5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did this today, it was pretty simple. They light up with the marker lights and brake lights. Originally I was going to use the left one as a rear fog light but decided that was too much trouble. I installed one once in my 99' RS and TBH only used it a very few times. This was pretty simple to do, the hardest part was figuring out the wiring. It's only three and it didn't take long with help from the wife stepping on the brake.When it gets dark I'll make a gif or video.

I put up a link here: >Click Me For Pics and info on install<

These are the ones I used: >click Me<

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks nice. I have a set in my shopping cart from JDMFV right now, just haven't decided if that's all I'm getting yet and haven't placed the order. Theirs are $36, I wonder if there's any significant difference...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Chargespeed also makes light up brake lights for these refelctors. Clear, red ,or tinted. About 60 bucks. They light up flashing f1 style.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish I knew about the Chargspeed I may have to look into those, I was thinking about how to make them flash when breaking. I have my third brake light do that in my Miata. I'll have to look into it. The hard part is done for the most part. Hooking up wiring. Swapping them out should be simple. One thing I didn't consider is making the wiring a little longer than I did. There isn't a lot of slack. If I ever have to take them out it will be tight. I'd like to add some waterproof quick disconnects.

These were only 20 bucks, TBH they seem to work well so far. They even sort of match the way the tail light lights look in a way. I went with these over the others on Amazon because I'm guessing they are all pretty much made in the same place and just re-branded.

Edit: Checked out the Chargspeed, other than the color options, I think they are very similar to what I have currently. I was hoping they would blink a few times before going solid when breaking but they don't. Smoke looks cool but you may loose the reflector aspect which I kind of like.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks nice. I have a set in my shopping cart from JDMFV right now, just haven't decided if that's all I'm getting yet and haven't placed the order. Theirs are $36, I wonder if there's any significant difference...
I don't think there is, I bet they are made in the same place. I looked at the reviews and went with the less expensive ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ordered the amazon ones you recommended. You're probably correct about them all being the same and relabeled or rebranded. Quick question, did you have to remove the factory tail lights to gain access to the wiring or is it all accessible from under the rear of the car? Haven't laid on the ground and stuck my head underneath yet, so just trying to get an idea of what the wiring aspect will entail so I can plan enough time for it all. Working in an apartment parking lot comes with some challenges. When I start a project I need to finish it that day, cant leave things open or tools out for long when I need to run inside...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks. Dont know why, but when you first posted, I tried that link and it said it couldn't be found. Went to try again now (to see if I was crazy) and it still didnt work. After I clicked your repost of it, now it works. Hm.

Anyway, thanks for reposting, probably wouldn't have had to bother you if I saw it before, but I dont know why it wasnt working.

Edit: Excellent write up by the way, definitely would have answered all my questions before I asked and thank you for putting the effort in to do it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure why that happened I'll try and fix it above. If anyone can check the link and let me know if it's okay now I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, I've got 20 years of write-ups on ScoobyMods that are very detailed. Sadly, someone bought the site and has not kept it up. Most of my pic's have stopped working and I no longer have the capability to add new stuff. I have limited admin rights and now there is a ton of spam I can't remove. Bums me out I put a lot of work into it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Installed mine today. As mentioned before, your write up was great and made things go smoothly since I knew what needed to be done before even taking the old reflectors out. Ended up using 2-part t-taps for the connections. I know soldering would have been more secure, but wasn't gonna happen in my apartment parking lot. And the 2 part connection allows to me disconnect if ever needed. Taped everything up good when I was done. Connection is a little chunky with the added size of taps, but there was enough room behind the light housing for it to still fit well.

Thanks again for all the info and Amazon link, good quality lights and a bit cheaper than what I was about to buy before your post.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy to help. I was tempted to use wiretaps too. But I have a garage and it's easier for me when it comes to soldering. When I lived in an apartment it was hard to do anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts