5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago, I picked up my new 2019 premium hatch that I ordered. I just dropped it off for a full fluid film undercoating and System X Diamond paint protection- so I do not have it in my garage atm..

It's next stop will be at a window tint shop- but also want my roof rails black instead of silver.. He is asking if they are metal or plastic, and I don't know for sure. This will determine if we can powder coat them (if metal) or if we'll need to paint them. (They are the factory silver rails on a '19 premium hatch)

Can anyone say for sure if the silver roof rails are metal or plastic? If just the main silver portion is metal, can it be entirely removed from any plastic parts safely so it can be powdercoated?

Thanks in advance- will post pics and introduce when I get her back. Also, I gather that the headliner must be dropped to remove? Is that accurate?

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Geez, if he can't tell what they are when they are right in front of him, he must either be blind or stupid!

Sorry if unclear- but two different people/places.

Doing undercoat and paint protection now at one shop-

when that's done later in the week it will be going to a different shop for tinting, paint/powder rails, etc..

I'm talking to the 2nd guy now, but my car Is with the 1st guy...

Do you by chance have rails on your car that you can help me out or?.. I'm trying to get info for the 2nd guy so he can provide an honest quote based on what work he needs to do.. I can't provide that info, as the car is not in front of me- Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just looked at mine. There's no way to tell for certain without damaging the paint... but I'm guessing aluminum. It's simply too rigid to be plastic of any kind. Tapping it it's obviously hollow, and given that it's even more certain to be aluminum, plastic that thin would not pass muster as a roof rail.

But that's just my opinion, not fact as determined by destructive analysis. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked at mine. There's no way to tell for certain without damaging the paint... but I'm guessing aluminum. It's simply too rigid to be plastic of any kind. Tapping it it's obviously hollow, and given that it's even more certain to be aluminum, plastic that thin would not pass muster as a roof rail.

But that's just my opinion, not fact as determined by destructive analysis. :)
Thank you for looking! Does it look like the black parts of it are also metal and (if plastic) does it appear that they can be separated from the silver rails?

·
Registered
374 Posts
The supports are plastic... verified :( , by knife point.

Therefore, I'm pretty sure the retaining hardware goes through the supports and attach the rail/support assembly to the roof channels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Omg sorry, hope no damage!

Thanks for checking it out!

Just to clarify, Your best guess would be if it is unbolted from the car, the silver metal portion could be isolated and sent to powder coat, then reassembled?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Omg sorry, hope no damage!

Thanks for checking it out!

Just to clarify, Your best guess would be if it is unbolted from the car, the silver metal portion could be isolated and sent to powder coat, then reassembled?
Yes.

After having its paint removed prior to powdercoating, unless I don't know what I think I do about powder coating... although that's probably a given as part of the process.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New problem- Anyone have experience dropping the headliner on these? There is a video out there from a previous generation, but not ours. Specifically, how do we remove sun visor? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts