5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at upgrading my audio set up and my local Subaru dealer is selling the kit for $305 (comes with 2 speakers and and amplifier). Are there better options for roughly the same price?

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I wonder if you were to blind fold someone and have them listen to both systems at the same volume if they could tell what one is the "upgraded" one.

The harmon kardon sounds darn good to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got the HK audio upgrade from my dealer and it sounds **** good. I dont know what you have now but if you have the HK system just keep it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if you were to blind fold someone and have them listen to both systems at the same volume if they could tell what one is the "upgraded" on.

The harmon kardon sounds darn good to me.
The RF upgrade is for owners with the entry level stereo (8" screen?) that comes on the Base and Premium.

If I recall, the HK system (larger screen) isn't even an option on those trim levels.

But, to answer your question...yes. You can tell a difference between the stock paper speakers vs RF. My wife even noticed the difference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The RF upgrade is for owners with the entry level stereo (8" screen?) that comes on the Base and Premium.

If I recall, the HK system (larger screen) isn't even an option on those trim levels.

But, to answer your question...yes. You can tell a difference between the stock paper speakers vs RF. My wife even noticed the difference.
Just confirmed on Subaru's site.

Stock stereo on Base and Premium is 6.5" screen. 4 speakers on Base and 6 on Premium. Only upgrade is Rockford Fosgate.

The 8" screen and 8 speaker HK system is an option on Sport and Limited models only.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Stock stereo on Base and Premium is 6.5" screen. 4 speakers on Base and 6 on Premium. Only upgrade is Rockford Fosgate.

The 8" screen and 8 speaker HK system is an option on Sport and Limited models only.
Yeah the 8" doesn't come automatically with HK, but HK is only an option on the models with the 8" screen (Sport and Limited) in the US.

I definitely confirm the HK is quite good (even my SO has remarked on how much better it is than her car). I haven't heard the '17 base 4 speaker, base 6, or the Rockford Fosgate upgrades for either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Impreza Sport that I 'may' be buying has the Fosgate upgrade. I take it this is the mid point between the base system and the top end one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Base < Fosgate < HK

I like my HK system but going to add a real low end so I can take the bass stress off the current speakers and use them for mids and highs because the HK system does a good job with that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hockykid53 -

I'm in the exact same situation. Just got my sport with the HK system on Monday. Coming from my 07' VW where I had an all Alpine system...I'm really missing the low end. I've been trying to do research but can't find much. I'm wondering how easy it will be to add an amp/sub to the HK system? I really miss my 10" type R in the custom box I made (image below). I don't want anything crazy..I really just want something that will go on the rear side.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
hockykid53 -

I'm in the exact same situation. Just got my sport with the HK system on Monday. Coming from my 07' VW where I had an all Alpine system...I'm really missing the low end. I've been trying to do research but can't find much. I'm wondering how easy it will be to add an amp/sub to the HK system? I really miss my 10" type R in the custom box I made (image below). I don't want anything crazy..I really just want something that will go on the rear side.
****, that's a very clean installation.

·
Registered
85 Posts

wonder if you can buy the 2 addtl speakers from the 6 speaker system from premium and install them relatively easily....

·
Registered
260 Posts
hockykid53 -

Thats looks really good! Custom or did the VW have stealth boxes? Best I have found is this https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/wrx-subwoofer-box/

I emailed them and they say it fits the 17' and up Impreza. Only disadvantage I'm seeing is the mount depth.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Yeah the 8" doesn't come automatically with HK, but HK is only an option on the models with the 8" screen (Sport and Limited) in the US.

I definitely confirm the HK is quite good (even my SO has remarked on how much better it is than her car). I haven't heard the '17 base 4 speaker, base 6, or the Rockford Fosgate upgrades for either.
Actually if you look at all of the part numbers/manufacturers names harman kardon makes all of them from base on up.

Base head unit: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2...-CVT-4WD/STEREO-DECK/68013286/86201FL70A.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
Custom (though lots of companies made them for the MkV VW), had to laser cut a spacer because I ended up getting an Alpine Type R and man did that thing have a huge magnet. I've been looking all over/emailing to see if anyone is making one for the Impreza. I don't want to make one haha....unfortunately, I don't see anything yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
curious about something

So my base model only has 4 speakers? Could I get 4 new 6 1/2''s and a tweeter set and run them off the stock deck? Would I need to get speaker amps and ect? My 2017 WRX had the worst stereo I've ever heard and it was because of the stereo being the bottleneck. I am truly considering getting some new speakers but thought I would jump in and get some opinions. Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
curious about something

So my base model only has 4 speakers? Could I get 4 new 6 1/2''s and a tweeter set and run them off the stock deck? Would I need to get speaker amps and ect? My 2017 WRX had the worst stereo I've ever heard and it was because of the stereo being the bottleneck. I am truly considering getting some new speakers but thought I would jump in and get some opinions. Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually just ordered JBL GT7-6C 6 1/2's with tweeters and crossovers for the fronts so i can get tweeter action in there and more bumpage. also git an extra set of just the same 6 1/2 without the tweeter.. my total was like $100 on amazon prime. They will be getting install on Tuesday and I'll fill everyone in on how they sound and easy/tough it was!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the 2018 with the rockford upgrade and it sounds great until i turn the volume past 20 then the bass cuts in half
found out from a rockford rep that subaru has it in there software to prevent the warrantied speakers from blowing and they are working on releasing a patch to correct this voiding the factory warranty but he said the speakers can handle more than what they put into them and it should double the sound i added a 12 in rockford sub and a 1000 watt amp to pick up the low end and because the signal runs off the rear speakers the bass to the sub also cuts in half after the volume is turned past 20 really blows at this point

1 - 19 of 19 Posts