5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Since you got the stock h/u out maybe you can answer this for me...
I HATE that everything inside the car is RED but the buttons on the infotainment system. In taking it off, do you see a way to get behind it to make them red as well as the window controls, steering wheel mounted controls, HVAC, ect?
Honestly, I don't know because I didn't mess with taking off the H/U faceplate. I merely removed the entire unit.
I suppose it could be done.
I actually don't mind the color of the radio buttons. If you look at my Premium's interior (pic attached), the upper portion of the car is fairly white.
Midway down is red.
I think the Sport trim has more red on the guage cluster? So maybe that model looks worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just got an email from Subaru about this upgrade and it linked to a page that listed the amp as model FLEX41. Taking that over to Rockford's site, here's a page with more info and specs on the amp:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/oem/oem_flex41.aspx

The most interesting thing I found is this:

Technical Specifications
Power Output

4 x 40W RMS Full-Range Class-D Channels
1 x 140W RMS MOSFET Subwoofer Channel
300W RMS Total

Is this implying that the 300W upgrade that Subaru is selling is actually only 160W since there's no sub included with the kit?

Also, can anyone confirm that the rear speakers sound better as a result of the upgrade? If not and the upgrade is just at the front - then that brings the upgrade down to < 80W. Unless they bridged it, of course, but you would still be missing that 140W sub channel.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Honestly, and no knocking people who bought it, but that doesn't seem like a good value upgrade. If I was doing it for someone else, I'd consider it as an option for someone who really wanted everything to be factory & OEM. For myself? That 500 dollars can go a long way in a custom audio shop. An experienced install team will not break anything and probably get it turned around in a few days plus sounding 10x better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the Rockford Fosgate upgrade for my 2018 Crosstrek and I have a question about how it was installed.

With the factory system, when I turned the key off, the radio would keep playing until I opened a door. After the upgrade, as soon as the key is turned off, the sound stops but the radio is still powered. Should it still be making sound until I open a door?

I'm wondering if maybe the installer connected the amp to the wrong power line. It seems that if the head unit is powered, then the amp should be as well.

If other people that have this system could comment on how theirs works, I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys! Just wanted to share that I went ahead and got the 4 speaker base model so I could upgrade the system myself.. I installed the following.

JBL 6x9 3 way speakers in the front (leaving tweeters in the doors)
JBL 6.5 inch speakers in the rear
Alpine 445U power pack 45x4 watts RMS
Got the new firmware update for the HK 6.5inch 4 speaker screen as well. (base model)

Honestly it sounds amazing!!! like 10 times better then new... I was shocked... the alpine amp was $129.99 and goes behind the stock stereo so you cant even see it and i had to turn it down to about 35% because it was too much power lol

I ordered JBL club5501 mono 1300 watt amp 650 RMS and a 10 inch JBL s3-1024 (2 or 4 ohms switch 1350 watt 450 rms subwoofer with a 10 inch sealed box and 4 gauge wiring kit. got all of this for $260 shipped..

Found a LC2i (line out converter 2 channel) for $20 at a pawn shop lol got lucky.. this is used to install a sub to a stock deck.. ill be using the other channel to cross over my tweets as well.

Honestly I only had to spend about $600 and I'm going to have a 2,000 peak watt system that will be very good sounding with that extra low (that i can toggle of course)

I work for subaru as a manager at a dealership and heard the fosgate factory upgrade and its nice but didnt even come close to my system so far even without the sub... just thought I'd add input! Thanks agian!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You're a manager at a Subaru dealer and bought a 4-speaker BASE model just so you could upgrade the stereo??? Hopefully they pay you enough that you could have easily bought the Limited:wink2:

·
Registered
295 Posts
For anyone interested, I upgraded the audio in my Impreza Premium with the Subaru OEM Rockford Fosgate kit H630SFL000.

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2017_Impreza/Audio-Upgrade-Kit/67799909/H630SFL000.html

It upgrades the two front speakers and adds an amplifier under the front passenger seat. A wiring harness to feed back into the head unit is included.

If you like ripping your dash and door panels off, this is a fairly straightforward install. Directions are available online, however, they're not very detailed and are geared for the Subaru tech/service dept. For example, it says "remove door panels" without any other instructions as to where the clips are located, where to pull apart the plastic, etc. I've worked on other cars replacing radios and whatnot, so I figured it out as I went along. Since the car is so new, there were zero tutorials online. You will have to remove the front air vents, radio, glove box, sill plastic, door panels, and other trim to get the wiring in place.

Anyway, I've included some pics of the install. The only tools you really need are screw drivers and a trim removal kit.

I'll be happy to provide more info if anyone is planning on this as a DIY project.

The sound is definitely improved, so I think it is worth the upgrade if you have the basic audio package.
Did you happen to get a look at the back of the factory HU? I am wanting to change the color on the buttons from white to red to match the rest of the interior. Did you happen to get a look at it to see if this is something that will be easy for me to do?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Did you happen to get a look at the back of the factory HU? I am wanting to change the color on the buttons from white to red to match the rest of the interior. Did you happen to get a look at it to see if this is something that will be easy for me to do?
The colors are not user selectable. You are stuck with WHITE.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i did not want to "select it"...if it was a bulb I want to CHANGE IT. Or if it is an LED with a lens over it get the lens painted
They are LED's...no one uses bulbs anymore in this time and day. If you are up to taking the radio apart...you can either replace the LED (may be a bit of a chore) or simply cover the LEDs with a transparent overlay (or place the red overlay inside the button itself) to get the red you want. The latter will be far easier once you remove the face and have access to the interior of the buttons

·
Registered
295 Posts
They are LED's...no one uses bulbs anymore in this time and day. If you are up to taking the radio apart...you can either replace the LED (may be a bit of a chore) or simply cover the LEDs with a transparent overlay (or place the red overlay inside the button itself) to get the red you want. The latter will be far easier once you remove the face and have access to the interior of the buttons
I was afraid of that. The white really bothers me, nothing else in the car (with the exception of the LCD screens) are illuminated white, they are all RED.

Any ideas where I can get said film/overlay?

·
Registered
8 Posts
How is it working now

To the originator of the thread...How is the new Rockford Fosgate system working, months later?

• Any issues with the Head Unit or Info-Tainment system?
  • Does the new sound system work well with the interface of the sound system on the Head Unit.
I've been itching to upgrade to the RF system but I didn't want to upset the already irritable info-tainment system on my 2017 Impreza Sport 5 door: No sunroof, (can't remember the trim package at the moment)

Thanks for any information

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
To the originator of the thread...How is the new Rockford Fosgate system working, months later?

• Any issues with the Head Unit or Info-Tainment system?
  • Does the new sound system work well with the interface of the sound system on the Head Unit.
I've been itching to upgrade to the RF system but I didn't want to upset the already irritable info-tainment system on my 2017 Impreza Sport 5 door: No sunroof, (can't remember the trim package at the moment)

Thanks for any information
I'm the originator... :)
The RF upgrade is fine. Everything works like it's stock from the factory. The upgrade is a factory option (+$500), so there's no reason why there would be any issues.
I think the sound has a bit more punch with the upgraded front door speakers and amp. If you can get the kit for around $300, I think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

In more recent news, I wanted to upgrade my 6.5" HK HU to the larger screen found on the sport and limited trims. I bought an 8" HK HU from another user on this board. I'm having issues with volume and equalizer controls, which I think is due to the RF amp. The 8" HK HU uses a HK amp from the factory. All that's in another thread...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question Jojo613,

How do you think the rockford system would fair in powering aftermarket speakers? Do you think the amp itself is tuned with DSP towards those speakers specifically ... and would potentially mess up the sound running another set, components for example?

I would be interested in having a factory style look/install if it were to provide 40w of clean power ... but not with a messed up DSP curve on it.

*Before anyone jumps in, yes there are tons of better aftermarket solutions, but I am curious in this regard to retaining factory integration.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Question Jojo613,

How do you think the rockford system would fair in powering aftermarket speakers? Do you think the amp itself is tuned with DSP towards those speakers specifically ... and would potentially mess up the sound running another set, components for example?

I would be interested in having a factory style look/install if it were to provide 40w of clean power ... but not with a messed up DSP curve on it.

*Before anyone jumps in, yes there are tons of better aftermarket solutions, but I am curious in this regard to retaining factory integration.
I have been researching this for a while. I came to the conclusion that the best way to retain factory head unit integration but to still upgrade the sound with support for new speakers and a sub, is to add something like the MATCH DSP amplifiers (PP86DSP or similar) but they are expensive, even used on eBay. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Probably this summer.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I am upgrading to Rockford Fosgate Prime speakers in the doors, 6x9 in the front and 6 1/2 in the rear. I might add an amp later.

Can you get the badge without buying the system?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two speakers? Really?

We added that as a factory option for nearly $500 and we're only getting two upgraded speakers and an amp???
Its honestly not that bad of a deal when you consider that you are not only getting an amp but a DSP (digital sound processor) as well. The cheapest amp/DSP combo I've seen is about $300. So pair that with a couple speakers and probably at least a couple hours of labor at probably 90 bucks an hour, $500 sounds about right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi list, first post.

I'll share my experience with the RF upgrade, i had the dealer put it in and ended paying ~ $875 simply because I didnt want to deal with it

1: 1st amp failed within 6 months.
2: horribly front biased and bass heavy. I drove around with the bass all the way down and treble all the way up with the fader halfway to the rear. I griped to RF about it and they were very helpfull and even sent me a beta firmware update which addressed some of my issues.
3: The 6x9s are not terrible, neither is the amp but for $800, you can do WAY better. The rear door speakers are comical in quality, I'm pretty sure they are completely made from paper and updating those helped a good bit

Couple things I would have done differently if I had know what I know now that I've torn out pretty much everything that came with the car (2017 Impreza) audio wise.

1: Its not worth $875, not even remotely so. You're paying for a low end amp and 2 speakers. For half that, you can update the door speakers and put in a halfway decent amp (and have it installed)
2: The stock 6.5" Harman HU is garbage. Adding a mediocre amp and some 6x9s is adding candy sprinkles on a turd. There is nothing there worth keeping
3: The 5 is SUPER EASY to work on. It takes about 10 minutes to tear apart the dash board to a state where you can work on it. This is good to know since its easy to DIY and if you get it installed, it wont be a lot of labor

I end up leaving the second one in simply because it was already there but added an underseat sub, new JVC HU, added the '16 Kicker tweeters (for no other reason that there are holes for them) and added some 3 ways for the rear doors. Now the system is acceptable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RF upgrade works great with the 18' Sport

I was nervous to install this part after reading all the bad experiences people have had with the 17'. I have an 18' sport with the 8" HU and installed it myself. Took me about 3 hours being careful not to break any clips or scratch anything. Everything went in easy, that's why I bought the RF pack. Everything just plugs right in, no wiring.

The sound quality is a LOT better. You can hear the DSP make everything overall just sound better, but the biggest improvement is having more bass. (the stock paper 6x9's were much lower quality than I thought they would be. pics below)

I paid $322 with shipping from a Colorado Springs dealer (website is bestbuysubaru .com) for the upgrade and I feel that's right about what its worth, a good upgrade in sound and a conveniently easy install.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 69 Posts