5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a car guy, but it's my new toy and I want to change it up a little. Moons ago when I had more money and a different career I had an 86 Corvette I got in 1987. I loved the car and driving it / steering it felt like it was on a track, immediate response. I know we're comparing apples to watermelons here... but what can I do to change the suspension to the car feels tighter on the road, tighter on the turn?

I don't want to make the ride rougher, as one of the things I like about the Impreza is the quiet ride.

Yes, I could have gone with a WRX/STI or something, but I wanted the better mileage and I needed a car with some space for work stuff. The car is basically fine, just trying to add some mods.

Changing the bulbs out for LED and adding fog lamps (hoping they fit from Subispeed) and adding an LED light bar under the lower grill portion. Rest is just cosmetic, carbon fiber, etc.

Not a mechanical type of guy, so having a local shop do the work... but help from the group will be quite useful.

ps.. considered lifting the car a bit, but I think that will be counterproductive for the better ride I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drive a 2015 Forester Limited so I don't have experience with the Impreza but I think that a rear sway bar would dramatically improve the handling of your car. The WRX and STi models come standard with a sway bar but the other Imprezas do not. The Forester, Impreza and Crosstech have similar suspensions and drive trains so many parts are interchangeable.

For example, I removed the 16mm rear sway bar from my Forester and installed a used 20mm rear sway bar that originally had been on a 2015 WRX....it fit perfectly and greatly improved the handling without affecting the ride.

My 16mm rear sway bar is for sale if you are interested. See my ForSale listing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I drive a 2015 Forester Limited so I don't have experience with the Impreza but I think that a rear sway bar would dramatically improve the handling of your car. The WRX and STi models come standard with a sway bar but the other Imprezas do not. The Forester, Impreza and Crosstech have similar suspensions and drive trains so many parts are interchangeable.

For example, I removed the 16mm rear sway bar from my Forester and installed a used 20mm rear sway bar that originally had been on a 2015 WRX....it fit perfectly and greatly improved the handling without affecting the ride.

My 16mm rear sway bar is for sale if you are interested. See my ForSale listing.
The Gen5 (2017+) Impreza is on the global platform, the WRX/STI are not. So where parts used to be somewhat workable with interchanging they are not anymore. Once the WRX/STI gets on the the global maybe, but that is years out

1 - 3 of 3 Posts