5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year while performing a TSB the dealership melted my previous wiper blades and returned the car with them hanging off of the wiper. I had to bring it back the next day. One year later they won't replace my wiper blades because they were already replaced one time before. Here's the conversation:

Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Technology

• This is the link for the vehicle warranty, note it does not specify any limitation to the number of times it can be replaced: Vehicle Warranty | Subaru of America
  • Carbon cleaning is in reference to a TSB. She earlier referred to the time that a TSB procedure was followed on my car as also a one-time goodwill service (in person).
  • Quote for new key battery was $16, they didn't give me one, but I just ordered 10 CR1620s for $3 bucks.
For those who think I'm being rude, there's 3 years of history with this (and every) dealership getting over on me when I am nice and then doing precisely what they should when I take a hostile approach (including one time I had to blackmail).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Why does it always have to come down too who has the bigger stick? I mean, you were telling them entitlement points but no, they try to screw you out of any rules. It's amazing... they just try to get away with anything they can. That's great though the last part. You'll be hearing from my SOA specilist for being incompetent. Good for you. These people need to learn that not everyone is submissive to BS.

It reminds me of when I purchased my car I shopped other dealerships, one sales guy kept calling me even when I bought the car from another dealership. Flat out told him I am no longer interested. But no, he kept calling me every week about some deal he had. The last time after 1 month when he called I told him if he calls again he'll be hearing from my Lawyer. (Never heard from again). Why does it take threatening to get to the point?

Or what happens at Starbucks on a monthly basis, I order a 5 dollar coffee (yeah I know it's pricey) but when I feel like getting something I can't make myself I go. They end up screwing up the order. I tell the barista this isn't what I ordered. They balk and try to justify why it's correct. I then tell them I'm auditing this location anonymously and will fail this location in my report to corporate. The drink ends up being remade with care.

Seems in order to get anything done you have to stand up with authroity other wise you're a door mat.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
245 Posts
Ouch, $1300 for carbon cleaning... I saw a post on another thread yesterday that stated carbon cleaning should be around $150 (found it) . And $100+ for wipers is definitely overkill, especially if they've damaged them previously and are under warranty.

Be rude to this dealer, there isn't any other way to get through them. Especially if it's a dealer that's been scummy with you before. We have 3 or 4 dealers in the metro-area of my city, 1 of them was especially awful when we bought our 2016 Forester 7 years ago, haven't gone to them to buy my Impreza, or our new Forester.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Last year while performing a TSB the dealership melted my previous wiper blades and returned the car with them hanging off of the wiper. I had to bring it back the next day. One year later they won't replace my wiper blades because they were already replaced one time before. Here's the conversation:

View attachment 27846

• This is the link for the vehicle warranty, note it does not specify any limitation to the number of times it can be replaced: Vehicle Warranty | Subaru of America
  • Carbon cleaning is in reference to a TSB. She earlier referred to the time that a TSB procedure was followed on my car as also a one-time goodwill service (in person).
  • Quote for new key battery was $16, they didn't give me one, but I just ordered 10 CR1620s for $3 bucks.
For those who think I'm being rude, there's 3 years of history with this (and every) dealership getting over on me when I am nice and then doing precisely what they should when I take a hostile approach (including one time I had to blackmail).
They were being very aggressively dismissive (if that's a thing). What a rude thing for them to do instead of just elevating it for someone else to help you since they obviously weren't trying very hard. "I hear you complaining and I don't give a 💩. Now come pick up your car so I don't have to talk to you anymore" that's basically what I got out of their side of the conversation.

If you ever do end up having to buy wiper blades at Subaru somewhere down the line I was told by the guy at the parts counter at my dealer (who happened to be the brother of a guy that I used to work with, so name dropping got me a discount) that the wiper blades come with a one-year warranty, so just before that one year mark you bring them in and tell them that they are defective and they will just give you new ones. ( Keep receipt )😀👍 Subaru life hack right there. Take that grumpy and unhelpful service rep person!

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
159 Posts
This is why dealerships dying. People can't trust them, especially when they try to screw you over every time. I had the same type of experience. I imediatly went to cancel my extended warrenty and get a refund, ad I made it very clear to them of the experience I had, and how that lead to me canceling my extended warranty. In my case, they refused to do any warrenty work because I had a tint on my windows "which could cause the window motor to surge, and lead to a short that destroys the engine" lol. They literally refused to investigate that low speed stutter that CVTs suffer from. Hopefully, that will be gone when I finally get my tune.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10201059-0001.pdf

Pg 7/11: IMPORTANT: To avoid engine overheating, keep the engine hood open. The use of a
supplemental cooling fan to circulate air and cool the engine compartment is recommended.
You truly have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to cars. For starters this procedure doesn’t heat the engine so much that the wipers would melt. You’re Wipers were bad before and the dealer replaced them due to them being bad under warranty.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You truly have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to cars. For starters this procedure doesn’t heat the engine so much that the wipers would melt. You’re Wipers were bad before and the dealer replaced them due to them being bad under warranty.
^^^^^^The above poster is correct^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is NO WAY that heat from the radiator can "melt" the windshield wipers.
I present two work orders, dated three days apart. The first about a heat-generating TSB. The second about wiper cowl and wiper blade separation. The date is top right.

Handwriting Font Newspaper Newsprint Paper

Handwriting Font Material property Paper Document

SUPRARU, I resent your attempts to gaslight and deceive the forum regarding truthful and factual statements that I have made. You claimed I did not know what I'm talking about, the evidence in fact shows that it is you who does not know anything at all. You've incorrectly conceptualized the heat caused by this TSB, horribly misused grade-school grammar, and spoke with certainty regarding events you had no participation in.

BruceP, much like the intellectual upon whos theories you have chosen to piggy you have been defeated in your opposition of truth.

What was the point in making your BS claims anyway?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm not taking sides here but from what I can gather I see no evidence that the wipers were melted per the TSB. It says that the blades are streaking and the rear is worn. Now, obviously the rear has NOTHING to do with any TSB performed on the engine but I just don't see evidence that they were melted. However, if we had a picture of them melted after said TSB then we can make informed comments. What all hat being said, none of us were there to witness to disprove what you are saying though going by what you are presenting I also don't see anything to prove what you are saying.

Dealers are tough. My friend dropped his B5 A4 off at the dealer many years ago. After he picked it up, he heard rattling and when he opened the hood he found a wrench that was bouncing around and scratched the shit out of under his hood. He brought it to the dealer, they took the wrench and said "Have a nice day!" Another time, he took his B6 S4 in for service and when they got it back someone removed his center console and replaced with the wrong one. When he pointed it out, they had no explanation for the swap and ended up having to order and replace with a new one. They also got grease on his seat and refused to do anything about it.

I once took my B5 S4 in for service and inquired about replacing the 17" rims with 18" rims and was told it would F up my trans. I went in a few months later for a service and they were selling the same car as mine with 18s. Other times I would bring it for service and the service writer would tell me that they would let me know if it was anything that I did or road hazard. I was bringing the car in for a covered oil change due to the Audi maintenance schedule (plus it was covered in the cost of the car) so of course it was something I did. I drove the freaking car to the mileage where I needed another oil change. I had numerous problems with that dealer but they were the only dealer within a reasonable drive. BTW, my friend and I used the same dealer.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Please try to keep things nice. There is no need to denigrate other folks just because you do not agree with them.

I stated a FACT: A wiper-blade which is more than 4 feet from the radiator blowing on it will NEVER "melt". We know the maximum temperature of the fluid within the radiator. We can calculate the temperature of the air 4+ feet from the radiator-fans. (HINT: It is less than the maximum fluid temperature)

Another FACT: If the wiper "melted", it was not due to hot air from the radiator.

These are FACTS... I will refrain from further comments regarding this discussion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I present two work orders, dated three days apart. The first about a heat-generating TSB. The second about wiper cowl and wiper blade separation. The date is top right.

View attachment 27865
View attachment 27864

SUPRARU, I resent your attempts to gaslight and deceive the forum regarding truthful and factual statements that I have made. You claimed I did not know what I'm talking about, the evidence in fact shows that it is you who does not know anything at all. You've incorrectly conceptualized the heat caused by this TSB, horribly misused grade-school grammar, and spoke with certainty regarding events you had no participation in.

BruceP, much like the intellectual upon whos theories you have chosen to piggy you have been defeated in your opposition of truth.

Considering I work at a dealership I can tell you have no clue what you're talking about. Your wipers didn't melt. Please tell me how much heat you really think that this TSB generated to be able to melt your wipers and I'll just tell you you're wrong. Just because you don't know how to read and understand a tsb doesn't mean others don't. I've also performed this uncountable times in my career as a technician and never did any wiper blades melt. Also wiper cowl replacement is very common on Impreza's and Crosstreks. I have a 22' Sport that mine will get replaced once I call in my cracked windshield. You had two totally separate issues. It's ok though because I understand that you want to blame something on your wiper blades failing so that you can get free wiper blades. I see things like this literally every day. I also might add if there was that much heat to melt your wiper blades I'm sure your cat would have been melted as well....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please try to keep things nice. There is no need to denigrate other folks just because you do not agree with them.

I stated a FACT: A wiper-blade which is more than 4 feet from the radiator blowing on it will NEVER "melt". We know the maximum temperature of the fluid within the radiator. We can calculate the temperature of the air 4+ feet from the radiator-fans. (HINT: It is less than the maximum fluid temperature)

Another FACT: If the wiper "melted", it was not due to hot air from the radiator.

These are FACTS... I will refrain from further comments regarding this discussion.
If you're picturing melting as a cartoonish blob of goo then I entice you to look at the dictionary definition of melt. If you would like to keep things nice then do not speak with certainty pertaining to events you are not privy of whilst implicating me as a liar. Fact of the matter is that an inspection was done on my car by the dealership, a tsb was performed, and the following inspection found everything melted. I was there, I saw exactly what happened. You were not there and have no idea what happened. Only guessing.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering I work at a dealership I can tell you have no clue what you're talking about. Your wipers didn't melt. Please tell me how much heat you really think that this TSB generated to be able to melt your wipers and I'll just tell you you're wrong. Just because you don't know how to read and understand a tsb doesn't mean others don't. I've also performed this uncountable times in my career as a technician and never did any wiper blades melt. Also wiper cowl replacement is very common on Impreza's and Crosstreks. I have a 22' Sport that mine will get replaced once I call in my cracked windshield. You had two totally separate issues. It's ok though because I understand that you want to blame something on your wiper blades failing so that you can get free wiper blades. I see things like this literally every day. I also might add if there was that much heat to melt your wiper blades I'm sure your cat would have been melted as well....
Whether you work at nasa or a dealership your job title does not overwhelm the fact of truth.

I've had multiple cowl replacements. Fact of the matter is after this TSB my windshield wipers were separated and hanging off a thread and the cowl was melted. Why does the cowl melt? From heat. Same with wiper separation.

If your claim is that this happened due to weather, I bring to attention that an inspection was performed on October 10 2021 and no issue was found. On october 13 2021, following TSB, issue existed. The temperature on these three days was: 79, 72, 73, 68F. Weather in Walnut Creek in October 2021 (California) - detailed Weather Forecast for a month

I've had my cowl replaced 3 times, it does not warp at <80 as the temperature was in the 3 days between the two tickets. You may work at a dealership but you are certainly lacking experience if your conclusion is contrary to fact.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It says that the blades are streaking and the rear is worn.
Half of the wiper blade was hanging off and making a sound hitting my car in the wind. It was detached, what they write in their assessments is not reflective of the truth.

For instance the writeup of my fuel pump recall: I bring in my car to a fuel recall with an empty gas tank. They write that they drained out half a tank, did the recall, and refilled it. Then they write they add 91 Octane gas (because it is out of fuel to test issue, which was corrected with ECU update).

Font Material property Handwriting Paper Paper product
Handwriting Rectangle Font Music Paper

Now here's the better question. Can anyone tell me why dealers keep filling these cars up with 91 octane and letting people test drive with on 91 octane and testing issues on 91 octane when the manual calls for 87?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Whether you work at nasa or a dealership your job title does not overwhelm the fact of truth.

I've had multiple cowl replacements. Fact of the matter is after this TSB my windshield wipers were separated and hanging off a thread and the cowl was melted. Why does the cowl melt? From heat. Same with wiper separation.

If your claim is that this happened due to weather, I bring to attention that an inspection was performed on October 10 2021 and no issue was found. On october 13 2021, following TSB, issue existed. The temperature on these three days was: 79, 72, 73, 68F. Weather in Walnut Creek in October 2021 (California) - detailed Weather Forecast for a month

I've had my cowl replaced 3 times, it does not warp at <80 as the temperature was in the 3 days between the two tickets. You may work at a dealership but you are certainly lacking experience if your conclusion is contrary to fact.
It's astonishing how little you know about cars. Cars literally come in with rubber hanging off wipers every day, are they melted too? As to you had it there days before, stuff happens. I've had cars I've done light checks on for inspection be fine and when you're pulling out the bulb is out. Things happen. Your cowl also isn't melted. I think you have a problem with the English language. Again, the wiper cowls on the imprezas/crosstreks are garbage. Also the seal that goes at the top can't be replaced separately. You can keep saying this TSB melted things till you're blue in the face but the simple fact is you're fishing for info and you're completely wrong. Keep using the word melted, it doesn't change anything. I deal with customers like you every day. We just laugh about you when you leave.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
262 Posts
Well, just replaced the wipers on my daughter's 2020 Impreza sedan at 29k miles. $26 for the pair.

And something is weird about them calling for 87 in the manual but people have reported better performance with 91.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's astonishing how little you know about cars. Cars literally come in with rubber hanging off wipers every day, are they melted too? As to you had it there days before, stuff happens. I've had cars I've done light checks on for inspection be fine and when you're pulling out the bulb is out. Things happen. Your cowl also isn't melted. I think you have a problem with the English language. Again, the wiper cowls on the imprezas/crosstreks are garbage. Also the seal that goes at the top can't be replaced separately. You can keep saying this TSB melted things till you're blue in the face but the simple fact is you're fishing for info and you're completely wrong. Keep using the word melted, it doesn't change anything. I deal with customers like you every day. We just laugh about you when you leave.
You speak from a position of ignorance. The TSB specifically calls for " The use of a supplemental cooling fan to circulate air and cool the engine compartment is recommended." Guess why? Because heat builds up without airflow. My cowl and windshield both melted, not into a puddle, but enough to soften the structural integrity of plastic and deform their shape. Both were replaced days after a multipoint inspection did not find them needing replacement after having been melted by TSB.

I cannot fathom why you would come to this forum and gaslight me with your pathetic lies. Get a clue, and a better hobby, than misleading consumers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts