5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any short throw shifters that will work on the 17+ Impreza? I have the sport, but the throw still seems long to me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check with Kartboy, They are usually on top of their game for 5 speed shifters. I wanna say one from a 13-14 wrx may fit but you're better off asking Kartboy. I've always heard the SPT short throw plus a Kart boy was great feeling and had like a 45% decrease in throw. (may be over exaggerating)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check with Kartboy, They are usually on top of their game for 5 speed shifters. I wanna say one from a 13-14 wrx may fit but you're better off asking Kartboy. I've always heard the SPT short throw plus a Kart boy was great feeling and had like a 45% decrease in throw. (may be over exaggerating)
Thank you, I'll contact them later.

·
Registered
918 Posts
All of the 2017 and 2018 sport trim with manual trans have come equipped standard with the short throw shifter.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of the 2017 and 2018 sport trim with manual trans have come equipped standard with the short throw shifter.
I know Subaru calls this “short throw”, but I disagree. I’ve had aftermarket short throw shifters in other cars and this isn’t even close

·
Registered
59 Posts
Even with the "long" throw of the base's shifter, I can still rest my forearm on the arm rest and shift from 1-4 without sliding my arm (all wrist)... Syncros are out of sight out of mind until they break down... Is the goal less travel or a quicker shift?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is the goal less travel or a quicker shift?
Racecar... duh.. No some people like the way an actual short shifter feels. To feel that solid click into the gear. I have a 17 sport and it came with the SPT short throw in it from factory. ( all sport 5 speeds do ) It's just still very loose for some people. I don't mind it. I just prefer the sort of notch feel into the gear. This sounds bad as I'm reading this and typing. I don't like the loose free play I like to know I'm in gear. Not grinding. (does anyone catch my drift?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm all for the "race car" mentality, just too much effort for me to gain (or loose rather) maybe an inch and a half of travel from a 4 to 5 inch throw. The gates between 2/4 and 3/5 already feel pretty close laterally, after shifting an old volvo for roughly a decade my perspective is likely skewed.

I agree the shifter play while in gear is a little odd, but certainly much less than being in neutral. I sat in a new civic R at a car show and the throw felt too video-game esque to me while it was very short... I guess I'm old fashioned and prefer a little room for error... but executing a quick shift only to wait for hanging revs seems silly to me.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I installed the new shifter. and the shifts are much better. Before and after pics below. First 2 are before, last one is after

Attachments

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,340 Posts
I installed a Kartboy SS and Knob in my Impreza Sport today. The Sport already has the OEM short shifter but this puts the knob a lot lower. When I get a chance to edit all my photos I will post a link to the install. It's at a comfortable height for me now, I'm liking it a lot. The install was pretty simple. Mostly just unscrew the shift knob, pull the console out, remove the rubber boot / padding around the shifter, unbolt the shifter from the fork, remove snap ring to pull out the shifter. Swap over the lower basket and pivot bushing. Reinstall everything.

·
ModFather
1,340 Posts
Since ScoobyMods is pretty much borked now and I can't upload pics, I have to resort to my google account. Here is my first go at some install pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/tBMCV8kQDeFUq6V96 feel free to ask questions.

·
ModFather
1,340 Posts
I forgot to get a pic of the stock height of the shifter with the stock shift knob. If possible can someone get one for me I can use? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts