5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 6th Subie, I am no stranger to the problems with Subie and paint.

But, today I was washing my car and I noticed that the rocker panels on my new Impreza Sport are clearly painted a different color than the rest of the body! The red is more pink! I took a photo of it but it is hard to see in the photo.

Frankly I am surprised, you would think that after all of these years Subaru would get the paint right.:frown2:

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I think I've noticed what you're referring to. There seems to be some parts of the car where the color isn't an exact match.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've noticed what you're referring to. There seems to be some parts of the car where the color isn't an exact match.
Yea, since I posted this I noticed that the side mirrors look different as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've not seen this on my island blue pearl, but I've certainly seen something like that on other cars from other manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent an email to SOA, I wonder if I will get anything back.

·
Registered
778 Posts
it is not just the rocker panels on ours, but all of the "non metal" parts are slightly different. which i expect it is due to being a different material. it isn't off bad enough for me to complain about because the paint on our car actually looks really good, even after 13K miles and almost a year of highway driving. every car we have had that was a darkish color, such as this Lithium Red, the plastic parts just didn't seem to match exact. silver is worst color to try to match between metal and plastic parts. it takes a very good body man and painter to make it look perfect.

but i am curious as to what SOA might say, if you hear anything back from them.

Reactions: C J

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is not just the rocker panels on ours, but all of the "non metal" parts are slightly different. which i expect it is due to being a different material. it isn't off bad enough for me to complain about because the paint on our car actually looks really good, even after 13K miles and almost a year of highway driving. every car we have had that was a darkish color, such as this Lithium Red, the plastic parts just didn't seem to match exact. silver is worst color to try to match between metal and plastic parts. it takes a very good body man and painter to make it look perfect.

but i am curious as to what SOA might say, if you hear anything back from them.
They told me to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any resolve on this? I tried posting my own thread but it wont let me so I'm gonna just post here. I recently took my 2017 impreza limited to the dealership where I bought the car from for its first service. When I went to pick up the car they handed me the keys and told me where it was parked (against the wall where they have a row of back in angle parking spaces). I went out to find my car backed into the wall with the bumper appearing to be very dented in and pressing up against the wall with the car parked that way. :surprise:

So I went back in and notified them and they apologized and agreed to repair it. So they took it to a body shop to repair it. When I went back to pick it up I noticed two dings in the the passenger rear door. So off it went to the body shop again. When I finally got the car back after getting it home and seeing it in different lighting I'm thinking the rear bumper paint color is slightly darker/more yellow and doesn't match the rest of the car. I'm told crystal white pearl is a tri coat making it very difficult to match. So I notify the dealership and they tell I can bring it back to the body shop to have it blended.

When I got to the body shop he told me that the bumpers never match even from the factory since the bumpers are plastic and the body panels are metal. He also told me that he didn't replace the whole bumper, only repaired the one side that was damaged. But both sides of the bumper did not match. Was my car always like this and I'm only noticing it now because I'm examining the bumper so closely? I'm having a hard time believing this.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
^^^still looks like a different color. As 2017SportHatch stated above, it is due to the paint adhering to different materials. Very common for the paint on metal to appear different than that of a plastic component. Subaru is not alone in this issue.

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
101 Posts
When I got to the body shop he told me that the bumpers never match even from the factory since the bumpers are plastic and the body panels are metal. He also told me that he didn't replace the whole bumper, only repaired the one side that was damaged. But both sides of the bumper did not match. Was my car always like this and I'm only noticing it now because I'm examining the bumper so closely? I'm having a hard time believing this.
The factory normally does a pretty good job matching the colors on the plastic bumper cover with the steel body. What I have learned from my body shop over the years is that it is far better for them to repair an existing plastic bumper cover than it is to obtain an unpainted bumper from the OEM supplier. There are two reasons. First, the paint that the factory puts on the bumper is exceptionally hard and resistant to chips. I have been told that it is impossible for a body shop to duplicate this 'toughness,' so a repair of the original bumper is preferred. Secondly, it is much more difficult to match the color to the body of the car when you start with an unpainted bumper cover. Supposedly, it is easier to make the match when applying new paint onto an existing factory cover.

If you are not happy with the work of the body shop, I would discuss it with the body shop manager. If he does not offer, I would ask him to please try again... as politely as possible.

Peace... Mack

·
Registered
21 Posts
The problem is that Im apparently noticing paint differences on the side of the bumper that was never repaired. Im wondering if they in fact replaced the whole bumper and arent telling me or if it came that way from the factory. If it came that way should I request the dealer do something? Its the first thing I see everytime I look at my car now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Three stage paint work can be difficult to match existing factory painted panels, but it’s not impossible if the correct procedure is followed. There is more work involved painting a three stage color, because the painter has to paint a spray out test card with several “passes” or coats in simple terms, ranging from one pass/coat up to say four for example. Usually the more coats the test card gets, the darker the color will be. Then it is coated with clear coat.
Once the spray out test card is dry, it is compared to the vehicle & the closest match would be picked. There is no paint chips with variants to reference.
Judging from the pictures you attached, the color looks to be more of a yellow variant. It stands out when you compare it to the quarter panel.
I suggest you return to the shop who completed the work. Inform them your not satisfied with the work. You can request it to be completed again. If they refuse, go to an auto body shop of your choice, get an estimate for the work to be redone, give it to the dealer or SOA & go from there.
The paint differences you mentioned could be the shop blended the bumper cover for “color match” but I sincerely doubt the bumper cover was replaced. They most likely repaired the existing one to save money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Judging from the pictures you attached, the color looks to be more of a yellow variant. It stands out when you compare it to the quarter panel.
I suggest you return to the shop who completed the work. Inform them your not satisfied with the work. You can request it to be completed again. If they refuse, go to an auto body shop of your choice, get an estimate for the work to be redone, give it to the dealer or SOA & go from there.
The paint differences you mentioned could be the shop blended the bumper cover for “color match” but I sincerely doubt the bumper cover was replaced. They most likely repaired the existing one to save money.
I've gone back to the body shop already. They said they only touched one side of the bumper and they matched it to the other side which didn't match the rest of the car when I bought it according to them. I have a video of the car when I first bought it although it was taken in the sun so its sort of hard to tell but I don't think it looks quite as yellow. Do you think the body shop may have repainted the entire bumper and not blended it into the quarter panels? I got a quote from a custom shop who said he could blend the paint perfectly for $850. I haven't given this quote to the dealer yet as they seem to be fed up with me and are trying not to pay for anymore repairs so I want to go about this the best way. I'm almost thinking of trading in my car for a 2018 sport that I inspect the bumpers of prior to purchasing. I would lose money but I want to stiffen my suspension, remove my roof rails and buy the side rocker panels from the sport for my limited which would cost a decent amount anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve been back to the body shop. They said they only touched one side of the bumper and matched it to the other side which didnt match the rest of the car when I bought it. I have a video of the car from when I first bought it although it was taken in the sun so its sort of hard to tell but I dont think it looks as yellow. I got a quote from a custom shop that said they could blend the paint for $850. I havent given this quote to the dealer yet as they seem fed up with me and are trying not to pay for anymore repairs so I want to go about this the best way possible. Im almost considering buying a sport that I closely inspect the bumpers of prior to purchasing. I would lose money but I want to buy stiffen my suspension, buy the side rocker panels from the sport, and remove my roof rails which would cost a decent amount anyway.

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
101 Posts
I’ve been back to the body shop. They said they only touched one side of the bumper and matched it to the other side which didnt match the rest of the car when I bought it. I have a video of the car from when I first bought it although it was taken in the sun so its sort of hard to tell but I dont think it looks as yellow. I got a quote from a custom shop that said they could blend the paint for $850. I havent given this quote to the dealer yet as they seem fed up with me and are trying not to pay for anymore repairs so I want to go about this the best way possible. Im almost considering buying a sport that I closely inspect the bumpers of prior to purchasing. I would lose money but I want to buy stiffen my suspension, buy the side rocker panels from the sport, and remove my roof rails which would cost a decent amount anyway.
I feel your pain. However, I would not expect your dealer to offer to pay $850 for paint blending. Maybe you could split the cost with the dealer? Just thinking out loud.

We all have this wonderful feeling when we buy a new car. Then, when the we get that first ding, we feel incredibly violated. This is a universal experience. There are only two things you can do to get past this. One is to just let some time pass. Believe me, after a couple years, the small difference in the paint color on your car will mean much less in the great scheme of life. The second thing you can do is get rid of the car. Trade it for that new Sport model you mentioned. This will make you feel better because the mismatched paint will be gone, but there are drawbacks to this course of action. It is an expensive solution and it is temporary because eventually, your next new car will get ITS first ding. And so, the cycle repeats.

Peace... Mack

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is it unusual to have to blend paint on a brand new car? Would a dealer ever do this or am I the one at fault for not examining my car closer prior to purchasing? If I go to trade in my car for a new one and the white one they offer me has bumpers that are even slightly off I'm going to ask for a different one and they are going to say why? And if I say the paint doesn't match they might say well it matches better than your old car! Haha, the dings are not what I'm worried about, those are repairable. I just feel like I bought a mismatched car that I'm now stuck with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts