5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
804 Posts
Eventually on one trip to the dealer they identified a leak which caused the loss of power.
Exactly what kind of "leak" causes loss of power?
What did they do to resolve?
Do you have all the documentation for this?

----------------------
Additionally -- I sure hope that you have ALL the printed documentation of previous visits to dealership when you were complaining about 'loss of power" These may be your leverage to help convince SOA to cover your repairs.

If you do not have said documents.... suggest you go to dealership and ask them to reprint for you everything they have regarding your previous visits to dealer.

The proof that you had a problem and took it to dealership in the past is a pretty STRONG case.

In the end, If it comes to it, they have to PROVE that you somehow did not follow the owners-manual maintenance or were negligent.

· Registered
804 Posts
Inspector says “Catastrophic internal engine damage is a result of a lack of proper lubrication (quality and quantity) and appears to have begun with the spinning of #2-3 rod bearings with continued operation causing extensive internal damage.”
Can we assume you have ALL the documentation of oil-changes? In that case, this failure is NOT YOUR FAULT.

A lawyer said I had no case today because it wasn’t CPO by subaru when I purchased the vehicle.
Did you buy this vehicle with warantee? Again, you need the documentation to back this up.

· Registered
804 Posts
The more you research this, you more you'll realize your warranty is a sales tactic, not a safety net.
Agreed - When some automakers start offering 10-year warantees... the rest of the automakers cringe. From their perspective a "warantee" is simply a cost against their books for which they are responsible.... yet, if they do not offer the same 10-year warantee, they lose a lot of sales.

Knowing that, we (as consumers) need to realize it is OUR responsability to keep all documentation and be able to PROVE our case if it comes down to it. You can be sure the automaker will find every possible way to NOT pay.

-------------
I have been working on machines for over 50 years. Over that time, I have come to believe that a well-maintained USED car will be more reliable than a NEW car.

This is because ACTUALLY USING a machine proves its reliability.
"new" only means it is untested and unknown and only invites operational problems.

· Registered
804 Posts
The issue is many used cars hit the market because the reliability is now in question and they want to unload a problem.
A car with 50K - 90K miles on it has PROVEN itself as reliable. Any major problems have been identified and resolved by warantee.

If used car has a problem, it will be a SINGLE issue which, when resolved will result in a reliable vehicle. (If a bonehead has worked on it and tried replacing a lot of parts... all bets are off..... People who blindly replace parts are ASKING for trouble)

A NEW car could have many, niggly little issues over the first 50K miles as the kinks are worked out.

HENCE: I still maintain that a WELL MAINTAINED used car will always be more reliable than new car.
The money saved by buying used will EASILY cover any required repairs. If it does not break... you have the money in the bank that you did not spend on new car. (Always pay cash for a car)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts