5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All --

I am new to this forum and figured I would post about a problem I have experienced, to see if it is an isolated problem or more widespread. I have the base Impreza 4 door, one of the first off the line, obtained back in January. I noticed a clicking noise with the driver side wiper on the downswing, shortly after getting the car. More recently, over the past week - with lots of days of rain, there is a wiper "chatter" on the same wiper (but only on the lower half of the wiper blade). I wiped the blade down yesterday, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and also cleaned the windshield, but the problem persists. Anybody else having wiper issues? The wipers seem more flimsy overall, having come from a 2015 Impreza beforehand. Any quick fixes for this problem? Thinking of going to the dealer to inquire further.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We've not used our wipers a lot, just a couple of days while traveling but have noticed no issues with them.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi All --

I am new to this forum and figured I would post about a problem I have experienced, to see if it is an isolated problem or more widespread. I have the base Impreza 4 door, one of the first off the line, obtained back in January. I noticed a clicking noise with the driver side wiper on the downswing, shortly after getting the car. More recently, over the past week - with lots of days of rain, there is a wiper "chatter" on the same wiper (but only on the lower half of the wiper blade). I wiped the blade down yesterday, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and also cleaned the windshield, but the problem persists. Anybody else having wiper issues? The wipers seem more flimsy overall, having come from a 2015 Impreza beforehand. Any quick fixes for this problem? Thinking of going to the dealer to inquire further.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum & sorry to hear about your issue. Make sure the wiper arms are securely tightened. Lift up the covers on the wiper arms & underneath is a nut. Not sure what size socket you need but you could try this first & proceed to dealer if problem persists.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed the same thing you did. The wiper blades seems flimsy. Let us know if you were able to find a fix to the "chatter" you reported.
I tried the suggestion from 1stsubie, by tightening the wiper arm (seemed pretty tight to begin with). The problem continues. The thing is, the "chatter" does not happen consistently (of course!) I also thought the "chatter" may be due to the windshield being too dry or something on the windshield, but the "chatter" appears to happen somewhat randomly. I've experienced it intermittently when just using the windshield washer on an otherwise dry windshield, and also during a heavier rain. I'm slightly hesitant to bring it to the dealer, as I anticipate when I get there it will be one of those times that the "chatter" is not present :-( The saga continues.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I tried the suggestion from 1stsubie, by tightening the wiper arm (seemed pretty tight to begin with). The problem continues. The thing is, the "chatter" does not happen consistently (of course!) I also thought the "chatter" may be due to the windshield being too dry or something on the windshield, but the "chatter" appears to happen somewhat randomly. I've experienced it intermittently when just using the windshield washer on an otherwise dry windshield, and also during a heavier rain. I'm slightly hesitant to bring it to the dealer, as I anticipate when I get there it will be one of those times that the "chatter" is not present :-( The saga continues.

I'd bring it to the dealer regardless since its still under warranty. No harm in having someone else take a look. You're probably right though it won't happen while in their presence. I've always had that happen to me. Good luck!

Reactions: 1stsubie

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'd bring it to the dealer regardless since its still under warranty. No harm in having someone else take a look. You're probably right though it won't happen while in their presence. I've always had that happen to me. Good luck!
What coletrain said. It'll be documented in the service department. Let us know if you find a solution for this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hear the click too whenever the wipers come back down, which I read elsewhere to be because of design. As for the chattering of the wiper blades, I noticed that too during a couple rainy weeks - they're definitely subpar. I'll probably replace the wiper blades with a different brand when the next rainy season comes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What coletrain said. It'll be documented in the service department. Let us know if you find a solution for this.
I finally got around to bringing the car in for service a couple of days ago to address the wiper chatter and noise. They replaced the wiper blade and also stated they had not had other customer complaints as of yet. Needless to say, it has not rained since having the car services LOL. Will update after experiencing a couple of rainy drives.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Almost every new BMW I have driven has flawless wipers and I believe Bosch supplies them along with some other high end car makers. So if you want to buy your own (instead of getting them exchanged at the dealer) do a search for Bosch. Personally for a product that lasts so long and is so cheap, I rather get my own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts