5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the factory tint is on the Sport trim, if any? I'm looking into getting my windows tinted the day after my Impreza gets delivered and I want to keep it within Texas legal limit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yup, but they have to made to allow at least 70% of light through. The glass is essentially dyed on the inside. I think Jeep used to if not still does that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yeah no tint unfortunately. I wish Subaru at least would have had the rear windows tinted but it's relatively cheap these days to get tint done anyways.

·
Registered
778 Posts
the Impreza is considered a "car/sedan" to the DMV so they are not allowed to come from the factory with privacy glass like the CrossTrek, Forester and Outbacks. Those are considered "SUV" to the DMV and have separate tint laws. in NC the rear of an "SUV, Truck or Van" can be tinted as dark as you want while the front doors have to be 32% or lighter. So that means we have to use around a 45% tint to get it to be legal on the front. but of course not many people around here do "legal" tint...

·
Registered
730 Posts
the Impreza is considered a "car/sedan" to the DMV so they are not allowed to come from the factory with privacy glass like the CrossTrek, Forester and Outbacks. Those are considered "SUV" to the DMV and have separate tint laws. in NC the rear of an "SUV, Truck or Van" can be tinted as dark as you want while the front doors have to be 32% or lighter. So that means we have to use around a 45% tint to get it to be legal on the front. but of course not many people around here do "legal" tint...
That's good to know. Here in MA it's 35% & if you don't adhere to the "law" they'll give you a nice red "R" rejection/inspection sticker lol.

·
Registered
778 Posts
we don't get an "R" but if you fail inspection they flag it in the system and then you have to have it removed or brought to legal specs before it can pass anywhere else. plus if you get stopped and given a tint ticket here it is $290...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we don't get an "R" but if you fail inspection they flag it in the system and then you have to have it removed or brought to legal specs before it can pass anywhere else. plus if you get stopped and given a tint ticket here it is $290...
It's the same here in Texas. You have to have a passing inspection in order to renew your registration, and window tint is part of the inspection. If you fail for window tint, your VIN is entered into their system so you can't just go to another shop (and pay another inspection fee) without fixing the tint. It's much easier just to stay within legal limit.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's the same here in Texas. You have to have a passing inspection in order to renew your registration, and window tint is part of the inspection. If you fail for window tint, your VIN is entered into their system so you can't just go to another shop (and pay another inspection fee) without fixing the tint. It's much easier just to stay within legal limit.
I know some states have a tinted window exception/waiver, but you have to prove you have a medical condition obviously. You can't just say the sun hurts your eyes haha. Here in MA it states that "Tinted Glass Waivers can only be issued to private passenger vehicles owned or operated by the person certified by the physician as being photophobic/photosensitive". Nothing is impossible though. I'm sure if you persuaded your doctor with some $$ they would sign the waiver lol.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Here in NC we do have "medical waivers" for tint that allows up to 20% tint on the whole car. But, there are a couple issues even with that. First, even if you use a 20% film on the car, by the time you factor in the solar tint already made in the glass then add the 20% tint it is still illegal because it will register about 12-13%, so it will still fail inspection. Second, you have to put this FUGLY sticker between the glass and tint to show the "cops" you have a medical waiver. And trust me, the sticker looks like CRAP between the glass and film and it's about 2.5"x4" in size, so its very noticeable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts