5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My 18 (base) needs rear brakes and rotors done, and the fronts might need to be done next year or so. Kinda surprised that it's needed since I don't drive as much as most people and am still only at around 23000 miles. Probably will check to be sure it REALLY needs the job done.

A friend of mine (who is very good with car maintenance) offered to teach me how to perform the job, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding brake and rotors to go with (OEM or aftermarket is fine, but not looking for anything special or sporty, just standard stuff).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
Don't get slotted/drilled brake no matter what anyone tells you - unless your '18 is being autocrossed every weekend, or you're doing races at Laguna Seca, there's really no need. You're going to wear out your pads sooner using them too.

Standard oem vented discs and oem-like pads will suite you just fine. I don't know the process for these brakes specifically, if you can just remove one bolt that holds the caliper and pivot it up, or have to remove both, but if you remove both bolts, make sure you don't let the caliper hang from the brake line.

If you find pads separate, try to make sure they come with brake hardware (little folded metal strips) to help with the brakes moving smoothly in the caliper.

Other than that, best of luck! Not a challenging bit of maintenance, just takes some time.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the information! I appreciate the response.

Due to my health conditions I've not really been able to do a lot of hands on maintenance learning - but I am looking forward to rectifying that! Next time I'll try to do my own oil change too.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
No problem! A lot of the maintenance that you can learn carries from car to car, with only specifics being tied to the car - i.e. my Isuzu uses what's called a 'captive' wheel hub at the front due to the 4WD. Makes brakes a huge pain for the front, but it also means hub replacement is super easy.

Oil change wise, I totally, 100% recommend getting a Fumoto oil drain valve. First time you install it you get under and have to do an oil change like a typical manner, but afterwards you never need to jack up the car again, just reach under, pull the valve lock off, and then open the valve. Second, third, and other oil changes take five minutes.

(EDIT: added link to fumoto, I specifically chose the short-nipple valve, but the long-nipple valve will also work well, and not affect your ground clearance. The engine drain is recessed far enough from the bottom of the chassis.)

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I will keep this noted down!

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
650 Posts
Why rotors at 23k? If you're gonna do it then check this out

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mostly due to being told to do so, (or a resurface)
Will get a second opinion about it. I’ve had light pedal pressure squeeling and was told the rotor was at fault years ago but nothing that needed immediate attention, so maybe it’s related to that.

Definitely will be getting a second opinion before I do anything.

thanks for the link. I’ll price it out, but don’t really need the upgrade so unless it’s similar I probably won’t bother. I’ve always found the braking performance to be sufficient.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
423 Posts
I've always had great luck with centric blanks with black painted hubs (Rockauto sells). If you're just needing daily driving pads, Wagner has always been good and comes with new caliper clips.

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Sport CVT
69 Posts
I have R1 concepts pads and rotors on my car and they do great. pads and rotors all the way around was 288$ after tax and i love the way they work they feel great and have held up well for the 10k miles on them.

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hatch 5-Speed Manual
280 Posts
I also got R1 rotors and pads all the way around and have had good luck with them. Mine are drilled and slotted, purely for aesthetics because I upgraded the wheels. They are also Zinc coated to help keep them looking nice for a little longer.

I am surprised that you are needing brakes so soon. Kinda sounds like there might be something up with the caliper. Maybe the sliding pins need cleaned and re-lubed.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for the input. Yeah, I was surprised too.

Hmm perhaps, I'm having a second estimate done to confirm anything shortly. I'll ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts