5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have 2017 Limited that shows individual tire pressures on the dashboard.
After rotating tires, will it relearn the TPMS system and figure the new tire positions by itself or do I need to take it to a shop?
If shop, can I get the rotation done at non-dealer such as Costco?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No - TPMS won't relearn on it's own

Hi,
I have 2017 Limited that shows individual tire pressures on the dashboard.
After rotating tires, will it relearn the TPMS system and figure the new tire positions by itself or do I need to take it to a shop?
If shop, can I get the rotation done at non-dealer such as Costco?

Thanks in advance.
No - it won't relearn on it's own. You will need a shop and my independent shop could not do it; after failing he recommended going to the dealer but I never did. You would have to ask Cosco if they can handle the reassigning of the wheel's sensor codes. Note that the 2017 Impreza is apparently different from prior Impreza years and other Subaru models.

I purchased the ATEQ Quickset for my 2017 Premium trim Impreza change-over to new wheel mounted snow tires and their software apparently could not handle the new 2017 ECU Impreza code. I don't have a driver indication of which tire is low on my trim level to my knowledge - just the odd little warning light. ATEQ may have an update later this year as the last update was Nov 2016; I'm hoping for the best. I wound up using the universal black electrical tape solution - cover the darned light and checked my own tire pressure with a pressure gauge like the pioneers in their Conestoga wagons did. Was there a Schrader valve on the ox too?

For a tire rotate your dash light would still work to indicate a problem; your system would just point to the wrong corner of the car after your rotate if a tire pressure fell too low. I'd not spend much of my hard earned money just for that. Your dealer might include the TPMS reset in the price of his tire rotate service in any case. If you get a price let us know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I may hijack the thread:

1. Does the Premium trim level show individual tire pressure or just indicate when one is low? (Ours is on order and I haven't yet researched details to that level).

2. We're interested in buying a set of dedicated wheels for winter tires. I came across a reputable eBay seller who clones the TMPS sensors (he rents a tool if you need to get their IDs) before shipping them to you. Anyone take this route? Any issues?

SUBARU TPMS TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SENSOR PROGRAMMING WE CLONE YOUR TPMS SENSORS | eBay

·
Registered
157 Posts
No indivdual tire pressure shown; but no clone either??

1. Does the Premium trim level show individual tire pressure or just indicate when one is low? (Ours is on order and I haven't yet researched details to that level).

2. We're interested in buying a set of dedicated wheels for winter tires. I came across a reputable eBay seller who clones the TMPS sensors (he rents a tool if you need to get their IDs) before shipping them to you. Anyone take this route? Any issues?

SUBARU TPMS TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SENSOR PROGRAMMING WE CLONE YOUR TPMS SENSORS | eBay
2017 Premium trim Impreza TPMS just has the warning light and no specific tire corner displayed. That's actually maybe an advantage as you don't need to re-program the ECU to have that info be accurate after a tire rotation. Won't mislead someone with a false message. Just need a tire gauge to find the culprit tire when you get the warning.

Bad news
- I was interested in the ebay site myself from your post. I got "This part is not compatible with 2017 Subaru Impreza." when I input the model year. My do-it-yourself-program ATEQ Quickset tool was not yet compatible this winter with the Impreza 2017 year either. It could read the codes but not re-program. Sounds like a dealer visit or maybe wait just a bit longer for the purchase of the dedicated wheels.

In my case I purchased snow tires on wheels from Tirerack in late Feb 2017 (on sale!!!) and they installed the tire sensors. Not cheap and not clone-able. If the clone sensors can work for you Tirerack would be selling em I think - and I don't see them even after checking today. The alternative I see right now is to have a dealer re-program the ECU when the snow tires with wheels get mounted on car come snow time. Or use the universal black electrical tape solution on your brand new car!!!! That's what I did for the few months.

Be sure to post if you find working clones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2017 Premium trim Impreza TPMS just has the warning light and no specific tire corner displayed. That's actually maybe an advantage as you don't need to re-program the ECU to have that info be accurate after a tire rotation. Won't mislead someone with a false message. Just need a tire gauge to find the culprit tire when you get the warning.

Bad news
- I was interested in the ebay site myself from your post. I got "This part is not compatible with 2017 Subaru Impreza." when I input the model year. My do-it-yourself-program ATEQ Quickset tool was not yet compatible this winter with the Impreza 2017 year either. It could read the codes but not re-program. Sounds like a dealer visit or maybe wait just a bit longer for the purchase of the dedicated wheels.

In my case I purchased snow tires on wheels from Tirerack in late Feb 2017 (on sale!!!) and they installed the tire sensors. Not cheap and not clone-able. If the clone sensors can work for you Tirerack would be selling em I think - and I don't see them even after checking today. The alternative I see right now is to have a dealer re-program the ECU when the snow tires with wheels get mounted on car come snow time. Or use the universal black electrical tape solution on your brand new car!!!! That's what I did for the few months.

Be sure to post if you find working clones.
I'd previously exchanged a few emails with the seller but neglected to ask about compatibility with our model year.

I imagine that if there's a problem with 2017 models it's because the programming tool doesn't have the most up to date software. Hopefully this would be fixed with time. I've emailed for confirmation and will post his response.

Anyway, the process is pretty straight forward: You provide him the sensor codes from your existing wheels (either have a dealer or tire shop pull them for you or rent/buy the specialty reader). He then uses those codes to program the new sensors. Ideally, your car will not know the difference and you can remove and reinstall your summer and winter wheels without any problems.

I suspect that selling programmable sensors on a large scale would be too difficult to manage given the burden placed on the owner to provide accurate, original codes and then in keeping things straight on their end. Also. some car manufacturers don't have such onerous hurdles in place to prevent owners from dealing with TMPS swaps, so a market wouldn't be as large as you'd think. However, there's probably room for a Subaru guy to make a few bucks catering to folks like us.

When I was price checking programming tools for my own use, it seemed that once formatted (requiring a visit to the shop), they were only good for that vehicle. Given that three of our cars have TMPS systems, it would be great to take care of sensor issues on my own...but not for the kind of money required to have a unique device for all three. I'll gladly throw money his way if it works.

·
Registered
157 Posts
... some car manufacturers don't have such onerous hurdles in place to prevent owners from dealing with TMPS ...

...When I was price checking programming tools for my own use, it seemed that once formatted (requiring a visit to the shop), they were only good for that vehicle...
I hear ya; my 2012 Mazda TPMS can be set by the owner so easily I wonder if the system is working.

The ATEQ Quickset can work with multiple cars - just gotta be the right cars it seems. I was surprised to see the Honda, Hundai, Nissan, and Toyota all listed and new ones at that. Almost sounds like a conspiracy!

Been a while so my recollection my be fuzzy as to how many were in the computer software database but it seemed like 4 cars; you could always use a second computer you will likely have laying around for the 7 year life of a TPMS sensor and then save a set of codes for 4 more cars. The actual unit holds codes for only one car summer and winter set. You use the computer to load and save for additional 3 cars for 4 total. The unit reads the current codes from your car's OBD-II with the corner positions, you then plug the unit into your Windows computer and save those codes to their software's summer data file entry for this car, you input the codes for your new winter wheel sensors which are saved to the unit and the computer. Take it back to the car and plug it into the OBD-II port and hit the load summer or load winter button. Take a short trip and see if this all worked. If you have the other tire set nearby the car reads those and your warning light will then come on when you leave the neighborhood.

Whew! I hope I got that right. Now take the money you saved to the liquor store and reward yourself. With only one car you can eliminate going back and forth to the computer for the car code set as it saves the 8 codes as Winter and Summer internally. I would not do this riga-ma-roll for a tire rotate for the cars with the 4 tire/corner-of-car display just to keep that accurate.

Now you see why I visited the TPMS Sensor Clone Store you found. Does TPMS stand for Totally Pi***d Me-off Sensor?

·
Registered
470 Posts
The Premium and Sport lines can show all four sensors in a quadrant on the display. Incredibly poor thinking of Subaru to make it impossible for an owner, or even a tire shop, to reassign these positions when the tires are rotated. Some cars use 4 receiving units (one per wheel well) to make that effortless. SoA, are you listening or did the radio just come on to distract you? :surprise:

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Premium and Sport lines can show all four sensors in a quadrant on the display. Incredibly poor thinking of Subaru to make it impossible for an owner, or even a tire shop, to reassign these positions when the tires are rotated. Some cars use 4 receiving units (one per wheel well) to make that effortless. SoA, are you listening or did the radio just come on to distract you? :surprise:
you don't need to re program your tmps sensors when you rotate your wheels. the computer automatically knows which wheel went were.

thats how its always been unless subaru changed something for whatever reason...

·
Registered
470 Posts
you don't need to re program your tmps sensors when you rotate your wheels. the computer automatically knows which wheel went were.

thats how its always been unless subaru changed something for whatever reason...
I was told otherwise, but haven't gotten to a rotation yet to test it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
the computer automatically knows which wheel went were.

I was told otherwise, but haven't gotten to a rotation yet to test it. My previous Subaru was an '06 Forester, the last year not to have a TPMS system :wink2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
No - it won't relearn on it's own. You will need a shop and my independent shop could not do it; after failing he recommended going to the dealer but I never did. You would have to ask Cosco if they can handle the reassigning of the wheel's sensor codes. Note that the 2017 Impreza is apparently different from prior Impreza years and other Subaru models.

I purchased the ATEQ Quickset for my 2017 Premium trim Impreza change-over to new wheel mounted snow tires and their software apparently could not handle the new 2017 ECU Impreza code. I don't have a driver indication of which tire is low on my trim level to my knowledge - just the odd little warning light. ATEQ may have an update later this year as the last update was Nov 2016; I'm hoping for the best. I wound up using the universal black electrical tape solution - cover the darned light and checked my own tire pressure with a pressure gauge like the pioneers in their Conestoga wagons did. Was there a Schrader valve on the ox too?

For a tire rotate your dash light would still work to indicate a problem; your system would just point to the wrong corner of the car after your rotate if a tire pressure fell too low. I'd not spend much of my hard earned money just for that. Your dealer might include the TPMS reset in the price of his tire rotate service in any case. If you get a price let us know.
For the upcoming winter have you gotten the ATEQ tool to work?

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
101 Posts
2017 Premium trim Impreza TPMS just has the warning light and no specific tire corner displayed....
Our 2018 Premium trim Impreza shows individual tire pressures.

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
101 Posts

1. The 2018 Impreza Premium shows the individual tire pressures.

2. Better check this eBay item again. I ran the check to see if these would work on a 2017 or 2018 Impreza and the answer was "No."

Mack

·
Registered
157 Posts
no update yet to the ATEQ Quickset software

For the upcoming winter have you gotten the ATEQ tool to work?
Nope. There has been no update to the ATEQ Quickset software or documentation. Their web site "hot spot" says updated Nov 2017, but it was apparently a typo and the chart still says Nov 2016 in it's text. Compatibility chart stops with 2016 Impreza. I may let a tire shop install the snow tires & wheels and have them turn off the dash TPMS light this season. I think I still have the black electrical tape too.

Oh - the single TPMS warning light on my Impreza vs some other folks Premium trim rides with corner tire pressures displays - seems to be related to the B&W display vs the color display for those with the Eyesight option I think.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ATEQ Quickset

... There has been no update to the ATEQ Quickset software or documentation... .
Thought I'd try to work the Quickset device just to be sure. There may have been an software update of some kind but it made no difference to the units troubles with my 2017 Premium trim Impreza. Same symptoms as before - failure to load the new sensor codes.

I sent an email to their support site asking if they can assist me and inquiring if they do intend to support the car's TPMS anytime soon. They did respond this last spring to my first email support request but had no solution then but to wait for the next season update.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My 2017 Limited does show all individual pressures on the dash screen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2017 Limited here. Bought a winter package from Tire Rack, local Subaru dealer was not able to get the TPMS working. Nor was one of their recommended installers.

The ATEQ TPM Quickset was able download the original sensor ids from the car. Bought an ATEQ VT31, it could not read the Tire Rack sensors. Returned it to Amazon.

In the mean time, the TPMS light is on, and Tire Rack has not been very helpful.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
2017 Limited here. Bought a winter package from Tire Rack, local Subaru dealer was not able to get the TPMS working. Nor was one of their recommended installers.

The ATEQ TPM Quickset was able download the original sensor ids from the car. Bought an ATEQ VT31, it could not read the Tire Rack sensors. Returned it to Amazon.

In the mean time, the TPMS light is on, and Tire Rack has not been very helpful.
Welcome.

Yea I hate these sensor things and so does a bud who owns a shop.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

I do not believe this statement is accurate. How would the computer know which tire went where??? Every manufacturer that I am aware of that displays all 4 pressures has a handheld device that relearns the tires in their new position.

·
Registered
187 Posts

My dealer was able to program the Tire Rack sensors, so I don’t think it’s Tire Racks issue. The Service manager told me it was all new equipment for the 433MHz sensors and that it seems to take multiple tries to get it to take. Try a different dealer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts