5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks.

We ordered our Impreza Premium with Eyesight and moon roof, etal. last weekend. In the meantime, I'm researching and asking silly questions to help kill time over the next 8 weeks until it arrives.

Anyway, does anyone have any observations to share about the limitations of radar cruise or any other Eyesight related features?

We have a 2012 Volvo S60 T6 that we ordered with all the bells and whistles, including active cruise, collision avoidance and pedestrian detection with auto brake.

One thing that I've noticed with the active cruise set is a repeatable problem when overtaking trucks on curvy highways. When I'm in the left lane and pass a semi, the Volvo thinks the truck is coming into my lane and brakes...hard. I've come to anticipate the problem and override the auto braking by pressing the accelerator. However, it's potentially a dangerous problem as a tailgater wouldn't foresee the sudden braking and possibly ramming into me.

I'm fairly sure that Volvo's systems have gotten more advanced in the past 6 years, but it was new technology to them at the time. My hunch says that Subaru will likewise experience growing pains.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Compared to my '14 Durango which is radar based I like the eyesight system better for the adaptive cruise control. Both have pros and cons though. My Durango works hard to always keep separation from the car in front so if a car cuts in front of me it will slow down hard to keep the gap. Eyesight is not as aggressive and won't try to widen the gap as quickly, more like how I'd naturally drive.

I do find in some situations eyesight will not slow down as early as I'd like and I end up hitting the brakes before it does. Eyesight will turn off in fog or heavy rain where my Durango radar keeps on working. I haven't had any problems driving on curves with either one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did a dumb and very unscientific test of Eyesight of 2017 Impreza vs 2017 Mazda 3.
The test was holding a price of cloth on the road and drive into it.

EyeSight did warn about obstacle but didn't apply brakes.
Mazda's system didn't even warn.

I was expecting Mazda to do something as it has both radar as well as a single camera.

Very random and unscientific test though and surely doesn't indicate real conditions.

But I think it's still interesting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have used the cruise control several times, it seems to work as it should. When following cars it
will brake a necessary to keep the correct space between cars. at stop lights the car will slow and brake
at the stop light without my help in any way. However, I have been behind some vehicles that were not
recognized by eye sight. You can also select the distance between cars by selecting different bars, more
bars equal greater distance.

As said it works nicely but you still have to observe what is happening, as said in the manual the driver still
must control the car.

Clifton

·
Registered
232 Posts
I didn't intend to make two post, but it posts differently than the preview shows. I wanted to delete one
post but I couldn't. Sorry.

Clifton

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I didn't intend to make two post, but it posts differently than the preview shows. I wanted to delete one
post but I couldn't. Sorry.

Clifton
Took care of that for you. No worries.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have used the cruise control several times, it seems to work as it should. When following cars it
will brake a necessary to keep the correct space between cars.
The one thing I have found is that when the car ahead prepares to exit a highway and moves to the off ramp, slowing, the adaptive cruise control will slow the car much more than a driver would--even braking hard--before seeing the road ahead is free.

We're picking up a Mazda 6 in a few days so we'll have some good comparison between the front and rear radar and the front and rear optical.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine works really well in heavy fast and slow moving traffic here in Los Angeles. Car leave the lane in front of me it speeds up, car pulls in front it slows down

Only car I driven that did it better was a tesla

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just drove from Chicago to Boston (~1000 miles over 2 days) in my daughter's 17 Impreza, with adaptive cruise control on all the time. I am very impressed with how competent the system handles different driving scenarios, including one near-emergency situation where the car in front of me braked suddenly. The system does what an experienced driver would - and it does it very smoothly.

Having said that, I don't have any experience with other systems so I realize this doesn't answer the question asked by the OP.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've already found that Eyesight will not function with too much condensation on the windows, either inside or out.

I suspect that when it experiences severe glare from the sun that it also won't work as intended.

One problem that I've noticed with radar cruise is that it can be slow to resume accelerating after a slower car pulls off or turns. Drivers behind you anticipate that you will return to speed quickly and are tempted to get uncomfortably close anticipating "normal" acceleration. One can override this on our Volvo by pressing the accelerator. I haven't tried with the Subaru.

Another issue is the following distance. You're practicing safe driving habits by setting your cruise to a safe two seconds. Well, some ding dong sees that gap as a perfect space to slide into as they weave in and out of traffic. Of course, your car detects it (we hope) and slows down. Fine that it works as intended, but that void is too inviting for some to ignore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the cruise control regularly on my daily commute and it works great. Probably my favorite feature of the car (2017 Impreza Premium Hatchback). I have found a few situations where you need to be careful:

- Cars merging on the the highway - to be expected since the cars are coming from where the cameras are not looking.

- Cars moving into the lane in front of you very slowly - The system only seems to detect a car in front of you when it is about 1/2 into the lane. If someone moves into your lane very slowly it can be a problem.

- Coming up on stopped traffic on a clear highway - There is a section of my commute that is a regular bottleneck and often has stopped traffic. Before that the road is often clear. When cruising along at 65 - 70 mph and coming up on stopped traffic it doesn't seem to see the cars soon enough. I've never had the nerve to see what it will do. :) I always put on the brakes before the system does.

- Approaching cars around a curve - it doesn't always see the car in front until the road straightens out.

I am rather amazed at how well it does work most of the time, even when cars cut into the lane in front of me quite closely. It usually handles that pretty well as long as the enter the lane quickly.

Overall, I think it's a very good system as long as you learn it's limits. As someone mentioned, it does have problems if the windows are fogged (just turn on the air conditioner for minute and it will clear) and when there is heavy rain or fog (it usually stops working about the time that I'm having trouble seeing the cars in front of me).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Coming up on stopped traffic on a clear highway - There is a section of my commute that is a regular bottleneck and often has stopped traffic. Before that the road is often clear. When cruising along at 65 - 70 mph and coming up on stopped traffic it doesn't seem to see the cars soon enough. I've never had the nerve to see what it will do. :) I always put on the brakes before the system does.
I'll tell you what happens because I've experienced this multiple times...
The car will brake at the last minute and come to a very nerve racking stop. I think I even remember once the obstacle warning come up right before, which is super scary to see and hear.

Agree with everything that was said about knowing the eyesight limitations.
Overall, it's a fantastic system.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I did a dumb and very unscientific test of Eyesight of 2017 Impreza vs 2017 Mazda 3.
The test was holding a price of cloth on the road and drive into it.

EyeSight did warn about obstacle but didn't apply brakes.
Mazda's system didn't even warn.

I was expecting Mazda to do something as it has both radar as well as a single camera.

Very random and unscientific test though and surely doesn't indicate real conditions.

But I think it's still interesting.
Someone else also did a similar "test" lol. (With a previous generation CrossTrek). :D

·
Banned
115 Posts
There is a test on youtube where they put subaru against most every brand that has some sort of driver assist. Subaru was the only company to pass every single test thrown at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eyesight in Mountains
2017 Outback, several trips from Seattle to SF. Love the elec stuff, but have also learned a lot about it.
I want to tell Subaru to restrict the adaptive cruise to a max acceleration of 4000 revs. When I break out from behind an uphill-bound semi, ACC calls for full power right away. Normally we would accelerate slowly, so tgat we gain and hold about 19 mph faster than the truck. But ACC rings up 4500-5000revs, which really pushes that poor 4-banger. I have to kick it out, then renter when things calm down.
Also concerned about visibility Eyesight kicks out frequently in mountains, where it is needed the most. Am wondering if the Mazda system would be better under low visibility conditions which happen frequently above 4,000 feet. Might we see a radar-based component so the ACC could stay functional under low visibility conditions? Wake up, Sub engineers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts