5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like, I just want to have it work right. Dealership is helpless and told me to power it separately (even tho they installed) and I can surely dig into it and figure it out but I feel like something is wrong since it was “plug and play”. Help!
I'm not sure I understand your question.
If the RF kit is installed correctly, it will turn off when you turn the ignition off, but the head unit will remain on.
Your dealer gave you the correct answer. If you want the RF to stay on all the time, you would have to power it separately. However this is not advisable, since as far as I know it doesn't have a remote turn on lead, and therefore would be on 24/7 and drain your battery.

EDIT: maybe not. See below.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The power circuit that powers the RF amp is switched with the ignition. The difference is the head unit has constant power and switched power. It knows when the car is switched off, but it doesn't turn off until you open the door, and it also knows when you have the door open because CAN bus.
Not sure I have been communicating clearly on here. Radio stays on but sound from door speakers stops playing with ignition but my sub continues to play until the door is opened because it is switched thru audio output so it continues to output sound but only bass. Super annoying!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question.
If the RF kit is installed correctly, it will turn off when you turn the ignition off, but the head unit will remain on.
Your dealer gave you the correct answer. If you want the RF to stay on all the time, you would have to power it separately. However this is not advisable, since as far as I know it doesn't have a remote turn on lead, and therefore would be on 24/7 and drain your battery.
See that’s what I am confused about because the dealership said it should turn on and off with the radio NOT ignition but they blamed it on RF but they also said they would swap HU for me because it could be the HU. If you read back in the forum there is another poster than said his/hers does turn on and off with the radio, not the ignition.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure I have been communicating clearly on here. Radio stays on but sound from door speakers stops playing with ignition but my sub continues to play until the door is opened because it is switched thru audio output so it continues to output sound but only bass. Super annoying!
Didn't realize you had a sub. My apologies if you stated that earlier in the thread. I do understand why that would be annoying. I think the solution here is to run a switched turn on lead to your sub instead of having it turn on with audio signal. That way everything shuts off when the ignition shuts off. However, you may be on to something with a malfunction. See below:

See that’s what I am confused about because the dealership said it should turn on and off with the radio NOT ignition but they blamed it on RF but they also said they would swap HU for me because it could be the HU. If you read back in the forum there is another poster than said his/hers does turn on and off with the radio, not the ignition.
I may be confusing how I wired my own system. I used the 20A factory amp circuit for my sub. But I also wired a 12V turn on lead to it. And that lead gets its power from the switched circuit that switches the head unit. So therefore when the ignition is off, so is my DSP, main amp, and sub. I do remember now that the 20A factory amp circuit is constant on. I remember thinking it was switched, cutting the connector off with a wire cutter and hearing the fuse in the engine bay pop cause it was a direct short. And my car was off when that happened.

TLDR; there might be an issue with your head unit or RF amp not talking to each other. I admit, I was wrong at first.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Have you had any luck with figuring out why the radio shuts off prior to opening the door? I was going to tear into it today but decided to check back on some forums first hoping someone figured out the issue.
Nope.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I got tired of my front door speakers (JBL 6x9 triaxial) having way more power than my rear door speakers (JBL 6.5 coaxial). I had the Rockford Fosgate setup installed in my base model by Subaru as one of the few options when I ordered the car. Looking at the 2 connectors to the RF amp under the passenger seat, speaker level inputs for all 4 door speakers come from the head unit on the blue connector, and the outputs to the door speakers are on the gray connector that also has the power and switching power for the RF amp. The purple are for the right rear speaker and the green are for the left rear speaker. I consider the black stripe wire to be the negative wire for each. The amp I added for the rear door speakers (so they would now have power from an amp) had a built in line level converter. If you were adding a separate LLC, the wires coming into the blue connector are still the ones you would use. I'm just adding this info in case anyone else with the RF amp wants to add an amp for the rear door speakers. Finding a good place to get the speaker level inputs from the head unit is important. I considered connecting into the factory wiring for the door speakers, which would be the same purple and green wires on the gray connector, but instead decided just to run new wires from my amp to the rear doors. The factory wires to the rear speaker in the door is a very very small size. The 18AWG wiring I installed looks huge by comparison.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts