5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that when you back up and then go to pull forward you have to wait a second or so?

It's not a smooth transition, I put it in drive and go to hit the gas and the car acts like its still in neutral for a second or so and revs...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Has anyone noticed that when you back up and then go to pull forward you have to wait a second or so?

It's not a smooth transition, I put it in drive and go to hit the gas and the car acts like its still in neutral for a second or so and revs...
I felt that in my previous 2014 Ford Focus. It won't shift immediately. it is more noticeable when your still moving in one direction while shifting to the other.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt that in my previous 2014 Ford Focus. It won't shift immediately. it is more noticeable when your still moving in one direction while shifting to the other.

I notice it more when I back down a hill or any decline really and then go forward. There is a pause and then it changes gear..
I didn't know if that's just the way thing's are or if there was anything I could do about it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I notice it more when I back down a hill or any decline really and then go forward. There is a pause and then it changes gear..
I didn't know if that's just the way thing's are or if there was anything I could do about it.
Do you stop completely or still slide when you shift ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
same thing happens to me. mostly on cold days.
I guess maybe thicker trans fluid?
I haven't be driving in the last 20 day do to rt.ft, surgery in the warmer weather to see if it still happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you stop completely or still slide when you shift ?
I think I stop all of the way? I'll have to pay more attention because im coming from a 16' WRX manual where you don't have to be at a complete stop to shift lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've noticed when backing up or vice versa it won't allow me to shift to either right away. I have to come to a complete stop but it's probably a safety thing to not damage the CVT maybe.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Definitely a safety thing and kinda happy it would be there. It's like a physical safety measure compared to a neutral-drop lockout through the electronic governors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I notice this when I first back out of my driveway in the morning. The engine is still cold. It's much smoother after I've been driving awhile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Similar things happens to me when I'm backing out from the garage when the engine is still cold. When I shift from reverse to drive, I can hear the engine revs up for that split second when the gear is in Neutral (R->N->D). It kind of bothers me as I drove manual for 17 years and this is my first Auto/CVT. I have no idea whether this is normal or not but I don't recall having the same experience when I'm driving rental.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
That is a normal feature of the CVT. Nothing can be done to make it any different.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My delivery guy said it was fine to drive with the blue light, but just not to push it to high rpms. The CVT always feels rougher when the engine is in this warm-up cycle - probably a torque issue.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The blue light has nothing to do with the CVT. It only signifies that the engine coolant is not up to temperature. You are correct in that it is unwise to rev the car beyond 3K RPMs while the blue light is illuminated. It doesn't take long for the blue light to go out once you begin to drive a few minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts