, to hide outside the car and the other one cut and programmed. You need a special tool/app to get the keys in the system. Locally there is a guy that will come to you. He will cut and program the keys. It took quite a while. You need all your keys, even the ones that work already as they need to all be entered at the same time. Seems when you program a key it knocks the last one out of the system. Security measure in case you lose a key I guess. Also, you need to wait, I think it was 15 or 20 min between programming each key. Also a security thing he said. It cost about 125 for him to do the cutting and programming, I supplied the keys. He cut the two and reprogrammed all three. The center one here is the OEM key the other two are aftermarket. My understanding is the internal parts of the one on the right are Subaru but the shell is aftermarket. Either way they all see to work well. Not cheap but less expensive than the dealer. This was for a 2015 but I suspect it's similar for the next gen.

Car alarm Peripheral Body jewelry Audio equipment Gadget

Info that came with the key from ebay

Font Terrestrial plant Paper Circle Document

The thing he used to cut then program the key. it was in the back of his truck

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Gas Trunk

·
Registered
737 Posts
This was for a 2015 but I suspect it's similar for the next gen.
yea... the keys in your photo are style "G"
The Impreza5 uses style "H" keys which are a TOTALLY different programming system. (I went thru this... Local locksmiths said their style "G" equipment will not handle the style "H" electronics end of things....and they cannot get style "H" equipment.)

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,619 Posts
Good to know thanks, It sounds like they are making it dealer only? of course it is :(

·
Registered
737 Posts
It sounds like they are making it dealer only?
Yea -- in the end, I called 4 different Subaru dealerships. It turns out the cost to get key programmed is "dealer discretion" and varies widely.

I ended up driving and hour and dropping off the car at dealership. Wife and I walked across the street to eat a nice lunch and STILL cost me less than getting key made at a closer dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts