5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
The more you research this, you more you'll realize your warranty is a sales tactic, not a safety net.
Agreed - When some automakers start offering 10-year warantees... the rest of the automakers cringe. From their perspective a "warantee" is simply a cost against their books for which they are responsible.... yet, if they do not offer the same 10-year warantee, they lose a lot of sales.

Knowing that, we (as consumers) need to realize it is OUR responsability to keep all documentation and be able to PROVE our case if it comes down to it. You can be sure the automaker will find every possible way to NOT pay.

-------------
I have been working on machines for over 50 years. Over that time, I have come to believe that a well-maintained USED car will be more reliable than a NEW car.

This is because ACTUALLY USING a machine proves its reliability.
"new" only means it is untested and unknown and only invites operational problems.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Agreed - When some automakers start offering 10-year warantees... the rest of the automakers cringe. From their perspective a "warantee" is simply a cost against their books for which they are responsible.... yet, if they do not offer the same 10-year warantee, they lose a lot of sales.

Knowing that, we (as consumers) need to realize it is OUR responsability to keep all documentation and be able to PROVE our case if it comes down to it. You can be sure the automaker will find every possible way to NOT pay.

-------------
I have been working on machines for over 50 years. Over that time, I have come to believe that a well-maintained USED car will be more reliable than a NEW car.

This is because ACTUALLY USING a machine proves its reliability.
"new" only means it is untested and unknown and only invites operational problems.
The issue is many used cars hit the market because the reliability is now in question and they want to unload a problem.
The number of dishonest sellers I've run across in doing pre-purchase inspections when I was a tech was astounding.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The issue is many used cars hit the market because the reliability is now in question and they want to unload a problem.
A car with 50K - 90K miles on it has PROVEN itself as reliable. Any major problems have been identified and resolved by warantee.

If used car has a problem, it will be a SINGLE issue which, when resolved will result in a reliable vehicle. (If a bonehead has worked on it and tried replacing a lot of parts... all bets are off..... People who blindly replace parts are ASKING for trouble)

A NEW car could have many, niggly little issues over the first 50K miles as the kinks are worked out.

HENCE: I still maintain that a WELL MAINTAINED used car will always be more reliable than new car.
The money saved by buying used will EASILY cover any required repairs. If it does not break... you have the money in the bank that you did not spend on new car. (Always pay cash for a car)

·
Registered
2017 Red Impreza Sport
144 Posts
Damn, this is so shitty, but I always know dealerships (aptly called stealerships by a few family members) will try to charge you more than an arm and a leg. I had that PCV valve recall and they performed half a service before a new manager told me to come back. Turns out they had to replace the entire lower half of my engine since they never reported the cracking. I hope you get this resolved. You got a lot of really good help esp from small claims.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts