5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is a place where we can all add what we learn about the Sport model. First, the typical press release info...

Subaru Press Release said:
New Impreza Sport with Active Torque Vectoring

Taking full advantage of the new stiffer platform and more powerful engine, the Impreza 2.0i Sport, now available in the Sedan as well as 5-Door, delivers a more fun-to-drive performance feel thanks to exclusive suspension tuning, 18-inch machine-finish alloy wheels and Active Torque Vectoring. Subaru aimed for a new ride/handling balance benchmark in the compact segment. The Sport also includes a new 4-way Tire Pressure Monitoring System, which is available on other models.

Exclusive exterior styling and features setting the Impreza Sport apart include standard LED daytime running lights (DRL), black-finish front grille, body-color rocker panels and turn signal side mirrors. The Impreza Sport 5-Door features gloss black rear gate trim, while the Sport Sedan has a rear trunk spoiler. Inside the Sport, unique black cloth upholstery is trimmed with red stitching, a motif that repeats for the steering wheel, gear shift, instrument panel and door trim. The instrument panel incorporates exclusive Sport gauges and a Multi-Function Display.

The Sport comes well equipped, with upgrades over the Impreza Premium that include the Subaru STARLINK™8.0-inch touchscreen multimedia system, and a new harman/kardon® premium audio system is available. Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, aluminum pedals, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift handle and a CVT shift boot round out the Sport's enhanced standard equipment.

New Direct Injection for Higher Performance and Efficiency: A revised version of the FB 2.0-liter 4-cylinder Boxer engine gains direct fuel injection and other enhancements to boost both performance (now 152 horsepower vs. 148 before) and drivability.
*Tires are 225/40R18, all season. Which brand/version of tires? The NYAS has Avid 34's, but that does not mean that the production version will have these.

* And as per a post on the 'net from a Subaru employee who just drove one this week:

kevinlubitski said:
I work for Subaru and got to drive the 2017 Impreza yesterday over at SNE. I have a 2015 WRX and actually loved tossing this Impreza around the course. Torque vectoring, stablex suspension, 18's.......all it's missing is a turbo

It's a completely different car than the prev gen and is going to be a big hit for sure."

We were told production on any manny tranny Impreza doesn't start until Feb so all auto until then. We had 7 cars at the facility and they were all 5 dr CVT's. Other good changes I noticed w/ the new car:

8" navi screen, more user friendly
Harmon will provide all head units for this and future Subaru models, Clarion is out...may finally get some decent radio's now lol (although base and premium models don't get a CD player).
Apple carplay/android thingie standard on all models.
Power leather seats are greatly improved over the previous model...looks like something you'd see on a euro luxury car.
Individual TPMS so you can actually see the psi in all tires (finally!).
Storage on the 5dr is great, forget the exact dimensions, but the opening for the hatch is like 41" up top and stays the same to the bottom. Rear doors open almost 90 degrees.
Climate control fans are MUCH more quiet.
Display screens look much better.
Blind spot detection indicator moved to the inside of the mirror housing instead of the mirror itself.
Push button start standard on Limited.
Thanks Kevin for this great information!

* And we also know that the Sport only comes with one interior, a multi-textured and patterned black cloth with silver stitching. Personally, I like it.

Above pictures with credit and thanks to MotorReport.

* Much tighter steering ratio. We believe, but have not yet confirmed that it changes from the previous gen's 16:1 to a nice and tight 13:1.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While this video is of the Sport model in Japan, and some obvious differences, tons of very specific and new info on the interior gauges, screen options and more that will hold true for North American versions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
While some of the following is in our other active threads, for those who later wonder into this thread for trying to learn most of what is known about the Sport model, here is some more/related info:

* The Sport model comes with a 4.2" LCD info screen directly in front of the driver. This screen allows (important to me at least) the driver to permanently/always the current speed in a digital format (keeping the analog speedometer at the same time).

* Not only on the Sports is the chrome horizontal strip inside the front upper grill instead a black color, but the entire chrome grille surround present on all other Impreza models is also blackened out on the Sport model.

* All Sport models come standard with "body color side rocker panels."

* And for those who want more, want the traditional front, side and rear Subaru underspoilers, it appears that they will be an option (and if so for all Impreza models). At the least these parts are available for Japanese Imprezas, have a traditional Subaru parts number sequence and thus could, at the least, be importable as many have done for WRX/Sti parts, etc, as in white one below with the front spoiler and side skirt/underspoilers, and believe that the following are the part numbers for those two parts and lastly the rear underspoiler.

Front: # SG517FL000
Side:# SG517FL100
Rear Quarter:# SG517FL200.

Here these parts are partially pictured on Subaru's accessory site for Japanese Imprezas.

I always enjoy peeling back the layers of the onion as we learn more about a new car model. And we still have so much more to go.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sad that the US site doesn't show anything nearly as nice in terms of accessories, all we get is an STi shifter for the CVT version and of course that only does so much for us.

·
Registered
229 Posts
an STI shifter for the CVT ? What can that possibly do other than be an aesthetic add-on?
That's all it can do and don't forget the placebo effect of having more performance. But the lack of a third pedal is not helping :D

Still, if I had to go CVT, paying $150 for the STi shifter is something I would do. STi is part of the brands DNA so as you can expect they'll throw it in wherever possible.

·
Registered
308 Posts
True. Can't even lie, I would probably buy it to just to feel included in that crowd haha, it does look good.

Gotta love placebo though.

That and maybe a crown royal bag shifter boot ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
One thing that helps a lot is not having this as your only vehicle and for me that will be the case. So doing that takes away 99% of your need for anything performance related in a daily driver.

How many of you guys here are using this as your only vehicle?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts