5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the Rockford Fosgate upgrade for my 2018 Crosstrek and I have a question about how it was installed.

With the factory system, when I turned the key off, the radio would keep playing until I opened a door. After the upgrade, as soon as the key is turned off, the sound stops but the radio is still powered. Should it still be making sound until I open a door?

I'm wondering if maybe the installer connected the amp to the wrong power line. It seems that if the head unit is powered, then the amp should be as well.

If other people that have this system could comment on how theirs works, I would love to hear it.
Have you figured anything out with this? Dealership ordered in a new HU for me, takes about an hour to install, but I honestly think it's a wiring issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yep, that's how my radio has been too.
The radio turns off after I turn the key to off.
I didn't realize it may have something to do with the upgrade.
I would like the radio to stay on until I open the door, as is the factory default setting it seems.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So, been reading a lot in the audio section. I keep seeing mention of a connector under the seat to add in an amp. Is this harness / connector standard in the impreza? I have a premium. I am looking to add an amp and some extra rear speakers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So, been reading a lot in the audio section. I keep seeing mention of a connector under the seat to add in an amp. Is this harness / connector standard in the impreza? I have a premium. I am looking to add an amp and some extra rear speakers.
There shouldn't be a connector under the seat unless you already have a HK/Rockford installed under the passenger seat or what I may be incorrectly remembering as an Eyesight component under the drivers seat; I feel like its for the radar but I could easily be mistaken.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Original thread poster here...
I have a '17 Premium that, as this thread stated, I installed the Rockford Fosgate (RF) upgrade.
Under the front passenger seat are two threaded bolts under the carpet cutouts. You can check under the seat and you will see them. The RF amp that comes with the upgrade package secures to those bolts. Those bolt connectors are probably standard in all trim lines, but only the limited and sport come preinstalled with the amps, since I think they're pretty much standard audio packages. I may be wrong there. Those bolt connectors are the only things that are there, no other wiring exists. The actual amp wiring comes with the RF upgrade package.
Anyway, if you buy the official RF upgrade package, you will get all the components needed to make it plug and play. These include the amp that goes under the passenger seat, wiring harnesses, 2 front door speakers, extended air ducts that also go under the passenger seat, and some other doodads.

It's a pretty straightforward install, if you don't mind ripping apart your dash, glove compartment, door panels and trim.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
There shouldn't be a connector under the seat unless you already have a HK/Rockford installed under the passenger seat or what I may be incorrectly remembering as an Eyesight component under the drivers seat; I feel like its for the radar but I could easily be mistaken.
INCORRECT. Read my post above.

·
Registered
135 Posts
INCORRECT. Read my post above.
Ok, So I went out to the car, found the amp mounting studs but did not find any unused connectors. Any of the connectors on the bottom of the seat have mating connectors on the other side. I think it's for the 'occupied' sensor, seat heaters, and I see cables/connectors down at both slides.
I was trying to avoid this because it gives me bad headaches. I used to 'fix' bad installs back at the start of my electronics career.
Kinda bummed as I was looking for a simple lazy man's way to throw an amp in and a extra set of rear speakers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok, So I went out to the car, found the amp mounting studs but did not find any unused connectors. Any of the connectors on the bottom of the seat have mating connectors on the other side. I think it's for the 'occupied' sensor, seat heaters, and I see cables/connectors down at both slides.
I was trying to avoid this because it gives me bad headaches. I used to 'fix' bad installs back at the start of my electronics career.
Kinda bummed as I was looking for a simple lazy man's way to throw an amp in and a extra set of rear speakers.
I just wrote yesterday that there are NO wiring connectors under the seat, just the two metal mounting studs. The RF upgrade package comes with all the wiring for the amp.
READ MY POST!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just wrote yesterday that there are NO wiring connectors under the seat, just the two metal mounting studs. The RF upgrade package comes with all the wiring for the amp.
READ MY POST!

Those bolt connectors are probably standard in all trim lines, but only the limited and sport come preinstalled with the amps, since I think they're pretty much standard audio packages. I may be wrong there. Those bolt connectors are the only things that are there, no other wiring exists. The actual amp wiring comes with the RF upgrade package.
Maybe you should correct terms for items "Mounting Studs" are not "Bolt Connectors".

So, I am old and lazy now and figured I could get some easy tips, guess not, too much talking in circles and no real information.

Sorry for not responding earlier but I spent some time in the Hospital / ER with a TIA for the second time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Maybe you should correct terms for items "Mounting Studs" are not "Bolt Connectors".

So, I am old and lazy now and figured I could get some easy tips, guess not, too much talking in circles and no real information.

Sorry for not responding earlier but I spent some time in the Hospital / ER with a TIA for the second time.
What do you mean no real information?
I posted in the original messages in this thread everything about this upgrade, including my pictures of the install and pdf instructions straight from Subaru.
How much more information do you need?!?
Hope everything goes well with the ER visit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just did this install yesterday. And just like the OP, I too cut my hand in the process, although mine happene while I was snaking the harness behind the glove compartment. I also bought mine from Heuberger Subaru (www.bestbuysubaru.com) in Colorado Springs, for $325 shipped. The part number was H630SFL001, which replaced H630SFL000. That being said, when I was done, I had no issues with the back up camera or with the radio turning off before I open the door. Everything works just as before, except with a deeper, louder sound. I now cruise with my bass turned up to 5 instead of 9. The only hang-up I encountered was with where the amp is mounted. The carpet was not cut wide enough at one spot, so I needed to cut away at it a little so the foot of the amp fit. Other than that, installation was just as the instructions say.After pushing the fade to the rear, I decided to upgrade the rear speakers, too. I went with some cheap Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5 3-way speakers. That way I can say I have "8" speakers in my car, just like with the Harmon Kardon upgrade!
(Yes, I intentionally put the 8 in quotes because it's not really 8 speakers, just like the HK upgrade isn't really 8 speakers).

Those of you still considering this upgrade, it does improve the sound and thump. I took pictures of the stock and the upgraded 6x9 speakers. See if you can spot the difference.
20191014_172340.jpg 20191014_165926.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quick follow up, as it has been over a week:

I installed the RF Prime 6.5 3-ways in the rear, and when I tried to see if everything went OK, it did not. The passenger rear speaker makes no noise. Through lots of troubleshooting and testing, I have come to the conclusion that the issue is in the harness provided with the upgrade, specifically, the purple wires coming from the head unit to the amplifier.

I now face a decision: Do I contact the Subaru dealer and ask for a replacement harness, or, do I use t-taps to go around the faulty wiring?

I plan to email the dealership tomorrow, and based on their response, I'll decide which route to go.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Quick follow up, as it has been over a week:

I installed the RF Prime 6.5 3-ways in the rear, and when I tried to see if everything went OK, it did not. The passenger rear speaker makes no noise. Through lots of troubleshooting and testing, I have come to the conclusion that the issue is in the harness provided with the upgrade, specifically, the purple wires coming from the head unit to the amplifier.

I now face a decision: Do I contact the Subaru dealer and ask for a replacement harness, or, do I use t-taps to go around the faulty wiring?

I plan to email the dealership tomorrow, and based on their response, I'll decide which route to go.
So, you're having issues with those two rear speakers that are not part of the official RF upgrade package?
I don't see how that's a Subaru harness problem, it sounds like the speakers are the issue. Did you try to put back the original rears and run the RF upgrade?

·
Registered
48 Posts
So, you're having issues with those two rear speakers that are not part of the official RF upgrade package?
I don't see how that's a Subaru harness problem, it sounds like the speakers are the issue. Did you try to put back the original rears and run the RF upgrade?
No, I'm only having issues with one rear speaker, the passenger-side rear speaker. I did put the OEM speakers back, and the same issue - no sound from the passenger rear speaker. Swapped the rear speakers, and no sound from passenger rear (even though it was a fully functional speaker when installed on driver-side rear). I Disconnected the amplifier harness from the HU and re-connected the factory harness and sound played from all speakers. I then tested the harness wiring that runs from the amplifier to the speakers using a battery, ALL speakers responded. I then tested the impedance of the wiring from the HU to the amplifier using my multi-meter, and found the purple wires had an infinite impedance (broken circuit) while the other three pairs had no impedance (complete circuit).

Those conclusions led me to believe the issue is in the purple wires of the upgrade-supplied harness that run from the Head Unit to the amplifier.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
No, I'm only having issues with one rear speaker, the passenger-side rear speaker. I did put the OEM speakers back, and the same issue - no sound from the passenger rear speaker. Swapped the rear speakers, and no sound from passenger rear (even though it was a fully functional speaker when installed on driver-side rear). I Disconnected the amplifier harness from the HU and re-connected the factory harness and sound played from all speakers. I then tested the harness wiring that runs from the amplifier to the speakers using a battery, ALL speakers responded. I then tested the impedance of the wiring from the HU to the amplifier using my multi-meter, and found the purple wires had an infinite impedance (broken circuit) while the other three pairs had no impedance (complete circuit).

Those conclusions led me to believe the issue is in the purple wires of the upgrade-supplied harness that run from the Head Unit to the amplifier.
Makes sense.
Hope you get it resolved.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Problem is Resolved! I tapped into the purple wires behind the Headunit, snipped the wires after the taps, then ran the speaker wire to the amplifier, tapped that harness and snipped the wires behind the taps to circumvent the wiring. And, Voila! I have sound coming from all four speakers.

And yes, having upgraded speakers in the rear did improve the overall sound quality and was well worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, that's how my radio has been too.
The radio turns off after I turn the key to off.
I didn't realize it may have something to do with the upgrade.
I would like the radio to stay on until I open the door, as is the factory default setting it seems.
Have you had any luck with figuring out why the radio shuts off prior to opening the door? I was going to tear into it today but decided to check back on some forums first hoping someone figured out the issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you had any luck with figuring out why the radio shuts off prior to opening the door? I was going to tear into it today but decided to check back on some forums first hoping someone figured out the issue.
The power circuit that powers the RF amp is switched with the ignition. The difference is the head unit has constant power and switched power. It knows when the car is switched off, but it doesn't turn off until you open the door, and it also knows when you have the door open because CAN bus.

EDIT: maybe not. see below.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The power circuit that powers the RF amp is switched with the ignition. The difference is the head unit has constant power and switched power. It knows when the car is switched off, but it doesn't turn off until you open the door, and it also knows when you have the door open because CAN bus.
I get that, just wondering if someone found the right wires to tap into so everything jives correctly because there are others on the post that it seems like their system turns on and off correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like, I just want to have it work right. Dealership is helpless and told me to power it separately (even tho they installed) and I can surely dig into it and figure it out but I feel like something is wrong since it was “plug and play”. Help!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts