5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
My commute to work is 2 miles each way. I do this twice a day because I go home for my lunch break. I average 15-17 mpg so I guess I am in the low side of mpg. If I happen to take it on the highway I have gotten 31 mpg best :/

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm getting about 34 90% highway miles.
Which is about the highest I've seen anyone be getting. I also do not burn oil.

I wonder if theres any correlation there.

And the girl has a Kia soul, she gets a check every few months in regards to the actual mpg being far under what it is rated for.

I would be all into pressing this hard. Subies have some of the most outspoken and active owners on the web.
38mpg is a big reason I got this.
My buddies 18 crosstrek is way worse though, like 27, even though it should be very comparable to the impreza.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
We could start an online petition for owners to state their actual mileage and sign, followed by a preprinted block of text stating the mileage is no where near stated ratings, as well as a link to complain to the proper channels at the EPA.

Enough dissent and noise should get the ball moving. Kia and Hyundai both had to reimburse consumers and they were off by 1-6mpg. From what I see, we are off by 4-10mpg. That's a huge number especially if you are logging 25k+ miles a year like me.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,168 Posts
Guys, the Subaru website STILL says: "MPG** up to 38/28 Hwy/City.

"up to"

Do you see that? You bought a car that can get "up to" a certain gas millage.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im at 26k or so and have the odometer set for when i hit 20k and am at 27.6 mpg with 80/20 highway to street driving

·
Registered
135 Posts
At 14 fill ups I am averaging 36 mpg. I do mostly highway driving and use the cruise as much as possible.
This is calculated not from the car computer. I used to calculate with my last car and averaged 39 mpg, I knew this car would be lower and am happy with what I am getting. I do approx 100 miles round trip 6 days a week.

·
Registered
778 Posts
How best to "press" this, though? Open to suggestions...
so are you just trying to get out of your car because the mileage is off some?

I am not sure that there is anything you or anybody else can do. unless of course you have unlimited funds and time on your hands to file a suit against Subaru and spend the next 3-5 years in litigation only to be told they claimed you can get "up to" a certain mileage. but since you bought an Impreza I am guessing you don't have unlimited funds.

you can always email SOA and lodge a complaint. they will tell you to take it to your dealer and have the car checked out. which means they are gonna be driving your car for some time just to get an accurate account of mileage. so my suggestion would be drive the car, fill it up when it gets low and keep on driving. enjoy the car for what it is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This all varies on so many conditions. The one having the most effect is driving style. I was getting 22.2 mpg for the first few thousand miles of mainly city driving. Now that everything is "broken in" I do drive a little sportier and I'm averaging 21.6 MPG. My car sees very little highway and I expect my mpg to be on the lower end of the scale. I'll take 21.6 over the 12.3 I was getting in my Denali as a daily driver.

·
Registered
778 Posts
we do a lot of driving, different places all the time. our daughter races mountain bikes so we are always going to different elevations and whatnot. on average our car gets 27-29mpg just normal daily driving. on long highway trips I can get it to average about 31. now, once we start up the mountains and into higher elevations the mileage drops off to around 24-26. but even climbing and hard on the gas ours has never gotten below 23mpg. and this is usually with about 50lbs of gear inside the car and 2 bikes on the roof that weigh about 60lbs total not counting the roof racks. our car is well broken in with a lil over 23,000 miles, so maybe that helps maybe it don't?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have just over 2,000 miles on mine, and I'm getting around 28-29. That is mostly rural driving, and some interstate. The computer was close on one fill up at about .5 mpg off. Next fill up, it was off 1.7 mpg. So, it's scatterbrained so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like a plan, especially as doing so will not involve great expense, time, lawyers (as others have suggested, etc.). But, when you say that Kia and Hyundai "reimbursed" customers, how did they do that? What did they give them. Wondering if it's worth whatever time and energy is necessary. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Both are similar.
Reimbursement is based off the difference in actual MPG vs stated MPG. Based on actual mileage accrued and regional average gas prices. They even throw in 15% bonus. She gets a check cut every few months from Kia.

Sorry, but this not one of those just accept it type things. It is a legitimate gripe and false advertising. I know I would have looked much more at a Civic hatchback if the mpg difference was 8 mpg(real life) vs 1 (EPA estimates) and I'm a Subaru guy. I've had 7.

https://kiampginfo.com/overview/compensation/

https://hyundaimpginfo.com/customerinfo/compensation-information/

·
Registered
377 Posts
In my mind, there are many leadfooted drivers expecting higher MPG than their driving-habits will allow.

Every vehicle I have EVER owned returned HIGHER MPG than the window-sticker. I have now put about 7 tanks of fuel thru my gen5 Impreza..... AVERAGING over 35MPG on every tank of fuel.

HOWEVER: My driving-habits are nothing like the stringent EPA testing procedure. Most people who have read thru the EPA testing process wonder how that matches ANYONES normal driving-habits.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Both are similar.
Reimbursement is based off the difference in actual MPG vs stated MPG. Based on actual mileage accrued and regional average gas prices. They even throw in 15% bonus. She gets a check cut every few months from Kia.

Sorry, but this not one of those just accept it type things. It is a legitimate gripe and false advertising. I know I would have looked much more at a Civic hatchback if the mpg difference was 8 mpg(real life) vs 1 (EPA estimates) and I'm a Subaru guy. I've had 7.

https://kiampginfo.com/overview/compensation/

https://hyundaimpginfo.com/customerinfo/compensation-information/

as someone who has been in his fair share of the new Civic Hatch's, even if it got the mileage they claimed I would not buy one. while Honda does have the reputation of lasting a long time, the new Civic Hatch is just simply too plain inside. they are also a biatch to tint the rear glass. I would choose the new Impreza hands down over the Civic every time. that is just my .02 though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Petition

How do we start a petition?

We could start an online petition for owners to state their actual mileage and sign, followed by a preprinted block of text stating the mileage is no where near stated ratings, as well as a link to complain to the proper channels at the EPA.

Enough dissent and noise should get the ball moving. Kia and Hyundai both had to reimburse consumers and they were off by 1-6mpg. From what I see, we are off by 4-10mpg. That's a huge number especially if you are logging 25k+ miles a year like me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In my mind, there are many leadfooted drivers expecting higher MPG than their driving-habits will allow.

Every vehicle I have EVER owned returned HIGHER MPG than the window-sticker. I have now put about 7 tanks of fuel thru my gen5 Impreza..... AVERAGING over 35MPG on every tank of fuel.

HOWEVER: My driving-habits are nothing like the stringent EPA testing procedure. Most people who have read thru the EPA testing process wonder how that matches ANYONES normal driving-habits.
I'm having a hard time saying whether mine is significantly off. The computer is definitely off compared to my calculations, probably moreso than it was in my 05 Legacy GT. I will also say that I could beat EPA on highway in my old Legacy but I don't think I can necessarily even reach EPA in my 17 Impreza Sport 5 door.

In the city, once they revised the mileage estimate for my 05 Legacy GT (it was 19, they eventually changed it to 17) I'd say I was pretty close. Sometimes higher, definitely lower in winter.

I don't do a lot of just city driving in the Impreza but my mixed usage is averaging around 27. In fact, according to Fuelio my best fillup was 32.67mpg, my worst was 24.76.

Am I upset over it? No. Is it partly to do with how I drive? Sure. That said, based on previous cars I think it could probably be doing a bit better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get in the mid 30's with my 2019 Impreza 5 door. I work EMS so the car is loaded with gear. This is for mixed driving. Low 30's for intown driving and upper 30's if driving roads with a limit of 55.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts