5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to take off the factory roof rails on a premium trim. I'm wondering if I have to pull the headliner out. I either want to paint them or ditch them if I can. I really like the clean roof look of the sports. Any info would be awesome! :grin2:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Anyone know how to take off the factory roof rails on a premium trim. I'm wondering if I have to pull the headliner out. I either want to paint them or ditch them if I can. I really like the clean roof look of the sports. Any info would be awesome! :grin2:
Most vehicles there is covers covering the screws on the exterior. First time I heard of pulling the headliners that's extreme.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Apparently the headliner does have to be R&I'd which is insane. Here's a video which may help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I'll see if there's a cap on the rails next time I'm available, if so I'll post it up here. I'm pretty sure I would have to remove the headliner thought so I think I'll just keep em.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wonder why Subaru doesn't offer the 5 door premium with a no roof rack option. No harm no foul in giving people the option to either have or delete it as they see fit. I inquired at my local dealer if it was possible to order a premium with no roof rack and they said they would make some calls.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder why Subaru doesn't offer the 5 door premium with a no roof rack option. No harm no foul in giving people the option to either have or delete it as they see fit. I inquired at my local dealer if it was possible to order a premium with no roof rack and they said they would make some calls.

Looks like no on the premium for without racks, looks like its part of what makes it a "premium"
I can tell you from my experience at a different brand dealer, that people are pissed their car DIDN'T come with a roof rack and want to add it. I see your point though and can appreciate it.

From the Subaru web page..

Roof Racking
Every Impreza model comes with roof racking capability, including standard roof rails on Premium[/B] and Limited 5-door models and standard roof rack brackets on the sedan. So, whether your trip includes bikes, kayaks, or cargo, it’s ready when you are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but here in 2021 I just got my 2017 Impreza hatch premium yesterday, and one of the first things Im looking to do is change out the vertical rails for horizontal trule roof rack. Dont want to have to just add the cross bars on the stock verticals, I will if I have to, but genuinely asking if anyone can reply if they found out for sure whether the headliner needs to be removed or not.

Can't find anything with more info than this thread, I figured u could just detach the stock railing since it looks like its sitting on a whole strip on either side of this roof for this purpose, similar to adding trule rack like I saw in a video but... Going to look when I can later, might just take them off for now if its easier than it seems here and delete them, but expecting the worst for now... thanks for any info anyone can give me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts