5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes have squeaked a bit ever since I took delivery of the Impreza Premium hatchback.
It's not horrible, but definitely noticeable as I'm slowing to a stop.

Is this something that is normal on a new car?
Anyone else have a similar issue with brake noise?

·
Registered
730 Posts
My brakes have squeaked a bit ever since I took delivery of the Impreza Premium hatchback.

If I were you I'd bring it to the dealer & have it checked. Definitely doesn't sound normal. Not on a brand new car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't think it was normal either when mine started squeaking. I had the dealer check it and they said the brakes are fine and that sometimes a spot on the brake pad will squeak. It was intermittent and did stop squeaking. That was about 1000 miles ago, but I thought I heard it again last week.
I'm also the one with the wheel bearing issue (I posted in the problems and issues section ). The squeaky brakes started around the same time as the noise that has now been identified as the wheel bearing, so I have to wonder if the two are related. My front axle assembly is being replaced next week to fix the bearing issue, so I'll see if there are any more squeaky brakes after that. It is annoying and the first time I heard the squeak, I thought it was one of the cars around me because mine is too new!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It happens.

Quality brake pads will have a thin piece of rubber or something similar to prevent the brake pad from making contact with the brake shoe (not rotor). The idea is prevent the vibration mentioned above.

There's even some hi temperature goo that you can put on the brake pads that serves the same purpose.

Sometimes it doesn't work.

I doubt that your brakes are on the on the verge of failing, but the squealing is annoying. I believe that the warranty covers brake pads, so it shouldn't cost anything to have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
How long have you had the car? Typically squeaking happens when there is not a proper bed in surface with the pad matiarial and the rotor surface. That's causes the pad to chatter in the caliper thus causing the squeak Since all components are new, I'd recommend this car needs a firm press on the brake petal from a fast speed over a long distance till almost stopping. Get the brakes hot but drive around before parking. To enable cooling of the rotor. See is that helps fix your squeak.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long have you had the car? Typically squeaking happens when there is not a proper bed in surface with the pad matiarial and the rotor surface. That's causes the pad to chatter in the caliper thus causing the squeak Since all components are new, I'd recommend this car needs a firm press on the brake petal from a fast speed over a long distance till almost stopping. Get the brakes hot but drive around before parking. To enable cooling of the rotor. See is that helps fix your squeak.
I've had the car since December 9 (one of the early buyers). I don't drive it that much, 9 mile commute rt.
I have 3,000 miles on it now.
I'll try your advice on the firm brake at fast speed.
If sound persists, I'll just take it in for service.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey there, wondering if this issue was resolved or if you ultimately discovered the problem and fixed it. I purchased a used 2017 Sport Hatch last July (2019) with 28k miles, I've put about 11k miles on it since (now April 2020) as I travel a lot in my current job.

About 4-5 months after purchasing the car, I started hearing a lot of squeaking as well. I took it in to a trusted mechanic and told him I thought I needed new brake pads. He called me a couple hours later and said the pads look almost new, and it would be a waste of money to replace the pads/calipers/rotors.
He claimed that one or more of the rotors might have been slightly warped from heat/cold or hard braking.

Still hearing quite a bit of squeaking, but sometimes it goes away (occasionally in the rain, or just randomly). Any thoughts for me? Should I just replace the pads/rotors?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of brakes and rotors at 70k miles they just don't last and the next set i'm looking into upgraded pads and rotors

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,109 Posts
While it's true some pads are more noisy than others, our cars come typically with two shims on the back of the pad. A vented and solid one, there is supposed to be a rubber compound you put between them to dampen the vibrations that make the squeaking sound. At least there is on most of the OEM brakes I've replaced. When I replace brakes even with the shims, I like to put some CRC brake quiet on the back of the pad. It typically eliminates the risk of them getting noisy. If it bugs you enough you can remove the pads and put some on yourself if you are handy.

This is the stuff I use:

Disc Brake Quiet 4OZ, 118ML

1 - 10 of 10 Posts