5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested, I upgraded the audio in my Impreza Premium with the Subaru OEM Rockford Fosgate kit H630SFL000.

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2017_Impreza/Audio-Upgrade-Kit/67799909/H630SFL000.html

It upgrades the two front speakers and adds an amplifier under the front passenger seat. A wiring harness to feed back into the head unit is included.

If you like ripping your dash and door panels off, this is a fairly straightforward install. Directions are available online, however, they're not very detailed and are geared for the Subaru tech/service dept. For example, it says "remove door panels" without any other instructions as to where the clips are located, where to pull apart the plastic, etc. I've worked on other cars replacing radios and whatnot, so I figured it out as I went along. Since the car is so new, there were zero tutorials online. You will have to remove the front air vents, radio, glove box, sill plastic, door panels, and other trim to get the wiring in place.

Anyway, I've included some pics of the install. The only tools you really need are screw drivers and a trim removal kit.

I'll be happy to provide more info if anyone is planning on this as a DIY project.

The sound is definitely improved, so I think it is worth the upgrade if you have the basic audio package.

Attachments

·
Administrator
758 Posts
That looks like quite the install. Did anything surprise you about any of the wiring or parts used while you took everything off?

·
Registered
308 Posts
You could essentially buy a set of Cerwin Vega speakers for like $75 and an amp for 150$ to run the door speakers alone and have a much better output from it essentially.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could essentially buy a set of Cerwin Vega speakers for like $75 and an amp for 150$ to run the door speakers alone and have a much better output from it essentially.
That occurred to me. I'd even went so far as scoping out Crutchfield.

However, my wife (and the owner of the car) wanted something with a warranty. She was also afraid that local installers would botch it and mangle the wiring harness or break plastic.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That looks like quite the install. Did anything surprise you about any of the wiring or parts used while you took everything off?
Nothing too surprising since this is an OEM part. The wiring harness hooked in just fine to the head unit.
The floor area under the passenger side seat already has mounting holes/bracket for the amplifier. Check under the carpet and you'll see.
You have to route the wiring from the amplifier under the passenger side door sill and behind the glove box area. The kit includes some ductwork extensions that go under the passenger seat to work with the new wiring. The instructions have a decent diagram on the routing.

Basically, it was removing the trim pieces that require some effort. I'm very careful not to scratch or ding the trim as I'm a bit OCD. One piece of trim that is a pain to remove is the plastic above the radio, leading towards the mult-function display. You really need to tug that thing out as there are several clips holding it in. I cut one of my fingers trying to remove it.

One interesting thing that happened immediately after I installed the upgrade and closed it all up... the backup camera didn't work!
I swore that I must have messed up something with the wiring, so I TOOK APART THE ENTIRE DASH AND DOOR AGAIN!
Well, turns out, it was the recall issue! I had installed this one week prior to the recall being announced... just my luck. I had installed it correctly the first time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Two speakers? Really?

We added that as a factory option for nearly $500 and we're only getting two upgraded speakers and an amp???
Yup, two upgraded speakers and an amplifier/digital signal processor.

Don't forget though, you get to add the "Rockford Fosgate" badge on the speaker grill. LOL!
What's funny about that is the base audio package speaker grill already has two holes ready for that badge to be installed.
Those of you who don't have an upgraded audio package, LOOK CLOSELY AT THE FRONT SPEAKER GRILLS. You will see em, they're a tiny bit larger than the others!

Installation instructions in attachments below.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
For anyone interested, I upgraded the audio in my Impreza Premium with the Subaru OEM Rockford Fosgate kit H630SFL000.

2017 Subaru Impreza. #H630SFL000: Audio Upgrade Kit

It upgrades the two front speakers and adds an amplifier under the front passenger seat. A wiring harness to feed back into the head unit is included.

If you like ripping your dash and door panels off, this is a fairly straightforward install. Directions are available online, however, they're not very detailed and are geared for the Subaru tech/service dept. For example, it says "remove door panels" without any other instructions as to where the clips are located, where to pull apart the plastic, etc. I've worked on other cars replacing radios and whatnot, so I figured it out as I went along. Since the car is so new, there were zero tutorials online. You will have to remove the front air vents, radio, glove box, sill plastic, door panels, and other trim to get the wiring in place.

Anyway, I've included some pics of the install. The only tools you really need are screw drivers and a trim removal kit.

I'll be happy to provide more info if anyone is planning on this as a DIY project.

The sound is definitely improved, so I think it is worth the upgrade if you have the basic audio package.
Awesome post Jojo613 :cool: :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my Impreza with the upgrade right out of the dealership. I'm aware that I just get the two front door speakers, does the amp power the remaining 4?
If so, I'd have to purchase some replacement speakers on Crutchfield.

Do advise. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
You've probably seen the DIY thread using the Subaru kit and you're right about the only speakers being upgraded are the ones in the doors (seriously? $500 for an amp and two speakers?).

We have the same stereo.

I finally got to put some mileage on ours this afternoon and turned the volume up. The only air that I felt move was in the front doors.

Take that for what it's worth.

I hope someone with more knowledge chimes in because I'd like to upgrade the other four speakers as well.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
But, but, but... the badging!!! You get the cool "Rockford Fosgate" badge on the speaker grills!!!

That alone is worth the $500. LOL
$500 is the retail markup. I got my kit back in February for around $340, which is what it's currently selling for.
Is this upgrade worth it? I think it definitely gives the system a bit more kick. The base front speakers were pretty weak IMO.
I don't know about the other 4 speakers and how the amp interfaces.

Of course, the Harmon Kardon trumps it, but that's for another trim/thread. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just had the installed into my car, and I am very happy with it. The sound stage is much more dynamic and detailed. The base is more present; it has more power without being obnoxious.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had the installed into my car, and I am very happy with it. The sound stage is much more dynamic and detailed. The base is more present; it has more power without being obnoxious.
Just curious, what did the shop charge in labor?

·
Registered
295 Posts

2017 Subaru Impreza Audio Upgrade Kit. System - H630SFL000 - Genuine Subaru Accessory

Since you got the stock h/u out maybe you can answer this for me...
I HATE that everything inside the car is RED but the buttons on the infotainment system. In taking it off, do you see a way to get behind it to make them red as well as the window controls, steering wheel mounted controls, HVAC, ect?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts