5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Impreza 2019
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Proud owner of 2019 Subaru Impreza but had a very sad accident. I like to keep my car interior very clean, so this one hurts. Today I spilled a cup of chicken soup on the center console (cup was hot and I dropped it). The soup went all over the center console/shifter/e-brake and down the sides and a little on the seats (leather). I got all the debris out and then wiped everything clean with rags using warm water and dish soap. I also used the upholstery vacuum attachment on the felt fabric that is on the side of the console leading down to the mats. Still smells like soup even though I don't see any evidence of soup anymore.

A few questions for the wisdom of the group:
1) I'm worried some soup went underneath the shifter plate area (photo below). There seems to be a pretty decently sized gap there in the plastic and the soup spilled in that area. Do I need to remove the center console and get in there? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do that? Didn't find much looking at the manual.
2) How screwed am I with regards to smell? Did I just mess up my car for good?? :oops:

Thanks all for your wisdom!
White Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Personal luxury car

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,545 Posts
Liquid most likely went in between the gaps in the plastic. If it were me I'd remove the console and try to clean under there. I'm not sure how the shift knob comes off, I have a manual and it simply screws off. Maybe someone can chime in on how to do that but I have a 2019 and installed a short shifter. I had to remove the console to do that so maybe this will help

Kartboy Short Shifter and Knob on 2019 Impreza Sport

Use a carpet cleaner or that spray foam carpet cleaner on the carpet and simple green on the plastic bits.

·
Registered
Subaru Impreza 2019
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much peaty for your advice. I will look into removing the center console tomorrow after work. Any specific recommendations for carpet cleaner brands to clean the felt with?

Anything you'd recommend for the leather seats? Not much got on the seats--I just used rags with warm water and dish soap.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,545 Posts
I have two steam cleaners from Bissell I use this small one a lot

Little Green Machine

That one gets heavy use, I have a number of pets and it really does a good job cleaning up messes. When the kids were at home it was a must.

I also have this one for when I really have to do heavy cleaning. The hose wand attachment is great for doing door cards and carpets.

Big Green Machine

Not cheap but does a fantastic job, mine is about 10 years old and going strong. Still if you only need something like this a few times you can rent similar ones. I usually only drag it out when I need to do a major cleaning.

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
153 Posts
Removing center console for the CVT can be found on page 7 & 8 in this manual - it's specific for installing a cigarette lighter, but either case should show you how to remove it, what the procedure for the gear select lever removal is, and where the clips can be found.

Center Console Removal (Cigarette lighter)

The link is from the following forum post:
Removing radio and center console

·
Registered
Subaru Impreza 2019
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huge thanks to both of you, peaty and MagikAram. Really appreciate you taking the time to offer me advice. Hoping the smell fades with time. I will try my hand at removing the center console and cleaning in there today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts