5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reuters reports that Subaru is investigating possible mileage cheating and trying to verify if data was falsified.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-subaru-scandal/subaru-investigates-possible-mileage-cheating-shares-drop-idUSKBN1EE0MF

Subaru shares have also dropped by 10% over the last two months.

I have been trying hard to raise the city fuel economy of my Impreza but it has not gone up over 21.6 mpg over the last 1500 miles after the 1000 mile break in period.We need to wait and watch :|

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
Subaru claims that our cars should get 28-38mpg. my car has never gotten that.

I see lawsuits.

Of course they say "up to".

·
Registered
45 Posts
When my car had a little over 4,000 miles on it, it get peppier and my gas mileage went up to about 28-29 mpg. I also put high test in when I can. It is like a different car now. I drive on highways with 2-3 thousand feet of altitude one way or the other and the car used to feel very sluggish at times.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm getting around 28-31 mpg, with local driving, no daily freeway driving. I'm in Florida so
no hills.

Clifton

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've been monitoring mine. With my mixed daily driving, i sometimes take the highway to/from work or other things around the city I live in, I also take plenty of surface streets. Car's computer reads in the 29s over the past few thousand miles.

This weekend I'm in Cincinnati OH and the drive down as high as 34 by the end of the nearly 500 mile trip, more than half of which was in a snowstorm. I also am saving data for this trip so I can calculate mileage myself when I get home in a couple days. Of course, in doing that, I'm assuming that the 5 or so gas stations I'll stop at have roughly the same opinion on when to stop filling the tank so that can introduce errors as well.

Unless it's way off, these things are always all over the place; everyone will see something different. How much do you have to stop in your stop & go, how hard do you accelerate, how much is in the car? Highway miles are affected a lot by elevation changes, conditions, etc. So far though, unless the computer in my car is a terrible liar, it doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I generally get about 34mpg combined with traffic in California. I just drove from San Diego to San Francisco and was averaging about 36-37mpg. When I went up hills and passes, it dropped to about 34mpg. I always reset my counter when I fill up, and I usually put in 91 gas for long road trips to keep the inside of my engine clean. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Please do NOT use the trip computer to estimate your actual mileage. The only way to accurately measure milage is by manually measuring the fuel you put into your tank and dividing it by the number of miles you've driven. These "computers" are always 2-3mpg off on the side of Subaru:wink2:

·
Registered
449 Posts
You also will find that your best highway mileage, by far, will be when you are using the cruise control. It will beat your foot on the pedal every time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The dash indicator is consistently about 0.5 mpg optimistic on my car. The driving I do is largely rural (not quite highway) with a mix of city and I average right around 29 mpg when there's no snow.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not sure how the OP is getting only 21.6mpg, must have lots of idling in traffic or a 10000 foot climb both ways to and from work. Before I put snow tires on I was averaging 28mpg around town and as high as 34 mpg on the highway for a 5 hour trip with the cruise set to 72mph. The snows, and probably the winter gas, has dropped mileage by a couple of mpg.

·
Administrator
772 Posts
I'm averaging around 29.5 mpg. I can't complain though because my commute to work is short so it hurts my mileage. However the good thing about that is I can usually go a month and only need to fill up twice. Sometimes once if I do it right.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Please do NOT use the trip computer to estimate your actual mileage. The only way to accurately measure milage is by manually measuring the fuel you put into your tank and dividing it by the number of miles you've driven. These "computers" are always 2-3mpg off on the side of Subaru:wink2:
My 05 Legacy was pretty spot on. If it deviated, it was too high by a small amount in city and too low by a larger amount on highway.

I'd say some comparisons to the manual method are wise initially to help you 'calibrate' how you read the gauge, after that the in-car gauge isn't bad.

Of course, some would say that if you don't always fill at the same pump, your calculations will not be that accurate either :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wish I had a 6th gear. I like to cruise at 80 mph and this thing is just screaming up past 3k rpm. I am still getting approx 25.6 mpg, the computer says 24, so oddly enough I have the reverse problem as everyone else. Mostly city driving for me and I have a 5MT

·
Registered
9 Posts
20 mpg?!?

I see that there are others who have experienced the same terrible gas mileage (20-23 mpg in town; better on the highway). I also read the Reuters article stating that mileage estimates may have been falsified. I've reported my issues to Subaru and, to date, they've only provided generic excuses. If the gas mileage has been misreported, what recourse does anyone have? Has anyone looked into this? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
I see that there are others who have experienced the same terrible gas mileage (20-23 mpg in town; better on the highway). I also read the Reuters article stating that mileage estimates may have been falsified. I've reported my issues to Subaru and, to date, they've only provided generic excuses. If the gas mileage has been misreported, what recourse does anyone have? Has anyone looked into this? Thanks for your help.
Hi and welcome.

As a consumer there isn't a lot we can do, unless you are a multi millionaire and want to take Subaru to court for years of litigation over gas millage on your 24k car.

Government agencies will go after Subaru and fine them if it turns out they lied. And maybe consumers will get something from Subaru (don't count on it).

It will all come down to the wording and Subaru is very careful that the millage is "up to" a certain number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suppose that if enough people made noise about it, they'd have to do something (whatever that is). Not holding my breath. But, thinking of selling the car and cutting my losses. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts