5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a brand new owner of an Impreza Sport and during my initial setup I turned "Automatic Software Update" on. I added the system to my wifi router when the car is in the garage, no problems. But, I keep getting a "Software Update Failed. Retry?" message. I read on one post that Subaru has not implemented the software update feature via wifi, and you have to use the USB port and a memory stick. Two questions:

a) Is this true? If so, is that a dealer update or should it be attempted by the owner?

b) Where do you go to find out if your system even needs an update??

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Personally I would have the dealer do any updates that way if there is a problem they can't blame you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I would have the dealer do any updates that way if there is a problem they can't blame you.
Is there a way to interrogate the system to find out if a software update is even needed, or do you recommend that I let the dealer handle that as well?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was told by the dealer that at this time the wifi does not work for updates and this is something they will have in the future. You can do it yourself with a usb but I would take it to the dealer. They will do the update for free. You can check yourself what software you have. I don't have the number with me but the version should start with 2. You can find the that number in another thread or I give it to you later. My dealer did the update for me when I changed the oil at 3,000. Some one else may have another way of doing it but I would take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The software update feature DOES work and I have witnessed it personally. Every time my car enters the driveway or starts in the driveway, it automatically connects with my WiFi...checks for an update and then displays the message that there are no updates currently available because it is already updated. I was told that the WiFi connection has to be very strong and I installed a WiFi extender inside my garage and have had zero issues to date.

Current Version ID should be Rel2.17.22.20 - the same for all three levels of head unit. You can find this in the settings of your radio. This update must be done via USB stick. You can do it yourself or have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Rel2.17.22.20 looks like the update that fixed the rear camera issues and start-up screen freeze.

Full details on the USB update process are here. Of course, if you are under warranty, best to have your dealer do it!

Reactions: securityguy

·
Registered
68 Posts
The software update feature DOES work and I have witnessed it personally. Every time my car enters the driveway or starts in the driveway, it automatically connects with my WiFi...checks for an update and then displays the message that there are no updates currently available because it is already updated. I was told that the WiFi connection has to be very strong and I installed a WiFi extender inside my garage and have had zero issues to date.

Current Version ID should be Rel2.17.22.20 - the same for all three levels of head unit. You can find this in the settings of your radio. This update must be done via USB stick. You can do it yourself or have the dealer do it.
Yes you can connect with the wifi but it does not do updates. Mine showed that it was up to date before I had the update done at the dealer. If it was working properly you would not need to do the update by USB stick. Someday you will be able to do these update in your own driveway via the wifi.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rel2.17.22.20 looks like the update that fixed the rear camera issues and start-up screen freeze.

Full details on the USB update process are here. Of course, if you are under warranty, best to have your dealer do it!
This release seems to fix a lot of problems. Hard to believe they are still delivering cars with the old software. They should do it automatically without people having to ask. I read about the problem before I took delivery at the first of July. I asked the dealer to make sure it was up to date and they advised it was. It was not. After the update a few weeks ago I have not had any problems. I think they are trying to do to many things with our electronics but what do I know I'm still playing my vinyl.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I asked a person at Subaru and it is looking for an update for one of the apps. It is not looking for updates to the actual cars software according to Subaru, just apps on the Subaru. I honestly just turned off the wifi connectivity so I don't get the message every time I turn it on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts