5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I’m new at thread conversations but a long time lurker. I have a 2020 5dr 5MT and I installed canbus led turn signal switchbacks and they still hyper flash. I think I have just decided to just get resistors, the rear I’m just getting adapter resistors with sockets, but the front I most likely have to wire it (CK). So my question is, where am I able to mount it? (I know it’s on metal due to heat) but what location have any of you mounted it?

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
951 Posts
I can't give you advice exactly where to mount it but I can say this by way of a heads up. I had to use two of these resistors per side for the headlights in my Miata. I knew these would get hot but I had no idea exactly how hot. They will get hot enough to blister your skin and melt plastic. I thought I'd use double sided 3M tape to hold them in place but no way. That melted in short order. I had wire touching one of them and the insulation melted. When you mount the resistor you will be better served if you secure it with a metal screw on metal to act as a heat-sink and keep any plastic in the area far away.

They work well but dang they get hot!

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
951 Posts
6 ohm / 50W draws 2.25A

Just moving the heat around though, an incandescent bulb gets just as hot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, yeah-a light filament likewise is a resistor, as is any element which produces heat and/or light. In this case, a resistor with enough ohms also has a decent amount of capacitance, which is why they reduce the flicker. Although, I'd say that a bridge circuit inline with a couple resistors (the second being about 1/10 the resistance of the first) would do a better job at rectifying the current.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts