5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to swap out a manual transmission and replaced it with a cvt? does anyone think they know most of the procedure?

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
320 Posts
5 bucks says nobody has tried that.

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
45 Posts
This would be a situation where trading your vehicle in some sort of agreed like-in-kind exchange with another Impreza owner may be the easiest course of action.

There's more than likely someone that would like to return back to having a manual that, assuming you've both done proper care of the vehicle that is documented, could work out with minimal effort, besides some sales/title paperwork (depending on loan situation).

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,227 Posts
I tend to agree with what others have mentioned. While anything is possible with enough time and money, I think you'd be better served to trade with someone or a dealer. Gone are the days where you can just swap out the hardware and bolt it up and you are done. Now the electronics / CANbus are so integral to the car running it's, hard to say what will and won't work even after you swap out the ECU and TCU. There may be system inputs like the eyesight functions you don't have with a manual, that may be required for the CVT to have a signal. This is just conjecture on my part, there are just so many unknowns, which I'm sure is why you are asking. Like Subarik said, I bet no one has tried it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Another vote to trade for another vehicle with the xMission you desire.
  • On AUTOMATIC xMission Subaru's, the AWD system is tightly coupled to xMission function.
  • On MANUAL xmission Subaru's, the AWD system is different.

It is my understanding, the center differential for AUTOMATIC xMission is electronically controlled while the MANUAL uses a viscous coupling.

Hence, you may be digging a deeper hole than you want.

UPDATE: I have been corrected on the general definition of "Symmetrical All Wheel Drive"

·
Registered
7 Posts
BruceP is absolutely right, the 5MT uses a purely mechanical AWD system with a viscous center differential and 50:50 front/rear torque split (still symmetrical if I’m not mistaken). The CVT model uses an electronically controlled active torque split with nominal 60:40 f/r torque. The latter is more complex with more things that can go wrong but is part of the reason for better gas mileage of CVT models (i.e., it’s not just gear and final drive ratio differences). Personally I love my 5MT for its mechanical simplicity and fun to drive factor.

E/E has an excellent description of the differences here:

Long story short, you can’t swap transmissions. Swap cars instead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
W/kg is correct. The viscous differential used in our manual Subarus is still symmetrical.

I loved my 2012 6MT Legacy. However, living very close to both one of the largest auto auctions , and one of the largest indoor sports centers in the US, our traffic is pretty ferocious. I enjoy my CVT Imp, and my wife loves hers, also. And when she needs to drive my car, the peace and tranquility that ensue, are worth my stepping away from the MT world. And I also so enjoy the CVT excellent mileage...

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hatch 5-Speed Manual
178 Posts
"Gone are the days where you can just swap out the hardware and bolt it up and you are done."
Very true and very sad!

Being most into modifying cars in the early 2000's with my Civic Si and WRX, the only electrical stuff you had to worry about was the ECU. Everything else was just "get it to fit in there and work"

·
Registered
492 Posts
The viscous differential used in our manual Subarus is still symmetrical.
Perhaps so..... But Subaru themselves only tags the AUTOMATIC xMission models with "Symmetrical All Wheel Drive" I have never seen the tag on a MANUAL model.

Lets not forget that the AUTOMATIC xMission models use the ABS system and its ability to apply brakes to individual wheels to augment the AWD abilities. This means that the torque can be sent to ANY wheel on-demand based on wheelspeed sensors.

The MANUAL xMission models simply distribute the torque based on viscus coupling in the center.... and OPEN differentials on the ends. There is not much 'symmetry' compared to the other system. The torque CANNOT be directed to an individual wheel. The best it can do is ensure the front/rear driveshafts are driven equally.

UPDATE: I have been corrected on the general definition of "Symmetrical All Wheel Drive" . I had thought it meant how the torque was distributed... but it is just a buzzword which has no specific meaning beyond "equal-length driveshafts to the wheels".

·
Registered
7 Posts
BruceP, it may be a marketing difference but in Canada manual models are indeed labeled as symmetrical AWD. Torque transfer is achieved by braking of the open differential front or back.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have never seen the tag on a MANUAL model.
My 18' 5MT says it, or are you referencing something more specific that I'm not picking up on?

At any rate, Symmetrical AWD is looked at longitudinal. If you were to cut a line down the center of the car front to back, the left and right side are mirrors of each other.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
210 Posts
From what I always understood, the "symmetrical" part of our AWD systems is that the the drivetrain's physical attributes and not necessarily the torque split. Like @Buzzbomb mentioned, it's a longitudinally-mounted engine with equal-length half-shafts going to the wheels.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,227 Posts
  • On MANUAL xmission Subaru's, the AWD system is different. (NOT Symmetrical All Wheel Drive)
Your point on the manual being mostly mechanical and the automatic being electronic is a good one. Two different systems.

The Symmetry refers to the layout of the drive train . Centrally located motor and the driveshafts are the same length. I'm pretty sure they have for the most part always been this way but marketing glommed on it as a buzz word.

https://www.fergusonsubaru.com/subaru-symmetrical-all-wheel-drive.htm

This is the badge on my Impreza which is a manual

·
Registered
440 Posts
The "symmetrical AWD" moniker is just sales hype; it means nothing technically. And, yes, swapping transmissions is a dumb idea.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The "symmetrical AWD" moniker is just sales hype; it means nothing technically.
No. As stated by myself and others, it has nothing to do with the power split. It's the layout of the drive train. It is true from a technical standpoint and Subaru has chosen to use that for marketing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its not worth it. It would be a complete drivetrain swap as well as the main bulkhead wiring harness. As others said, its easier to trade in for a autotragic cvt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts