5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question to long term users is whether starlink is a good feature to have? Doesn't CarPlay negate the usefulness of starlink? Do you all use starlink often or do you stick to CarPlay or android auto?

Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My question to long term users is whether starlink is a good feature to have? Doesn't CarPlay negate the usefulness of starlink? Do you all use starlink often or do you stick to CarPlay or android auto?

Thanks.
Starlink is an umbrella term for 2 parts of the system:
1. is the multimedia and technology, which yes, to a degree, using Carplay / Android Auto can make it redundant, especially since many of the services rely (in the US at least) on an active subscription SiriusXM. Not to mention navigation, which your phone can do very well (and now Waze is coming to Android auto). And of course you can stream music from your phone.

2. Safety and security - these are the added services, which give you the ability to call for help in case of an accident, roadside assistants, lock and unlock the car from remote, and find your car in case it is stolen. This subscription is given free for the first year, and afterward you start paying if you want to keep it.

More info here: SUBARU STARLINK™ In-Vehicle Technology

I do not plan on renewing my Sat radio subscription, nor the Starlink services once the free trial ends.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing. It appears that starlink is bundled with eyesight in a couple of different packages. I believe you can get the 8" head unit without starlink in the limited trim. This time being close to end of the 2017 model year, the available choices are few.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Messaging using the headunit doesn't appear to work with my iPhone 7. I can make calls. I am not sure what settings I need to change. My contacts were transferred but my saved favorites disappear from the headunit.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Thanks.
I use Carplay all the time for playing music & apple maps, though they suck. Prefer google maps. The guidance is more accurate & gives traffic avoidance routes while navigating but can't view on the infotainment system unfortunately.
I have the Starlink Safety Plus & Security Plus plan. I use Starlink Remote Services all the time. If I forgot to lock the car, I can just open the mysubaru app & lock it for sure or if I forgot where I parked, I can locate the vehicle :smile2: Starlink has a lot of features, which are very useful to me. First year is only $49 but then it jumps to $149 the second year, but I think it's worth it for peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts