5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 Impreza premium and just curious about road noise. It is a very noisy car inside the cabin. Like loud as sitting in the back of a CRJ-700, ran a app on my phone and it showed about 85db at 55-65mph. I have to have the radio at 30 just to hear it and it tops put at 40 so it's at 3/4 of volume.
I've had this car for 5 years now and plan on keeping it but in wondering if the noise is normally this Loud? I know it's not a luxury car by any means but just surprised. My 1998 legacy wagon was quieter and it was rusting out from the Vermont winter roads. I know winter tired increase noise and I do have 2 year old winter tires on.
If I ever do get enough money to buy a new car, are newer Subaru Impreza or WRX quieter for road noise? I love the AWD and handling the car has just hate how loud it is

·
Registered
165 Posts
My wife and I drive 2017 and 2019 Imprea Premiums, and the noise level is completely acceptable. We are using all season tires. Our daughter drives a 2014 base Impreza and drives the crazy roads of NJ. I have ridden with her for many, many miles, and I have never noted that the noise level was in any way that of a CRJ-700. Again, she runs all season tires. it might be worth a ride with a competent mechanic to figure out what is going on... To answer your question: In my experience, your noise level is above the norm, with the caveat being the difference in tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own a 2013 Impreza premium and just curious about road noise. It is a very noisy car inside the cabin. Like loud as sitting in the back of a CRJ-700, ran a app on my phone and it showed about 85db at 55-65mph. I have to have the radio at 30 just to hear it and it tops put at 40 so it's at 3/4 of volume.
I've had this car for 5 years now and plan on keeping it but in wondering if the noise is normally this Loud? I know it's not a luxury car by any means but just surprised. My 1998 legacy wagon was quieter and it was rusting out from the Vermont winter roads. I know winter tired increase noise and I do have 2 year old winter tires on.
If I ever do get enough money to buy a new car, are newer Subaru Impreza or WRX quieter for road noise? I love the AWD and handling the car has just hate how loud it I/
Multilink suspensions are naturally more noisy—with a tendency to amplify road noise. To second what Bruce said, "Tires get noisier as they age." Our 17 Impreza came stock with Continentals Sport Contact. Whoafully noisy. Replaced the tires with Michelins, what a difference. Have put Michelins on all my Subarus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I ever do get enough money to buy a new car, are newer Subaru Impreza or WRX quieter for road noise? I love the AWD and handling the car has just hate how loud it is
I own the 2020 Impreza, drove down the interstate but never had to raise my volume over 30, god forbid even need to raise 3/4 of the way up. So I would think noise level has improved in the newest gen Impreza. Maybe this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts