5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always get my newer MY19 Impreza serviced at the dealer, but the other day I popped open the bonnet to check the windscreen washer reservoir and by chance I noticed one of the front rubber shock absorber covers (looks like neoprene black rubber) had come loose, on closer inspection there was a lot of brown rusty water inside the recessed area where the top shock absorber nut is. I would have thought the dealer would have picked that up. I then had a look on the other side which rubber cover was still in place. There was brown rust evident on the shock nut but it wasn't as bad as the other side. Fortunately the rust was only confined to the shock screw thread and nut so it spent over a hour cleaning both sides with WD40 and Isopropyl alcohol lots of cotton wool buds and rags to drive the rusty coloured water out. After letting it dry out I I then hit the nut and screw thread with CRC white lithium grease. I hope I've done the right thing hitting to corroded nut and screw thread with white lithium grease? it won't perish any rubber seals? I am surprised the rubber cover tolerance is so loose for this to happen on a new car.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome! - there's at least one long thread, and a TSB, on this issue. The new strut tower covers are larger but still subject to water intrusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! - there's at least one long thread, and a TSB, on this issue. The new strut tower covers are larger but still subject to water intrusion.

Thanks, I didn't see that one.

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
106 Posts
I always get my newer MY19 Impreza serviced at the dealer, but the other day I popped open the bonnet to check the windscreen washer reservoir and by chance I noticed one of the front rubber shock absorber covers (looks like neoprene black rubber) had come loose, on closer inspection there was a lot of brown rusty water inside the recessed area where the top shock absorber nut is. I would have thought the dealer would have picked that up. I then had a look on the other side which rubber cover was still in place. There was brown rust evident on the shock nut but it wasn't as bad as the other side. Fortunately the rust was only confined to the shock screw thread and nut so it spent over a hour cleaning both sides with WD40 and Isopropyl alcohol lots of cotton wool buds and rags to drive the rusty coloured water out. After letting it dry out I I then hit the nut and screw thread with CRC white lithium grease. I hope I've done the right thing hitting to corroded nut and screw thread with white lithium grease? it won't perish any rubber seals? I am surprised the rubber cover tolerance is so loose for this to happen on a new car.
I ordered the larger sized seals for my 2018 for $6 and installed them myself after doing the rusty cleanup. Happy to report that my 2020 Impreza was delivered with redesigned rubber seals to keep out the water.

Peace... Mack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts