5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if it's been asked before, I haven't found confirmation on this topic. Curious to see if 16" or 17" rims fit on the Canadian Sport model which have the 18's? Looking to purchase winter rims & tires.

thx in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone found an answer on whether a 16" wheel will fit on a 2017 Impreza Sport (stock 18" wheels)? I have been scouring the internet (and this forum) for an hour and haven't found anything definitive. I just ordered a set of mounted tires on 16" wheels from tirerack and now I'm thinking I should cancel them until I find an answer!

·
Registered
858 Posts
The base model comes with 16" wheels. Not sure if the brakes on the sport model are significantly larger or not, although I think they are a little bigger.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Has anyone found an answer on whether a 16" wheel will fit on a 2017 Impreza Sport (stock 18" wheels)? I have been scouring the internet (and this forum) for an hour and haven't found anything definitive. I just ordered a set of mounted tires on 16" wheels from tirerack and now I'm thinking I should cancel them until I find an answer!
I was looking at winter tires and wheels on tire rack also. 16 and 17 not sure yet but you put your model in and they show you the available options for our model I think that it?s on them if they don?t fit. They charge a crap load for shipping so if they don?t I would think they would be responsible for return cost as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry if it's been asked before, I haven't found confirmation on this topic. Curious to see if 16" or 17" rims fit on the Canadian Sport model which have the 18's? Looking to purchase winter rims & tires.

thx in advance!
Would 15" rims fit??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I called and spoke to Roger at Tire Rack yesterday about the situation and he confirms that if you use the "this is my car" selection for year, make, model, and trim that the selections Tire Rack says will work are guaranteed to work.

Tire Rack even offered 15" wheels for the Sport trim, but I opted for 16's. I went forward with the order and they should be here this upcoming week. I'll keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The base model comes with 16" wheels. Not sure if the brakes on the sport model are significantly larger or not, although I think they are a little bigger.
sport rotor size is 11.6" in diameter compared to every other models 10.9" up front but the rears are all the same at 10.8". i think 16s should fit, just double check with the clearance of wheel you're getting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does a smaller size wheel 16" vs 18" interfere with the speed reading of the speedometer or no?
ive been told this on my Jeep when i upped the tire size to one significantly larger than stock, but i did some field testing with my phone, and the GPS reading read the same as the speedo. i want to believe that cars made past 2000 are intelligent enough to read wheel speed and translate that onto the speedo, as my 2001 330ci has wheel speed sensors that have "gone" bad, but still reads properly. :frown2:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just need to have the right tire height to keep it accurate. Several online calculator tools are available. I think wheel-size.com and either Tire Rack or Discount Tire have them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just need to have the right tire height to keep it accurate. Several online calculator tools are available. I think wheel-size.com and either Tire Rack or Discount Tire have them.
i went from a 70 sidewall on my jeep to a 32' tire on the stock wheel and the speedometer was reading out the same as any GPS readouts. i think new cars are built to read actual wheel speed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You just have to match the revolutions per mile spec of the stock tire to replacement tire for the speedo to stay "accurate". It's how the online calculators work to determine how much you'll be off by with a change in overall height of the rim/tire combo. Tire Rack takes this into account when they tell you what works for your car in wheel/tire sizes that are not stock (the will it fit feature).

Logically speaking, even if the speedometer is fully electronic, sensors can only detect 1 full revolution and then calculate speed. There's no way for a sensor to know distance traveled during that one revolution. The vast majority of speedo's are cable driven, however.

Reactions: pprknight

·
Registered
157 Posts
Actually, I think you will find the "speed sensor" is housed in the car's transmission - at least that's the way I've actually seen the older "analog" cable connections under a car. I know it's not using the Impreza TPMS as I was avoiding having those reprogrammed last winter and I still had speedometer readings.

My luck with recent cars and using a winter tire changeover is to see a minor 1 mph or 2 mph speedometer indicated difference at around 60 mph between the two tire sets and my Garmin GPS. Trying to keep the over-all outside tire diameter the same is the key for an accurate speed reading. Use the online calculators or trust the tire sales site/person.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually, I think you will find the "speed sensor" is housed in the car's transmission - at least that's the way I've actually seen the older "analog" cable connections under a car. I know it's not using the Impreza TPMS as I was avoiding having those reprogrammed last winter and I still had speedometer readings.

My luck with recent cars and using a winter tire changeover is to see a minor 1 mph or 2 mph speedometer indicated difference at around 60 mph between the two tire sets and my Garmin GPS. Trying to keep the over-all outside tire diameter the same is the key for an accurate speed reading. Use the online calculators or trust the tire sales site/person.
well thats curious. my BMWs speed sensor is actually on the dust shield on all four rotors. maybe my logic is wrong and its different from car to car cause i know BMW does some strange things...

·
Registered
196 Posts
well thats curious. my BMWs speed sensor is actually on the dust shield on all four rotors. maybe my logic is wrong and its different from car to car cause i know BMW does some strange things...
Those are ABS speed sensors. They keep track of rate of revolution (again - no concept of distance just revolution) which the computer compares wheel to wheel to determine when it needs to activate the ABS system and/or traction/stability control.

Edit - Keeping track is really not the way to describe it. The sensor senses magnetism on the wheel hub and sends voltage pulses to the ECU. If the pulses stop from one wheel, it's locked up or your car is no longer tracking straight. I hope that made more sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back to the topic of wheel fitment, I received the 16's yesterday and test mounted one this morning.

Verdict: the 16" wheels I got from Tire Rack (16X7.5 SPORT EDITION P3 ANTHRACITE) fit on the fronts, but with a mere 4.5mm clearance between the caliper and the part of the wheel where the weights are applied.

Despite Tire Rack insisting that even 15's would have worked--no way.

Quick pics (don't mind the sticker - it was purely a test fit). The wheels won't be mounted for a couple more months and the dealer needs to register/sync the TPMS units.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 96 Posts