5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The moment i’ve been waiting for since April finally came. I took delivery on my custom ordered 22 Sport 5mt Hatch in Lithium Red last week and it has been amazing!

I’m still doing the break in and getting used to the car, but my here are my first impressions…

I would say that it exceeded my expectations initially. Judging by what I could gather from reviews and other takes on the forums, I was expecting some compromises in quality, like the interior. But this car feels PREMIUM. I mean it is my first new car, but I test drove others and this felt solid with the interior surfaces and seats feeling very high quality.

Also, I knew the ride was nice, but I wasn’t expecting just how comfortable and smooth it is even in the sport. It feels like a spaceship, hugging turns and soaking up road noise. And super quiet through and through.

Another point that people have made is how slow the cars feel. I had an opportunity to drive a used premium with a CVT and now the 22 manual, and neither cars felt slow or sluggish. I haven’t even begun to rev this car out because of the break in, but it feels very quick and agile to me! I will say, i’ve only driven slow cars most of my life, but I do feel like a lot of people out there make a big deal out of the powertrain when it feels very competent and will be hopefully more reliable then one that’s turbo charged.

One other major detail is the sound system. The stock 6 speakers in the sport sound REALLY good. Again, i’ve driven crappy cars my whole life with terrible audio, but my girlfriend has an Ascent with the Harmon Kardon, and I think mine sounds just as good if not better in some ways.

Overall, I am very pleased. There was a point were I was on the fence after ordering, looking at other options. I kept coming back to subaru and I’m glad I did. My advice is if you are on the fence, don’t be. The drive feel and quality of this car made this purchase for me a no brainer. Hopefully Subaru keeps making manuals into the next generation Imprezas, would love to see where they take this platform.

Sky Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Car

I’ve scheduled to get a clear bra and ceramic coat. Don’t have any other mods planned yet other then tinting the windows. Gonna try and keep it new feeling as long as possible! 😁🤞

·
Registered
169 Posts
Honestly, these cars aren't as slow as people say. Car reviewers complain they're too slow off the line, but what car in its class isn't? It's not an STI, Civic SI, or a Camaro - it's just as slow as every other economy sedan/CUV. Whenever I have to merge onto a highway behind an 18-wheeler, I have no problem getting past it.

Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
Honestly, these cars aren't as slow as people say. Car reviewers complain they're too slow off the line, but what car in its class isn't? It's not an STI, Civic SI, or a Camaro - it's just as slow as every other economy sedan/CUV. Whenever I have to merge onto a highway behind an 18-wheeler, I have no problem getting past it.

Congrats on the new ride.
That's something I've learned to ignore about automotive reviews. Of course to someone who has access to high end sports cars, and sport sedans/coupes these are slow. But for the cars of it's size, price point, and older vehicles, it doesn't feel nor drive slowly for on road use. (or even off road use if your off road isn't the drag strip)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Automotive reviews aren't comparing the Impreza to high-end sports cars... they actually use instruments to test and time...

The lowest 0-60 time I could find online is 8.8sec for a Sport 5sp. It's adequate and then some for everyday driving, but 8.8 to 60 is in fact slow, even for this class of car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's something I've learned to ignore about automotive reviews. Of course to someone who has access to high end sports cars, and sport sedans/coupes these are slow. But for the cars of it's size, price point, and older vehicles, it doesn't feel nor drive slowly for on road use. (or even off road use if your off road isn't the drag strip)
I was watching a review of the V6 AWD Dodge Challenger recently (because I know someone with one and he loves it), and the guys spent the whole time complaining that they wished they were in the Hellcat. Like alright man.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats! I agree with others: it's not sluggish. My old car was old so of course this is way better than that, but my new Subie corners much better, rides much smoother, and accelerates much more quickly. The only car I've ever had that was faster was a Saab turbo, and duh, turbo!

I am very pleased with mine. I'm still getting used to the weirdnesses with CVT but I am really happy with my brand new car. Mine is just the base level and I'm very, very happy with it.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
Automotive reviews aren't comparing the Impreza to high-end sports cars... they actually use instruments to test and time...

The lowest 0-60 time I could find online is 8.8sec for a Sport 5sp. It's adequate and then some for everyday driving, but 8.8 to 60 is in fact slow, even for this class of car.
Generally speaking, most reviews do have some metric by which they showcase the acceleration of a car, and I don't disagree with you, the Subaru is slow, but it feels faster than it is - see the Miata, another slow vehicle that performs well, and 'feels' faster than it actually is - by design. My Isuzu has a similar, though if not slower 0-60 time, and it feels much slower than the Subaru. However, what 'feels' slow to different people differs on their measure of 'fast'. Unless you're drag racing your Impreza, I'd argue that the Butt-Dyno is a metric by which most people would feel satisfied/dissatisfied with a vehicle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The moment i’ve been waiting for since April finally came. I took delivery on my custom ordered 22 Sport 5mt Hatch in Lithium Red last week and it has been amazing!

I’m still doing the break in and getting used to the car, but my here are my first impressions…

I would say that it exceeded my expectations initially. Judging by what I could gather from reviews and other takes on the forums, I was expecting some compromises in quality, like the interior. But this car feels PREMIUM. I mean it is my first new car, but I test drove others and this felt solid with the interior surfaces and seats feeling very high quality.

Also, I knew the ride was nice, but I wasn’t expecting just how comfortable and smooth it is even in the sport. It feels like a spaceship, hugging turns and soaking up road noise. And super quiet through and through.

Another point that people have made is how slow the cars feel. I had an opportunity to drive a used premium with a CVT and now the 22 manual, and neither cars felt slow or sluggish. I haven’t even begun to rev this car out because of the break in, but it feels very quick and agile to me! I will say, i’ve only driven slow cars most of my life, but I do feel like a lot of people out there make a big deal out of the powertrain when it feels very competent and will be hopefully more reliable then one that’s turbo charged.

One other major detail is the sound system. The stock 6 speakers in the sport sound REALLY good. Again, i’ve driven crappy cars my whole life with terrible audio, but my girlfriend has an Ascent with the Harmon Kardon, and I think mine sounds just as good if not better in some ways.

Overall, I am very pleased. There was a point were I was on the fence after ordering, looking at other options. I kept coming back to subaru and I’m glad I did. My advice is if you are on the fence, don’t be. The drive feel and quality of this car made this purchase for me a no brainer. Hopefully Subaru keeps making manuals into the next generation Imprezas, would love to see where they take this platform.

View attachment 28227

I’ve scheduled to get a clear bra and ceramic coat. Don’t have any other mods planned yet other then tinting the windows. Gonna try and keep it new feeling as long as possible! 😁🤞
Huge congrats on getting your new Impreza! Even though I bought my 2020 Impreza sport hatch w/ manual certified pre owned, my impression with the car was the same as yours. Also only rode old, slow, tired cars all my life, the Impreza was just the car for me when I was looking for something new and reliable.

Your Impreza is pretty much the twin to mine also, minus the roof rack and it being 2022 MY.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Impreza Sport 5-Door
1 Posts
Congrats, looks great! I just put a deposit on an incoming 2022 Impreza Sport arriving in a couple of weeks. I would have loved a manual, but settled for my favorite color instead (Ocean Blue). My daughter has an Impreza base hatch with the CVT, and it is pretty enjoyable to drive, so looking forward to my own.

·
Registered
70 Posts

View attachment 28227

I am so excited with you ! What a great choice you have made :) love the drive !!!!

Small point - ofcourse it is expensive I am going to say right out of the door ….. but if you can do paint protection film on the whole hood and front side fenders - humbly I say that is the most important place I think / drove 20 000 in last 7 months …. I wish I had and didn’t and now I have a really bad rock dent chip - I touched it up but well it would have never probably been an issue in first place. My money that I don’t have is on paint protection vs amazing coatings …..

Enjoy / drive safe / here is to many many many happy years to come with Subaru :)

Road surface Asphalt Grey Pattern Concrete

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats, looks great! I just put a deposit on an incoming 2022 Impreza Sport arriving in a couple of weeks. I would have loved a manual, but settled for my favorite color instead (Ocean Blue). My daughter has an Impreza base hatch with the CVT, and it is pretty enjoyable to drive, so looking forward to my own.
I love that color, but personally I didn't order it because I believed it wouldn't match or look good with the red interior... Didn't you think about that?

·
Registered
24 Posts

View attachment 28227

Congrats!!! How much did they quote for the clear bra and ceramic?

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
I love that color, but personally I didn't order it because I believed it wouldn't match or look good with the red interior... Didn't you think about that?
I too was questioning the color choice and ultimately chose red because I think the red suits the Sport trim more, and reminds me of my family's first Miata.

I was actually very close to buying the Ocean Blue sport, and think that the interior accents wouldn't have conflicted too much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My
I too was questioning the color choice and ultimately chose red because I think the red suits the Sport trim more, and reminds me of my family's first Miata.

I was actually very close to buying the Ocean Blue sport, and think that the interior accents wouldn't have conflicted too much.
My favorite colors are red and the two kind of blue!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am so excited with you ! What a great choice you have made :) love the drive !!!!

Small point - ofcourse it is expensive I am going to say right out of the door ….. but if you can do paint protection film on the whole hood and front side fenders - humbly I say that is the most important place I think / drove 20 000 in last 7 months …. I wish I had and didn’t and now I have a really bad rock dent chip - I touched it up but well it would have never probably been an issue in first place. My money that I don’t have is on paint protection vs amazing coatings …..

Enjoy / drive safe / here is to many many many happy years to come with Subaru :)

View attachment 28255
Yeah, I was thinking of just going with the standard at first but seeing this i might pay the extra $350 and get the whole hood protected. Its like $1700 altogether including ceramic, but in the long run I think i’ll be glad I did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks! It was $850 for just standard clear bra, and $500 for ceramic 3 yr coat. Best prices I could find around here, and the place still has stellar reviews.
I'm surprised your dealer didn't offer Simoniz Glasscoat. Mine did and the warranty on it is amazing. It's also a ceramic coating and it includes a protective coating for the interior surfaces as well. It has a lifetime warranty and is transferable if I sell my car. They'll clean up and repair damage inside and out.

I have a mulberry tree in my yard and a bird dropped a big splotch of purple bird crap on the nice white hood of my car, so I washed my new car even though it didn't need it. I was amazed at how much the water beaded up. I guess it's been a long time since I had a new car with a nice finish, but this Glasscoat makes the paint look STUNNiNG. I thought it would be a flat white (even though it said "crystal white pearl"), and in the sun, if you look closely, you can see prisms of other colors in there. It's really stunning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm surprised your dealer didn't offer Simoniz Glasscoat. Mine did and the warranty on it is amazing. It's also a ceramic coating and it includes a protective coating for the interior surfaces as well. It has a lifetime warranty and is transferable if I sell my car. They'll clean up and repair damage inside and out.

I have a mulberry tree in my yard and a bird dropped a big splotch of purple bird crap on the nice white hood of my car, so I washed my new car even though it didn't need it. I was amazed at how much the water beaded up. I guess it's been a long time since I had a new car with a nice finish, but this Glasscoat makes the paint look STUNNiNG. I thought it would be a flat white (even though it said "crystal white pearl"), and in the sun, if you look closely, you can see prisms of other colors in there. It's really stunning.
How much did they charge for it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts