5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something bugging me for awhile, why is there a controversy about some people putting STI parts on their cars? Some people get really butt hurt over it and I can't understand why. If they like it so what. I have a 2017 Impreza Sport sedan with the STI lips and CVT shift knob because I like the way it looks and I'm supporting STI. I also want the black STI wheels. They're our cars, we like it so what.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
320 Posts
There's no controversy. Anyone that gets upset about it has a mental deficiency or illness.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think there's less controversy than you're thinking. No one objects to STI catalog parts meant for the Gen 5 Impreza being installed. However, years of being asked if current WRX and WRX STI parts (which are Gen 4 Impreza) are direct bolt on for the Gen 5 platform has made a few people cranky about having to always answer No, because the question might as well be "Do 2016 Impreza parts direct bolt into a 2017+?". That answer is also No.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I should have used a better word. But yeah it's rather annoying when some try to shame others about it. One guy said to me it's dumb I have STI parts on a non STI Subaru. I said it's just parts, I like it so idc.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There's more to parts than just being 'STI'. It matters which model of car they are meant to fit. Subaru makes STI parts for all of their cars. It's not a matter of whether there are STI parts for the Impreza because there are many that are easy to add. There are several people here that have either bought their Impreza new with basically the entire STI catalog installed, or have installed afterward piece by piece. But just asking if the STI part fits without being more specific will get a lot of snarky comments. It's like asking if there's anything to eat on a menu that has beef. In the drink section, not so much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean there are people that get angry at others for putting STI parts on their car, that's what I don't understand.

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
45 Posts
Immature and/or younger people, maybe, see it as being a "poser" that your slapping the "performance" parts on an economy car.

The car is yours to do what you please and that makes you happy, at the end of the day. That's all that matters.

I've got some extra trim pieces, the rally flaps, red lugs, etc. and I am under no illusions that any of this stuff adds horsepower or anything.

But when I'm driving on my commute to my job, I want to sit in something I enjoy and have fun in.

That's what my Impreza does for me and you should do with yours w/e does the same for you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Learn to ignore those petty things in life. In the big picture, it does not matter what others think.

It is OK to have an opinion.... it is NOT OK to impress it upon others. One should listen to others so they can expand their knowledge.... not so they can dismiss it.

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hatch 5-Speed Manual
178 Posts
I guess I have not seen or experienced this myself. Subaru sells parts specific for our cars with the STI logo on them that do not fit on actual STI's so I don't see how someone can get mad at you about it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Some people might have an issue with your vehicle if it's a 'badge only' conversion; years ago there were numerous "SS" Camaros on the road if you believed the body stickers; open the hood, though, and most of them were V-6 models. Sometimes in classic cars, people dress-up a car to be something it's not, just to get more money when they sell it (once again, "SS" Camaros are a good example-half of those for sale did not start out as an "SS" model).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well my Impreza doesn't have a STI badge just the STI parts they made for the Impreza Sport. But anyway, idc what anyone says it's my car my money and I enjoy it.

·
Registered
'19 Impreza 5dr Sport
51 Posts
I have a few STI parts on my impreza hatch sport. Do I have STI badges on the car? Yup. Do I care if people shake their head at me… “why didn’t you just buy an STI?” Say what they want… I like my ride just the way it is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just don't like when people think we're posers because we didn't buy an STI. I've had a guy say that too lol oh well

·
Registered
Impreza sport 2.0i-L eyesight (Applied A, Japanese spec.)
9 Posts
I'm posting from Japan.
In Japan, there are some Subarists who only wear STI badges or STI stickers on their cars because they love Subaru and STI.

You don't need anyone's permission to wear the STI items, and if you like it, you can install items.

In Japan, STI parts can be installed on cars other than those with STI-tuned specs and can be purchased from authorized Subaru or STI dealership.
People who want to install STI parts can do so freely, and I believe that is the excellence of Subaru cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts