5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 36 square feet each of Noico 80 mil butyl and 150 mil Noico Red closed cell foam on the way. I bought the roller too.

I plan to start with the front doors, then rear doors, then hatchback area, then floor, then roof.

I know all of this will require more material. This is just my starting point. I will Probably even add MLV later.

Any advice from anyone that has done this before?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Sport hatchback manual - Baltimore, MD
49 Posts
I've seen on this forum someone focusing on the spare tire well first and reported it made a significant difference.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have not done it... but have been considering adding some measure of sound-deadening to my Imp.

You ask for advice - I will be doing the rear-hatch area first and evaluate the improvement BEFORE diving into the doors , under the seats, or other hard-to-do areas.

Also, my goal will be to reduce 'road noise' caused by the tires. Hence, I will be focusing on wheelwell areas which enter the cabin.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Last summer I did the front doors and the spare tire well with one layer of kill mat 80 mil. The last week or so I've been back at it and have done the rear doors and just finished the roof yesterday. This time I went Overkill, one layer of kill mat Plus one layer of 300 ml foam from Noico topped off with another layer of kilmat. Making a sandwich that in theory should give me all of the standard benefits of sound deadening plus insulation. Banging my fist on a door sounds like pounding against a brick wall. Has definitely helped cut down some of the wind noise and more importantly has helped my sound system. next step is to go back to the front doors and add the two extra layers like I did in the rear. After that the last section to do is the floor. The only way that I found to remove the headliner without damaging it or bending it was to remove the passenger seat to be able to rotate it enough. If you do attempt this project you will be incredibly fluent in sailor talk by the end. They say that postal workers are disgruntled. I would argue that it's the people that work in the clips and fasteners department at auto companies. Now those people are pure evil.
20210308_140824.jpg
20210308_152831.jpg
20210308_104352.jpg
20210308_104259.jpg
20210306_105836.jpg
I forgot to mention that on the doors the triple layer sandwich is on the inside of the door skin and then I topped it off with one more layer on the inside portion since I removed the plastic that supposedly helps against moisture. I guess technically it's four layers per door.
20210308_104310.jpg
20210308_105118.jpg
The passenger seat on the roof look is a new trend I'm starting
20210308_174732.jpg
20210308_104844.jpg
A snack!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Last summer I did the front doors and the spare tire well with one layer of kill mat 80 mil. The last week or so I've been back at it and have done the rear doors and just finished the roof yesterday. This time I went Overkill, one layer of kill mat Plus one layer of 300 ml foam from Noico topped off with another layer of kilmat. Making a sandwich that in theory should give me all of the standard benefits of sound deadening plus insulation. Banging my fist on a door sounds like pounding against a brick wall. Has definitely helped cut down some of the wind noise and more importantly has helped my sound system. next step is to go back to the front doors and add the two extra layers like I did in the rear. After that the last section to do is the floor. The only way that I found to remove the headliner without damaging it or bending it was to remove the passenger seat to be able to rotate it enough. If you do attempt this project you will be incredibly fluent in sailor talk by the end. They say that postal workers are disgruntled. I would argue that it's the people that work in the clips and fasteners department at auto companies. Now those people are pure evil.
View attachment 25176 View attachment 25177 View attachment 25178 View attachment 25180 View attachment 25181 I forgot to mention that on the doors the triple layer sandwich is on the inside of the door skin and then I topped it off with one more layer on the inside portion since I removed the plastic that supposedly helps against moisture. I guess technically it's four layers per door. View attachment 25182 View attachment 25184 The passenger seat on the roof look is a new trend I'm starting View attachment 25185 View attachment 25186 A snack!
Thanks for all the photos! Those really help. I'm curious about that spiky black foam on the top side of the headliner. Is it acoustic foam or what? Also, was the 300 mil Noico foam too think in any spots? I got the 150 mil noico foam because I was worried about thickness. Should I order some 300 mil?

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
249 Posts
I did a kilmat install. I did it in 3 stages:
  1. Trunk area
  2. Doors
  3. Floor
You will notice that my door install was done inside the door cavity, not on the outside. I also got some speaker foams from aliexpress and lined those up (see pics)

Doors took elbow grease, but the floor was annoying to get all the stuff off. I might do the ceiling at some point, but that won't be with kilmat. I want to make sure whatever I put up there will never fall off.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did a kilmat install. I did it in 3 stages:
  1. Trunk area
  2. Doors
  3. Floor
You will notice that my door install was done inside the door cavity, not on the outside. I also got some speaker foams from aliexpress and lined those up (see pics)

Doors took elbow grease, but the floor was annoying to get all the stuff off. I might do the ceiling at some point, but that won't be with kilmat. I want to make sure whatever I put up there will never fall off.

View attachment 25202 View attachment 25203 View attachment 25204 View attachment 25205 View attachment 25206 View attachment 25207 View attachment 25208 View attachment 25209 View attachment 25210 View attachment 25211
I did the same with the doors, the inside of the outer door skin just like your pictures, but since I got rid of the plastic covering I ended up doing an extra layer of kilmat on the innermost part. I figure this might also help create more of an enclosed space for speaker performance. To cut down on as much vibration as possible I also lined as many sections I could of the inside of the door card. I had the extra kill mat so I figured why not.
Initially I was also worried about long-term adhesion on the ceiling, but I made sure to use a metal ridged roller and plenty of heat from a heat gun to soften the butyl and promote as much adhesion as possible. The adhesive on the foam is very aggressive, if you try to pull the foam off it will rip from the adhesive before the adhesive itself gives so I'm not worried about that falling off anytime soon. I was a little hesitant on doing the final layer of Matt to finish the sandwich but again I added plenty of heat and it really doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. Only time will tell but after completing the job I'm pretty confident that it will stand the test of time. If any failure happens I'll be sure to report it.
Next up is the floor. Looks like you did a fantastic and thorough job. Has there been a noticeable difference in road noise?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for all the photos! Those really help. I'm curious about that spiky black foam on the top side of the headliner. Is it acoustic foam or what? Also, was the 300 mil Noico foam too think in any spots? I got the 150 mil noico foam because I was worried about thickness. Should I order some 300 mil?

Those spiky pieces are actually not foam they are plastic to space the gap between the headliner and the ceiling. Initially I was also worried about the thickness of the foam Plus the mat, but it ended up working out perfectly and I had no issues putting the whole thing back together. There was so much air gap between the headliner and ceiling from factory anyway.
Personally I'm all for adding as many layers as you can wherever you can. I have not had any issues with the thickness of the 300 mil on the ceiling, and that is including two layers of the mat. I had no issues on the doors either

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
249 Posts
Next up is the floor. Looks like you did a fantastic and thorough job. Has there been a noticeable difference in road noise?
I've had no issue with road noise, so it definitely did the job. I know I had complaints about it earlier. The real test will be next time I drive to Tahoe, there's a road around Sacramento that is very rough and noisy (not sure which one). That's the road that really inspired me to do this. BTW, I ran a second layer and covered all all the sides after taking that photo.

Question for you, what instruction did you reference for removing the headliner? I have eyesight on mine and am apprehensive about messing with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's input an pics. I took the advice to start with the trunk. I got everything out the back with minimal expletives. Got most of the butyl down. I will add some extra little bits tomorrow.

Here are some progress pics. Nothing finished yet. Let me know what y'all think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After two days of labor this has definitely made a difference. The reduction in noise is not very noticeable at first. It did seem a bit quieter from a road noise standpoint. After an hour of commuting today on 50/50 highway/city streets I did notice the stock stereo system sounded much improved. I also noticed, while listening to the talk/news radio station I enjoy, that I was listening at a lower volume(4 numbers lower on the volume knob).

Next, I will tackle the front doors. I feel like just adding butyl rubber to the 4 doors will make a huge difference from here. Maybe I will buy some new speakers with my stimulus money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the front passenger door today. I'll do the driver side Tuesday. I have a 30 minute each way commute tomorrow with some highway time. I'll see what the left-right difference is.

I got really good coverage on the outer door skin with butyl and 300 mil foam. I used 150 mil foam over the supports to make a good seal. I sealed up the inner door skin with 150 mil foam.

·
Registered
42 Posts
View attachment 25176 View attachment 25177 View attachment 25178 View attachment 25180 View attachment 25181 I forgot to mention that on the doors the triple layer sandwich is on the inside of the door skin and then I topped it off with one more layer on the inside portion since I removed the plastic that supposedly helps against moisture. I guess technically it's four layers per door. View attachment 25182 View attachment 25184 The passenger seat on the roof look is a new trend I'm starting View attachment 25185 View attachment 25186 A snack!
Can I know what kind of headunit that you have?!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts