5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Type: Safety | Service Campaign and Recall: WTN74 | NHTSA Campaign: AWA-ITING#
Rear View Camera Image Failure

Just so you all know, I just checked mysubaru.com on my 2017 Impreza Sport and there is already a recall/service campaign.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's more, from another web forum:

(I have the clock problem described below on my 2017 Impreza Premium hatchback)

Here's the text from the bulletin WTN-74:

"Although the main purpose for this campaign is to address operational concerns involving the rear view camera feature, software is also included in this update for the following other conditions:

1) After switching the vehicle (ACC or IGN) on, the display screen goes black with no audio output and the hard key buttons are illuminated (on solid, or ashing / blinking).

2) Time of day displayed in the MFD (Multi-Function Display) is incorrect and the arrival time displayed in Navigation units is also incorrect.

3) The time in the MFD automatically reverts back to a “default” setting, even after setting the time using “Manual” mode.

4) Audio volume goes to maximum automatically after one click of the volume up button on the steering wheel. In some cases, this condition may also occur without input from the operator. Maximum volume is also displayed on the screen."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got this done on my 17 Impreza 2.0. Screen would occasionally freeze when I was in reverse and would then be unable to control the radio after it happened. The dealership took care of it in 15 minutes and I haven't had any issues since. Not happy it happened. I brought a new car to avoid problems and I had the problem the 2nd day I had the car. Hope its not a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is definitely annoying - but I'm more forgiving of software issues if the company actually supports the vehicle during its lifetime and continues to make updates. The 8" Starlink system, at least, seems to have the ability to be updated over WiFi. I'm not sure why they didn't do that with this update - it would have certainly been way more convenient.

I'd be even happier with Subaru if they released some software updates that address:
* Radio always turning on at startup
* Radio turning on when engine is turned off (from USB/Android-Auto)
* Farting/static noise when going into reverse
* USB Music taking forever to start playing after starting the car
* Not always displaying NYC's weather info

And I'd be even especially happier if I could do the update from the comfort of my own home!

The whole reason I wanted Android Auto was because car companies simply can't keep up with technology and don't seem to offer any sort of long-term support or upgrades. All I want the Infotainment system to do is offer a clean interface to Android Auto without playing the radio so that I can let Google provide the services. Somehow, Subaru/Harman Kardon screwed even that experience up. I kind of want to test drive a 2017 Golf again to see if VW got all of these things right.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Over the air updates will take money away from dealerships, service charge, so that won't happen for a long time to come. Which is unfortunate.

I wish all manufacturers just went with Android Auto and Carplay so they won't have so many problems with navigation and such, but they want to come out with their own systems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Over the air updates will take money away from dealerships, service charge, so that won't happen for a long time to come. Which is unfortunate.

I wish all manufacturers just went with Android Auto and Carplay so they won't have so many problems with navigation and such, but they want to come out with their own systems.
Ah, that's a good point about dealers, and really annoying. Another thing I considered is that because this is a safety recall, they may want people to bring it in so that they can audit/verify that it was actually done on a vehicle. I mean, a proper OTA system should be able to report back that it has been updated along with the VIN number, but that would take foresight.

And, yes, even though the Impreza does have Android Auto & Carplay, which is great, they still managed to screw up the basic before/after entering Android Auto mode experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had 2 "Re-Flashes" at the dealer, and am still having "interesting" issues....the software just seems "unstable". The car's safety features seem stable, but the audio issues are REALLY annoying for a car I've only been driving for 2 weeks. I have not experienced the same issues as previous posts, but different ones that collectively prove that this system is POOR. I can't recommend this car to friends/family. That's really unfortunate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
@vermontcooper, Have you written Subaru corporate yet with your complaints? I basically told them exactly what you said - the radio is enough to prevent me from recommending the car to somebody, and is also the first/last thing that a passenger experiences.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've had 2 "Re-Flashes" at the dealer, and am still having "interesting" issues....the software just seems "unstable". The car's safety features seem stable, but the audio issues are REALLY annoying for a car I've only been driving for 2 weeks. I have not experienced the same issues as previous posts, but different ones that collectively prove that this system is POOR. I can't recommend this car to friends/family. That's really unfortunate.
Sorry to hear your having these issues still but keep bringing it back to the dealer until the issues are resolved. I know it sucks it's a new car you shouldn't have to but also contact corporate & highlight the issue to them too so they are aware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts