5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm currently mulling over trading my 2016 Crosstrek Limited in on a 2017 Impreza Sport Wagon. Dollar for dollar the Sport looks to be a fantastic deal

I know in Internet forums and especially in car forums you hear more on what is wrong with a car vs what is right. I have to say the issues I'm hearing about the radio/backup camera issues, the herky jerky nature of the CVT and how uncomfortable the seats are have me erring on the side of caution

This is the 1st year of DI engines in the Impreza iirc

I'm especially wary of the seat comfort thing as that is one of the main reasons I'm looking to move from my Crosstrek. It's a long story but the metal pan in the seat of the Crosstrek has a bump that sticks up and after about an hour it causes some discomfort. They must have changed the pan structure in the 2017 and 2018 Impreza/Crosstrek as I don't feel that bump anymore

So all that being said, any totally satisfied 2017 owners who haven't been bit by the gremlins mentioned above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
So for the 3 gripes many people have about the car I would agree with 2 of the 3.

My touchscreen has froze maybe 6 or 7 times on the starlink startup screen but never on the backup camera. I have issues with bluetooth/android auto with the phone not playing music despite being connected or it being connected but not showing that it is. Usually goes back to normal after it is off for a long time. It has happened less frequently after i turned on usb debugging (Galaxy Note 5). I can't speak for apple car play.

The cvt is a little jerky when I'm crawling at ~20mph or less, but thats only in traffic. Its smooth all other times even going up the steep inclines out in NW NJ. If i am in traffic, i just switch to the paddles so I control when the car shifts, makes it less jerky.

I think the seats are fine. Me and my GF drove down to Charleston, SC and It was around the 10 hour mark where we were getting uncomfortable, but that could just be because we were in a car for 10 hours lol

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Radio/backup camera - mostly non-issue for me after the most recent 6.5 inch head unit update. My occasional gripe here is when the bluetooth phone fails to link up and half the time it's me or the phone at fault. Love Android Auto navigation with Google Maps and Waze. The units Android Auto play of the phone or USB chip music audio is only so-so.

CVT jerkyness - non-issue. The only thing I notice in my Western PA hill country is the occasional "burp" or "hiccup" that I think is the transmission up-shifting to a high gear and the torque converter locking up - when the revs drop to about 1000rpm. Welcome to the world of "get the fleet mileage up" government threats. If your commute causes trouble I know I saw a Tech Bulletin transmission program change mentioned to address this and wonder if folks have pursued it. Often the dealers seem to be the last to know about these things; had such happen to me with the recent software update for the head unit. You can always move the shift lever to manual and use the paddle shifters on the trim levels above base.

Seat comfort - I have Premium trim 5-door - non-issue for me as I also use a $25 Walmart gel seat cushion and can do an all day drive with no real discomfort beyond what you expect from old age. It also lets you apply heat to your back and not your butt in case that is your preference. Hey, that would be a good idea; separate the cushion from the back heat setting Subaru! I did have better seats in a Mercury Montego top trim that had electric umpteen way adjustments particularly having the cushion tilt and lumbar adjust. Try out a Limited trim if your budget can tolerate it - one of the car magazines commented on better seat comfort from its electric leather seats.

My only dissatisfaction at this point is what I feel is a bit of wandering at higher speeds on the interstates and sensitivity to cross winds in my hatchback. Some others seem to have no issue here. Oh, and I really find the TPMS setup annoying for changing over to winter snow tires on different wheels - but it is apparently the same system approach as some of the really big Japanese companies.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I'm satisfied with my Sport 5dr.

No issues with the reverse camera at all.

I have my entire radio replaced to fix an issue. Since then it's worked almost perfect. A few quirks here and there.

CVT jerkyness is almost nonexistant for me (currently at 1700 miles). It was awful during the break in period.

I will admit the seat comfort could be better, but I always have issues being comfortable in any type of vehicle.

You won't be disappointed with the Impreza Sport.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I have one problem; my audio unit forgot my Sirius channel presets. That is it (so far), love my 2017 Sport.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Got a 2017 Impreza Sport monday night and so far I love it. The CVT during break in is some what jerky bellow 15/20 but other than that no issues love everything about it. Can't wait to start some mods!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm satisfied with my Sport 5dr.

No issues with the reverse camera at all.

I have my entire radio replaced to fix an issue. Since then it's worked almost perfect. A few quirks here and there.

CVT jerkyness is almost nonexistant for me (currently at 1700 miles). It was awful during the break in period.

I will admit the seat comfort could be better, but I always have issues being comfortable in any type of vehicle.

You won't be disappointed with the Impreza Sport.
Mine still is so jerky, and i have 2,100 miles on mine. How long do break ins last?

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Mine still is so jerky, and i have 2,100 miles on mine. How long do break ins last?
LOL it is broken in I would say.

My last car (2013 Legacy with CVT) was always kind of jerky, I learned to live with it.

My wife had a Jeep Cherokee and when that thing shifted it was like getting slapped in the forehead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts