5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you don't have an upgraded system with an AMP and don't plan on adding one I wouldn't get too carried away, 25w RMS would probably be fine.

You'll want 6x9s for the front and 6.5s for the back, good idea to stick to the same brand and series for both sets so it stays balanced. Highest efficiency you can get is key if you plan on powering them from the stock headunit.

Pretty much anything will be be better than the stock speakers really. They have tiny magnets and a thin plastic frame, and although paper cones can produce good sound if made right, they won't hold up to moisture well if they see it regularly. The base fronts are also undersized for what can actually fit. Even the upgraded speakers arn't great, though they are better than base speakers.

Personally had some old discontinued 3-way Pioneer 6x9s laying around from a previous car and just found some cheap matching 6.5s on ebay. They can handle 100w RMS but I plan on adding an amp in the future.

You will want to copy a couple of the things the stock speakers actually did well, such as sealing the speakers to the doors with foam gasket tape, and foam coupling to the door panel. If you don't plan on doing a full sound treatment which will also help cut down road noise, some simple foam matting behind the speakers is also a very good idea to cut down on reflection interference and distortion.

If you want to avoid cutting wires, drilling holes, and avoiding any clearance issues with the window you will also want to order some adapters, Metra makes the 82-8146 and 82-8148 that will fit the stock holes, though the adapter for the front driver side door will need to be trimmed slightly to clear the bolts for a flush fit, all 3 others fit perfectly. You will also want to get two sets of Metra 72-8104 harness adapters to avoid hacking up the stock wiring, if your speakers have spade connectors they are plug and play.

If you do want to add an AMP you will also want the Metra female 70-1761 and male 71-1761 10+6 harness adapters to avoid hacking up the factory wiring behind the headunit

You can order the Rockford Fostgate upgrade with AMP, wiring harness, and front speakers for an OEM upgrade, but like I said even the upgraded speakers arn't great, plus it still leave the rear stock speakers, and you can make a much better system for the money if you don't mind dealing with a bit of wiring.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,300 Posts
I recently replaced the head unit and added a back up camera to the wife's Outback. I used Crutchfield for everything. I've use them many times in the past and I have to say they are pretty helpful. I've been thinking about upgrading my speakers too, but I mostly listen to podcasts lately :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently replaced the head unit and added a back up camera to the wife's Outback. I used Crutchfield for everything. I've use them many times in the past and I have to say they are pretty helpful. I've been thinking about upgrading my speakers too, but I mostly listen to podcasts lately :)
I’ll have to look into Crutchfield, I’ve heard a lot about them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't have an upgraded system with an AMP and don't plan on adding one I wouldn't get too carried away, 25w RMS would probably be fine.

You'll want 6x9s for the front and 6.5s for the back, good idea to stick to the same brand and series for both sets so it stays balanced. Highest efficiency you can get is key if you plan on powering them from the stock headunit.

Pretty much anything will be be better than the stock speakers really. They have tiny magnets and a thin plastic frame, and although paper cones can produce good sound if made right, they won't hold up to moisture well if they see it regularly. The base fronts are also undersized for what can actually fit. Even the upgraded speakers arn't great, though they are better than base speakers.

Personally had some old discontinued 3-way Pioneer 6x9s laying around from a previous car and just found some cheap matching 6.5s on ebay. They can handle 100w RMS but I plan on adding an amp in the future.

You will want to copy a couple of the things the stock speakers actually did well, such as sealing the speakers to the doors with foam gasket tape, and foam coupling to the door panel. If you don't plan on doing a full sound treatment which will also help cut down road noise, some simple foam matting behind the speakers is also a very good idea to cut down on reflection interference and distortion.

If you want to avoid cutting wires, drilling holes, and avoiding any clearance issues with the window you will also want to order some adapters, Metra makes the 82-8146 and 82-8148 that will fit the stock holes, though the adapter for the front driver side door will need to be trimmed slightly to clear the bolts for a flush fit, all 3 others fit perfectly. You will also want to get two sets of Metra 72-8104 harness adapters to avoid hacking up the stock wiring, if your speakers have spade connectors they are plug and play.

If you do want to add an AMP you will also want the Metra female 70-1761 and male 71-1761 10+6 harness adapters to avoid hacking up the factory wiring behind the headunit

You can order the Rockford Fostgate upgrade with AMP, wiring harness, and front speakers for an OEM upgrade, but like I said even the upgraded speakers arn't great, plus it still leave the rear stock speakers, and you can make a much better system for the money if you don't mind dealing with a bit of wiring.
thank you for the response! 🙏🏽

1 - 5 of 5 Posts