5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Impreza 5 Door base 5MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My Impreza is a base so I have the plastic wheel and shift knob. Wasn’t anything wrong with them, but I prefer leather there. I wanted to share some photos of this DIY leather steering wheel cover I stitched on over the weekend. Just finished up tucking and adhering the leather. I also ordered a Subaru brand shift knob to match. Found the wheel cover kit on Amazon I put the link below:

DIY Sew Black Microfiber Leather... Amazon.com: DIY Sew Black Microfiber Leather Car Steering Wheel Cover for Subaru 2018 2019 2020 Outback Ascent Crosstrek Forester Impreza Legacy (Black Thread): Automotive

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Center console Steering wheel

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super nice job on the steering wheel, it looks stock, well done.
Thank you! The stitching up close isn’t amazing, but I’m not the most patient person and it took me a solid 5-6 hours to do. I now understand fully why a leather wrapped wheel is so much more than a standard one haha.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nice setup. The steering wheel turned out nice.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
Thank you! The stitching up close isn’t amazing, but I’m not the most patient person and it took me a solid 5-6 hours to do. I now understand fully why a leather wrapped wheel is so much more than a standard one haha.
Looks really good. Have you looked at any of the SPARCO shift knobs? Every time I have had a manual tranny car I have gone with SPARCO knobs, love them!

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,545 Posts
I went with a Kartboy Shift knob but it's not leather. One thing nice about Kartboy and possibly others I suspect, is it will lower the shift lever. The OEM knob is really tall. have some pics here:

Kartboy Short Shifter and Knob on 2019 Impreza Sport

If you do go aftermarket try and find a knob with a notch on the bottom to hold up the shifter boot. While it's doable it's a PITA to get something under the shifter boot to hold it up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks really good. Have you looked at any of the SPARCO shift knobs? Every time I have had a manual tranny car I have gone with SPARCO knobs, love them!
Tbh I was worried about what would fit the right way and had been on here asking you guys all sorts of dumb questions already so I didn’t want to ask about shift knobs too lol. I wanted to keep up a stock appearance but nicer than the base setup so I went for the oem to make sure it fit right

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with a Kartboy Shift knob but it's not leather. One thing nice about Kartboy and possibly others I suspect, is it will lower the shift lever. The OEM knob is really tall. have some pics here:

Kartboy Short Shifter and Knob on 2019 Impreza Sport

If you do go aftermarket try and find a knob with a notch on the bottom to hold up the shifter boot. While it's doable it's a PITA to get something under the shifter boot to hold it up.

View attachment 23302
Thanks for the info I do like that aftermarket knob and I bet the lower placement makes shifting nicer too. I thought about a short throw kit in the future one I get more used to the car

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,545 Posts
There are no dumb questions, only dumb people :)

I'm joking of course! We have a lot of people on here with knowledge in different areas that are happy to answer.

I understand wanting to keep the stock look.

I typically install a KB short shifter, I've been using his shifters since he first started making them in 99. Not hard to do if you typically work on your own car.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
Tbh I was worried about what would fit the right way and had been on here asking you guys all sorts of dumb questions already so I didn’t want to ask about shift knobs too lol. I wanted to keep up a stock appearance but nicer than the base setup so I went for the oem to make sure it fit right
Why do you want to keep it stock looking? SPARCO shift knobs look awesome and feel awesome to the hand. I wish they made automatic shift knobs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do you want to keep it stock looking? SPARCO shift knobs look awesome and feel awesome to the hand. I wish they made automatic shift knobs.
I’ve got nothing against Sparco or any other aftermarket brands I was looking at a cool set of sparco rims actually. It’s just always been a preference of mine inside to keep it clean and stock looking plus I liked the feel of the stock leather knob I just wasn’t aware I didn’t get that until my car was delivered since I couldn’t see/test drive a base manual before I bought.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
I’ve got nothing against Sparco or any other aftermarket brands I was looking at a cool set of sparco rims actually. It’s just always been a preference of mine inside to keep it clean and stock looking plus I liked the feel of the stock leather knob I just wasn’t aware I didn’t get that until my car was delivered since I couldn’t see/test drive a base manual before I bought.
Gotcha

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for sharing/posting pictures, looks great!. I just ordered one. Looking forward to making my "Premium level" feel more premium vs a rubber steering wheel! The Rubber Steering wheel and lack of rear seat cupholders where my two largest pet peeves about this car (but I didn't want to pay $5,000+ more of Limited level to address these two short comings). This Leather Steering wheel cover is a cost viable solution.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for sharing/posting pictures, looks great!. I just ordered one. Looking forward to making my "Premium level" feel more premium vs a rubber steering wheel! The Rubber Steering wheel and lack of rear seat cupholders where my two largest pet peeves about this car (but I didn't want to pay $5,000+ more of Limited level to address these two short comings). This Leather Steering wheel cover is a cost viable solution.
After having the cover on there about a year and a half I will say overall it was worth the struggle to install it. Hasn’t come apart or worn funny or anything which, for the money, I’m very pleased with.
I totally agree with you I was annoyed with the rubber wheel it just felt “cheap” to me. Good luck putting on your cover be sure to do it in a hot day in the sun!

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
153 Posts
It appears that the new WRX wheel matches our vehicles - as for aftermarket I've only seen drop in replacements for the last gen WRX where you keep the stock airbag. And those don't have a compatible button setup/airbag with our cars - at least not drop in replacement.

While you do you, removing an airbag on a street car is pretty risky to do so I don't think anyone should go that route unless you're desiring to completely overhaul your vehicle for a track or rally purpose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts