5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for the rant but I’m currently a bit frustrated.
So I placed a factory order for a new Impreza Sport, grey with the moon roof/HK audio package, no eyesight, on April 8th, with a delivery window of 6 to 12 weeks. The dealer hasn’t really been updating me on the status of the order and the when I called about 3 weeks ago (8 weeks in) they said it was delayed and had a delivery date in July. No explanation for the delay other than they had to build it from scratch which I thought they did anyway…
There hadn’t been an update since then and I still haven’t received a VIN number, so I emailed SOA to see if they could track it down. SOA gave me the VIN number and a shipping date of July 17th, ~3 weeks after 12 week window they gave me, and that is just to ship, not when I get it! The odd thing is that all SOA did was call the dealer for the information… it annoys me that the dealer had this info and didn’t contact me even though I had been asking for updates.

Then yesterday I looked on the dealer’s website and saw the same car with the VIN I got from SOA is listed as “in transit” on their site. So I call the dealer and ask if delivery had been moved up. He told me no, it has a 7/17 shipping date. I then asked how it is in transit and he said it has to arrive at the factory and then ship from there. I said I thought all 2017 Imprezas were made in the Indiana factory now and he said no not all of them. Which I do not think is right b/c Subaru’s site says all are made at that factory. I'm not sure why he would say that?

At this point, I feel like finding what I ordered at different dealer and just buying it there. Yea, I’d lose the $500 deposit but maybe the market has changed and I could get a better deal than before.
Am I being too impatient or is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this or any advice as to what I should do? This is my first time buying a car so I may not know all the ins and outs of it. But it seems like this is taking way too long and the dealer hasn’t been 100% upfront with me.

Thanks to anyone offering help/insight

·
Registered
308 Posts
Delays are normal but the way your dealership is treating you is way crappy.

There are some sales people that will update you even if there is no darn update, those are the best ones.

I would just wait it out, no point losing that $500 and you've already been waiting a decent amount of time. After that though, I would scoot over to another dealership for services.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Not sure how possible this is, but could the dealership have waited to submit the order to Subaru? I've never ordered direct from the factory so I'm not too familiar with this process. Maybe they knew they were going to hit their numbers for April so they submitted the order on May 1?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would just wait it out, no point losing that $500 and you've already been waiting a decent amount of time. After that though, I would scoot over to another dealership for services.
Yea i don't want to lose that $500 either. But my current car has been on its last leg for months and i dont know if it will last much longer. The dash is a Christmas tree, bald tires, needs alignment, rusted out underbody, the list goes on. I ordered expecting in June so i could get rid of this one and be safe, but now i'm stuck driving it longer..
Also the dealer is 5 mins from my house and includes 3yrs of oil changes and loaner cars hahaha

Not sure how possible this is, but could the dealership have waited to submit the order to Subaru? I've never ordered direct from the factory so I'm not too familiar with this process. Maybe they knew they were going to hit their numbers for April so they submitted the order on May 1?
I thought this too. It explains why the car is nearly a month late. I'm not sure how i would look that up though :/

·
Administrator
785 Posts
You mentioned you emailed SOA and they gave you the VIN. Maybe they could also give you the date they received the order from the dealer. If your deposit isn't refundable they know they pretty much control everything. Very few people probably ever walk away for a delayed lead time knowing they would lose $500. That's $500 you won't have for the next dealership.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coletrain - yea so i just emailed SOA and they responded that the order entry date was 5/19 - literally 6 weeks after i signed at the dealer!! the funny thing is i emailed the woman i placed the order with on 5/18!! That means she totally ****ing forgot to place it and now they are trying to pull their mistake of as the factory's fault.

·
Registered
149 Posts
coletrain - yea so i just emailed SOA and they responded that the order entry date was 5/19 - literally 6 weeks after i signed at the dealer!! the funny thing is i emailed the woman i placed the order with on 5/18!! That means she totally ****ing forgot to place it and now they are trying to pull their mistake of as the factory's fault.
if you can get that in writing (the delayed order date), maybe you can approach the dealership, and with a little voice raising, and threatening to give them a very negative review, you can get some compensation;

·
Registered
860 Posts
My expected wait was 3-4 weeks, but turned into 8 weeks. I don't see that harassing or threatening the dealership will do anything to benefit you. Hopefully the dealership just recognizes your patience in waiting and does a good job with the setup and delivery of your new car. Badgering people is not the way to develop a good relationship for any future needs.

Don't burn the bridge any worse than it already has been. Try to be civil.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Wow that is totally unacceptable! Like Argoson said try to get everything in writing from SOA. You can really create a lot of issues for the dealer with this. Negative reviews and you can give them all 0's on your satisfaction survey you get from SOA. That's where dealerships make their incentive money.

If you have anything in writing from that date you actually placed the order with the dealer I would present that to SOA too. If you let them know of the issue they'll get involved and the dealership will have to own up to it.

Sorry about all your inconveniences. This is definitely not a typical buying experience. I'm sure you will be fairly compensated for it too. If not don't stop until you are.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Apologies for the rant but I’m currently a bit frustrated.
So I placed a factory order for a new Impreza Sport, grey with the moon roof/HK audio package, no eyesight, on April 8th, with a delivery window of 6 to 12 weeks. The dealer hasn’t really been updating me on the status of the order and the when I called about 3 weeks ago (8 weeks in) they said it was delayed and had a delivery date in July. No explanation for the delay other than they had to build it from scratch which I thought they did anyway…
There hadn’t been an update since then and I still haven’t received a VIN number, so I emailed SOA to see if they could track it down. SOA gave me the VIN number and a shipping date of July 17th, ~3 weeks after 12 week window they gave me, and that is just to ship, not when I get it! The odd thing is that all SOA did was call the dealer for the information… it annoys me that the dealer had this info and didn’t contact me even though I had been asking for updates.

Then yesterday I looked on the dealer’s website and saw the same car with the VIN I got from SOA is listed as “in transit” on their site. So I call the dealer and ask if delivery had been moved up. He told me no, it has a 7/17 shipping date. I then asked how it is in transit and he said it has to arrive at the factory and then ship from there. I said I thought all 2017 Imprezas were made in the Indiana factory now and he said no not all of them. Which I do not think is right b/c Subaru’s site says all are made at that factory. I'm not sure why he would say that?

At this point, I feel like finding what I ordered at different dealer and just buying it there. Yea, I’d lose the $500 deposit but maybe the market has changed and I could get a better deal than before.
Am I being too impatient or is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this or any advice as to what I should do? This is my first time buying a car so I may not know all the ins and outs of it. But it seems like this is taking way too long and the dealer hasn’t been 100% upfront with me.

Thanks to anyone offering help/insight
That totally blows & I don't blame you for ranting. Sounds to me like the person you dealt with is utterly useless. I know it won't make the car arrive quicker but if I were you, I would be putting in a complaint against the dealer or salesperson. I went to the dealer on a Monday evening but they didn't have a Sport in white or in stock. They did however transfer it from another dealer in Maine to MA. Although my Sport didn't come with the moon roof, eyesight or HK, I still had it by Friday. The dealer I dealt with knew that if they didn't transfer the car from Maine, they would have lost out on a sale. It baffles me, with Subaru assembling the cars in Indiana, that it takes so long to be made & shipped to dealers. As far as I know all 5th generation Imprezas are assembled in Indiana. You would imagine Subaru would have produced a certain number of each trim & have at the ready for shipping when orders arrive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to try and do this in a civil way, maybe a little flustered. Like noslushbox said, I don't wanna go threatening them, I'd like a civil discussion.
So what I have is the yellow receipt from the day I ordered the car, dated April 8. Then I have an email chain to the dealer which I started on May 18 and discussed an update to which they responded we do not have an update as of this time. I also have the email chain from a rep at SOA which I started last week. Most of my correspondence is in email so that's good.

How should I approach the dealer then start a complaint with SOA or or should I just go right to SOA?

·
Administrator
785 Posts
You absolutely want to handle this civilly especially if you plan on having the vehicle serviced there. The more civil you are the more they might work with you, both the dealer and SOA. I would go to to dealer first and see if they own up to anything. If they continue to lie then I would approach SOA. At that point I'd doubt you would want to have the vehicle serviced there if they aren't be honest about this. Maybe during your initial discussion with the rep and sales manager you can casually mention you've been in contact with SOA regarding the status. That way they know you might be able to find out about the actual date the order was submitted.

Don't play all your cards at first, but you definitely have enough to put the dealer in a bad spot.

Reactions: 1stsubie

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's weird.

We received an email from SOA last week, just shy of three weeks after placing the order. Our delivery date is on or by July 10, or six weeks after ordering.

I'm curious as to why you didn't get an order number and VIN from SOA and even need the dealer to provide you with updates.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That totally blows & I don't blame you for ranting. Sounds to me like the person you dealt with is utterly useless. I know it won't make the car arrive quicker but if I were you, I would be putting in a complaint against the dealer or salesperson. I went to the dealer on a Monday evening but they didn't have a Sport in white or in stock. They did however transfer it from another dealer in Maine to MA. Although my Sport didn't come with the moon roof, eyesight or HK, I still had it by Friday. The dealer I dealt with knew that if they didn't transfer the car from Maine, they would have lost out on a sale. It baffles me, with Subaru assembling the cars in Indiana, that it takes so long to be made & shipped to dealers. As far as I know all 5th generation Imprezas are assembled in Indiana. You would imagine Subaru would have produced a certain number of each trim & have at the ready for shipping when orders arrive.
Yea I think no matter what I'll be putting in a complaint because I don't think anyone else should have to be put through waiting unnecessarily. But I'll see what my discussion with the dealer brings. Also I asked if they could find a car to be delivered and since I didn't want any of the dealer add-ons they said they couldn't find a car without one and so I factory ordered. And about all being assembled in IN, you are right its on the Subaru Impreza page.

You absolutely want to handle this civilly especially if you plan on having the vehicle serviced there. The more civil you are the more they might work with you, both the dealer and SOA. I would go to to dealer first and see if they own up to anything. If they continue to lie then I would approach SOA. At that point I'd doubt you would want to have the vehicle serviced there if they aren't be honest about this. Maybe during your initial discussion with the rep and sales manager you can casually mention you've been in contact with SOA regarding the status. That way they know you might be able to find out about the actual date the order was submitted.
Don't play all your cards at first, but you definitely have enough to put the dealer in a bad spot.
Thanks for the tips. I really don't want to play games so I'm going to go into the dealer and discuss what happened to my order & why it is so late was it delayed on your end or the factory, can you speed up the process, can you compensate my for my additional wait time. The sales manager already knows I contacted SOA because I told him the other day, before I found out about the delayed order date. If after talking he still denies the delayed order then I'll just confront him and demand the deposit back & if they don'g give it back, I'll bring that up to SOA too and see what they can do.
I just looked at the order form, the woman didn't even sign it, so I think I could argue that it is not binding because both parties did not sign it?

That's weird.
We received an email from SOA last week, just shy of three weeks after placing the order. Our delivery date is on or by July 10, or six weeks after ordering.
I'm curious as to why you didn't get an order number and VIN from SOA and even need the dealer to provide you with updates.
I'm glad to hear your order went smoothly! I only wish mine did too lol. And yea I never once recieved an email about my order I always had to call/email and ask. I think because I'm 22, I'm not taken as seriously as an older buyer, but idk

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out for you. Definitely keep us posted on the progress you make.

My Impreza was also my first Subaru purchase. I enjoy the car and like the brand. I think you'll feel the same as well as soon as you take ownership. Don't let this isolated experience sway your feelings.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:
I just got back from the dealer. I spoke with one of the sales managers. From the get go I knew this guy wouldn't fess up. All he did was say he doesn't know why it's taking so long. He doesn't get information from SOA, He doesn't have the order date on file etc. Excuses.
I asked for the deposit back because I just didn't want to deal with the excuses and lack of an apology for the lack of communication because I always initiated the conversations, not them.
Bottom line I got my $500 back and will look elsewhere for what I ordered. The guy didn't even question/argue me on a refund of the deposit. My guess is because he knows I am right. I'm also going to file a complain to SOA. Do I just call their CS line for that? Or is there a complaint dept.?

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Wow, I can't believe he just let you walk right out the door with your money back without even a fight. I guess they do pretty well and will sell the car regardless. At least you got your money back. Hopefully you also have all the pricing (sales and trade in) in writing for reference at the next Subaru dealer.

I'm not sure if SOA has a specific complaints department. For my infotainment complaint I just called them directly and spoke with a CS rep. You can probably start there and they'll direct you.

I think you mentioned this is going to be first Subaru purchase? Definitely mention that when talking with SOA. They might be able to help you out with a deal, accessories and etc. Hopefully they also point you in the right direction of a reputable dealer too. SOA seems to go the extra mile for first time Subaru owners.

Sounds like you did a great job handling this. You'll get the car you want soon enough.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Update:
I just got back from the dealer. I spoke with one of the sales managers. From the get go I knew this guy wouldn't fess up. All he did was say he doesn't know why it's taking so long. He doesn't get information from SOA, He doesn't have the order date on file etc. Excuses.
I asked for the deposit back because I just didn't want to deal with the excuses and lack of an apology for the lack of communication because I always initiated the conversations, not them.
Bottom line I got my $500 back and will look elsewhere for what I ordered. The guy didn't even question/argue me on a refund of the deposit. My guess is because he knows I am right. I'm also going to file a complain to SOA. Do I just call their CS line for that? Or is there a complaint dept.?
That is ridiculous. Do you mind sharing the name & location of this dealer? I really hope you don't give up on getting the Impreza. It really is an amazing car. Hopefully the next dealer you go to will treat you with more respect & provide regular updates on the status of delivery.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is ridiculous. Do you mind sharing the name & location of this dealer? I really hope you don't give up on getting the Impreza. It really is an amazing car. Hopefully the next dealer you go to will treat you with more respect & provide regular updates on the status of delivery.
I'm not giving up. I've already started searching other lots for a grey 5dr sport haha. I don't think I'll do another factory order, mainly because my current car most likely won't last that long

Wow, I can't believe he just let you walk right out the door with your money back without even a fight. I guess they do pretty well and will sell the car regardless. At least you got your money back. Hopefully you also have all the pricing (sales and trade in) in writing for reference at the next Subaru dealer.

I'm not sure if SOA has a specific complaints department. For my infotainment complaint I just called them directly and spoke with a CS rep. You can probably start there and they'll direct you.

I think you mentioned this is going to be first Subaru purchase? Definitely mention that when talking with SOA. They might be able to help you out with a deal, accessories and etc. Hopefully they also point you in the right direction of a reputable dealer too. SOA seems to go the extra mile for first time Subaru owners.

Sounds like you did a great job handling this. You'll get the car you want soon enough.
Yea, bc he didn't put up a fight i had this feeling he knew that I found out and he couldn't change it. He ended up calling me to apologize and offer to discount the car more when it comes in. But the damage was done, he could have done both of those things when I asked why the order date did not match and he couldn't provide an answer.

Okay so I'll just call the CS and maybe see if I can talk to the rep who has been helping me via email since he already knows I have been asking about it.

Not only is it my first Subaru purchase, its my first car purchase. So a very disappointing first experience and now I see why my dad hates dealers lol. When I find a car with a good deal I'll be sure to post it on this forum!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts