5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of coil over and spring talk and yes I have read it all.
I’m looking for any feed back on RS-R Sports*I Coilover kit for a 2019 Impreza Sport 5-door.... has anyone ran these or heard any pros vs cons?
This kit ships directly from Japan not the USA. Kit runs $1799
TIA on the advice and opinions.

·
Registered
2017 Toyota 86, 2020 Impreza
19 Posts
They're decent/good coils for the FT86 platform. The quality should be the same or similar.
Spring Rates:
Front 2.81kg/mm
Rear 4.29kg/mm

Softer front spring rates should promote better turn in. I couldn't find any info on what the factory rates are for comparison.

The dampening is pretty good and you have some adjustability for ride.

They're also rebuildable which is a plus, as like any shock they will wear out. You'll need to contact RSR for rebuilds FYI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're decent/good coils for the FT86 platform. The quality should be the same or similar.
Spring Rates:
Front 2.81kg/mm
Rear 4.29kg/mm

Softer front spring rates should promote better turn in. I couldn't find any info on what the factory rates are for comparison.

They're also rebuildable which is a plus, as like any shock they will wear out. You'll need to contact RSR for rebuilds FYI.
Spring Rates:
Front 2.81kg/mm
Rear 4.29kg/mm

• Spring Rate Options
    • Soft
      • Front: 5.00kg/mm
      • Rear: 4.00kg/mm
    • Medium
      • Front: 6.00kg/mm
      • Rear: 5.00kg/mm
    • Hard
      • Front: 7.00kg/mm
      • Rear: 6.00kg/mm
Stats from RS-R directly and they are recommending the “medium” rate for daily drivers. What you think, worth the $1799 or will the BC Racing be similar for a fraction of the cost?
The RS-R are rubber bushing instead of pillow ball too.

·
Registered
2017 Toyota 86, 2020 Impreza
19 Posts
  • Spring Rate Options
    • Soft
      • Front: 5.00kg/mm
      • Rear: 4.00kg/mm
    • Medium
      • Front: 6.00kg/mm
      • Rear: 5.00kg/mm
    • Hard
      • Front: 7.00kg/mm
      • Rear: 6.00kg/mm
Stats from RS-R directly and they are recommending the “medium” rate for daily drivers. What you think, worth the $1799 or will the BC Racing be similar for a fraction of the cost?
The RS-R are rubber bushing instead of pillow ball too.
Oops I referenced the lowering spring settings. Soft or medium work for daily use. If they suggest medium they probably have shocks better optimized for those spring rates. You could always shoot them an email and ask a couple questions.

You get better quality shocks for the added cost. I would never run BCs on my car, unless you get into expensive custom orders. You are limited in selection on the Impreza so it's ultimately up to you whether they're worth the upcharge.

Rubber bushings are a plus, pillow Ball mounts can pop and make noise, not ideal for a daily driver.

I would rather run a high end shock like a bilstein or Koni, and get a lowering spring with a mild drop, but they dont seem to offer anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts