5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road construction this morning- sliced my right front tire through the shoulder. It's junk at 1500 miles. Is there any road hazard coverage, as delivered on the Impreza, on the Yokohama 838s?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Road construction this morning- sliced my right front tire through the shoulder. It's junk at 1500 miles. Is there any road hazard coverage, as delivered on the Impreza, on the Yokohama 838s?
I had issue with this at 5k car was 6 weeks old got hole in tire (not a nail there as nothing in tire when inspected). Took to dealer because I have the free maintenance package that came with the car. Was told can't patch it and would hve to wait until Monday to get a new 265.00 tire. They wouldn't patch it because of some BS reason about side walls. My friend works at America's Tire took it there on spare they patched tire no problem. So long rant short no there isn't anything but if your dealer doesn't suck they should help you out with at least tire at cost. Best of luck!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got a great deal on a replacement tire at simpletire.com after I ruined one. Dealer charged only $12 to mount and balance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a reason the dealer cant fix the tire.

The dealer doesn't own the road hazard, why should they give you a tire at cost? I would go after the state, county or city that manages the road. You have a much better chance there for reimbursement since they are responsible for the road condition.

"The U.S. government through the Department of Transportation (DOT) regulates several aspects of tire repairs and maintenance. DOT states that regular tire maintenance is necessary to avoid sudden tire failure on the road. DOT sets tire repair guidelines that tire shops have to follow.
Punctured Tire

Repairing a punctured tire involves plugging the hole in the tire. It also requires a patch for the inside of the tire, around the area of the puncture. Note that tires have to be completely separated from the rim to be properly repaired, plugged, and patched.

Repairable And Non-Repairable

According to the DOT, any puncture that is in the side wall or shoulder, or shoulder to the side wall area of the tire is considered a non-repairable puncture. Punctures through the tread, if not too large, are repairable."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer. Usually there is a flyer for tires in the package
of manuals and papers that came with the car. Not sure if they will cover a road hazard problem,
I would ask if it happened to my car.

Clifton

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm in Connecticut. State, town and private contractor liability for negligence performing roadwork is very carefully rigged to prevent people from getting compensation for such things. First off, they make it difficult to submit a claim by hiding the claim process, and by subcontracting so you cant find the responsible party or their insurance company.
In this case it was road grinding as part of a long running improvement project in the next town over. Been numerous problems with it, including delays and horrendous traffic problems.
That left raised structures all over the travel lanes- manhole covers, water main caps, etc. Some of these are 3-4" above the road surface. Not all are marked, impossible to see in the dark & with headlights.
They aren't supposed to left up like that- the requirement is that they're "collared" with asphalt prior to final road surfacing.
The town claims it's the State's responsibility. The state claim process is blind- you mail the claim, they don't even acknowledge receipt. Many people don't even get a reply, let alone an outright denial.
(end rant)
Probably going to put 4 Conti DWS06 on the car, sell the 3 Yokos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts