5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Subaru is recalling 25,567 Subaru Impreza vehicles from the 2017 model year due to a rear-view camera freeze problem.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA); “A recall is issued when a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a vehicle, equipment, car seat, or tire creates an unreasonable safety risk or fails to meet minimum safety standards.”

In this case, the backup cameras supplied by Harman has a software glitch that can cause one of two problems. The camera image may show a blank screen during initial boot-up or the screen could freeze if there are too many processes running at the same time. In either case, the rearview camera is rendered useless which could result in the car backing up into pedestrians, animals, walls, etc.

Harman has already provided Subaru with their findings and dealers can fix the problem by updating the Impreza’s infotainment software. This service will be provided for free and the recalls are expected to begin on March 20, 2017.

If you suspect that your car is one of those affected, you can call Subaru’s customer service at 1-800-782-2783 and ask about recall WTN-74. You can also call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and ask about safety campaign #17V132000.

In the meantime, drivers should be extra careful when reversing in the Impreza.

·
Registered
59 Posts
or the screen could freeze if there are too many processes running at the same time.
This part is curious. Might be different from case to case, but form my experience, the Video feed freezes immediately after going from Reverse to Drive, (if I recall correctly) almost always directly after first having turned on the car. Which, if the quote is true, makes me wonder WTH is "processing" within the first few minutes of the car turning on. Possibly everything, but still curious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sad part is I have already had the recall software update done and hate to say it but it is still not 100%.

It is better and more reliable but I still get the strange noise out of the speakers if there is audio playing and you put the car in reverse the first time after it is started.

Also I have had the screen freeze and lost control of volume until I restarted the car three times, each time waiting for everything to power down before restarting and it eventually unstuck and I had control again. This is after the supposed recall update has been done. Not imprezed...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had the entire Infotainment unit replaced and it's still a huge pile of crap. Also beginning to really hate this car. I've had nothing but problems and they "Subaru Corporate" do not seem to care and will not replace the vehicle.

I've got paint defects front and rear bumper, obscene tire noise, vibrations at low and highway speeds, a rattle or clunk from front suspension at under 20mph on broken uneven pavement, annoying rattles and creaks from the interior and the list goes on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure you get the ECM Re-programmed as well due to another recall, if you didn't get this one yet. If you check mysubaru.com it'll show 2 recalls.

Type: Safety | Service Campaign and Recall: WTN74 | NHTSA Campaign: 17V-132000
Rear View Camera Image Failure
Completed

Type: Safety | Service Campaign and Recall: WTP75 | NHTSA Campaign: AWA-ITING#
2017 Impreza ECM Reprogramming

·
Registered
24 Posts
Make sure you get the ECM Re-programmed as well due to another recall, if you didn't get this one yet. If you check mysubaru.com it'll show 2 recalls.

Type: Safety | Service Campaign and Recall: WTN74 | NHTSA Campaign: 17V-132000
Rear View Camera Image Failure
Completed

Type: Safety | Service Campaign and Recall: WTP75 | NHTSA Campaign: AWA-ITING#
2017 Impreza ECM Reprogramming
Thanks for the heads ?. It goes in again on Friday so I'll be sure to ask them to add this on the list of things to get done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts